GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSB's, and my oil consumption problem

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
I see that the Doc requires login to view, I didn't post the PDF because it's a few pages. It's the local library so, yea. If asked, I'll try to figure out how to get a link up to share. Otherwise, just log in, or go to your own public library and go to the chiltonlibrary feature.
I haven't gone anywhere with this since I found it. I'll have more time after the first of the year. If anyone has checked out, please post up.
Thanks,
Jon.

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, here's the thing in PDF. If I read it correctly, the TSB requires an oil consumption test, and if it is determined to be above the limit, it can be repaired under warranty. This interpretation is prior to speaking to a technician so they may not fix it under warranty. We'll see.

Attachments

• 17-18-06 - Oil Consumption Measurement.pdf
    279.6 KB · Views: 53

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I mean props if you get them to warranty any sort of oil consumption issues but this is likely to be a PCV issue in most cases, and maybe failing turbo or head gasket on the backend. The key is to check for oil in the boost lines, intercooler pipes, etc, or smoke from the exhaust... bluish in tint.

Outside of checking those yourself, TSBs don't grant extended warranty work to be done which is why that's gonna be a big stretch for you to have them suss out the cause and repair or rectify it.

Imnewtothis

i know I’m just adding to this but I just got a GTI 2012 126k miles and I have smoke coming from my exhaust it runs and drives fine other than a slight hanging idle for 3 seconds at 1k Rpm then it goes down to what is considered normal
Roughly burning 0.5 Liters per 450 miles.
I’m hoping it is just the PCV because I have already dumped so much into this thing and it’s my daily driver
So far
New Water pump
New upper lower timing cover gaskets
New timing chain tensioner
New upper intake gasket
New Fuel Pump
New MAF Sensor and Assembly

Right now I’m running Castrol Full Synthetic high mileage.

Previous owner
Installed a down pipe with no tune
And claims the PCV was replaced

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
I replaced the PCV early on because I'm all about cheap and easy. I asked the guy at Zinda's (sorry I can't remember your name) and he said it could be head gasket and that I might think about fuel additives. I can't say that I expect warranty work to get done, but the alternative is like you said. Either this big repair, or that one. So, lets see what they have to say.

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
They're going to do an oil consumption test where they drain all the oil and replace it with a pre-measured amount. I'll drive the car 650 miles and return it for inspection. They've determined that 1 quart every 1500 miles is excessive. (It might have been 1000, I'll double check) This test is going to cost me $185 out of pocket. Since my car is out of warranty at 109K, any repair will be contingent on whatever code the computer is tossing out. The combination of a fault and the oil consumption may qualify me for the partial warranty that goes up to 150K. He mentioned an example of the cam sensor being oil fed and throwing a code, but with no CEL, I'm not sure if I can expect much. I'll have to review my manual for warranty specs. I'm not finding what I need online.
I'm fulling counting on the integrity of the dealership for the results of this test, but then I guess that's always the case. It's my hope that, at the very least, they'll identify the cause of the oil loss.

Last edited:

Imnewtothis

They're going to do an oil consumption test where they drain all the oil and replace it with a pre-measured amount. I'll drive the car 650 miles and return it for inspection. They've determined that 1 quart every 1500 miles is excessive. (It might have been 1000, I'll double check) This test is going to cost me $185 out of pocket. Since my car is out of warranty at 109K, any repair will be contingent on whatever code the computer is tossing out. The combination of a fault and the oil consumption may qualify me for the partial warranty that goes up to 150K. He mentioned an example of the cam sensor being oil fed and throwing a code, but with no CEL, I'm not sure if I can expect much. I'll have to review my manual for warranty specs. I'm not finding what I need online.
I'm fulling counting on the integrity of the dealership for the results of this test, but then I guess that's always the case. It's my hope that, at the very least, they'll identify the cause of the oil loss.
I hope the best I’ve read a lot of threads about dealerships doing this please keep us updated !!! I have 124k miles

Imnewtothis

Your original post stated that you were losing 1 quart every 500 miles based on spec it’s 1 quart every 1200 miles is within specifications of course that’s according to the manual I’m sure they put that there to save them money

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
So I guess there are some leaks that need to be fixed first. They have the parts on hand and are happy to do the work for me. It's the drain plug as well as the valve cover gasket, and for the low, low price of $672.83 for parts and labor. As I understand it, these need to be performed before the oil consumption test can happen. I'll have to be careful I don't sprain my finger giving them the bird. (j/k)
That's the voice mail. It'll be an hour before I can pick up the car.
Edit-Okay, he was fairly cool about it and didn't charge me anything. He was like, "fix this and fix that and we'll see about doing the test". Right on.

Last edited:

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
It's been weeks after the oil change when I discovered the two washers on the drain plug. My oil burning problem seems to have nearly vanished. It still goes through a bit, but not nearly as much.
I almost wish it would have been more serious so I could have reported back, but in the end, it was a simple problem with a simple solution.