GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuner-Friendly Dealers - Propose a list . . .

James9449

Ready to race!
I'd like to propose a list of Tune-Friendly VW dealers. Straight list, regional list, whatever. At least this would give some of us enthusiasts a better idea of which dealers are more attuned to those of us who want to mod our GTI's (or other models).

I'd suggest the list just be a simple one, with a somewhat useful format. For example:

Dealer Name Location Friendly Tolerant Unfriendly

DOPEY-V-DUB CROAKUS, NJ --- --- Very
____________ ___________ ____ ____ ____

Details / Comments

This dealer's service department inquired about my mods, then demanded that I take my car away, remove them all and then bring my car back for routine service. They said that any (ANY) mod voided the warranty, which we all know is untrue . . . Most unpleasant, to the point of hostility . . .
etc., etc.

Thoughts, comments ?

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. Good idea.

Douglas VW - Summit, NJ

Details / Comments

Authorized APR dealer. Service reps are familiar with APR products. Fast and friendly service. They will inform you that installing APR products will affect warranty.

Lash VW - White Plains, NY

Authorized APR dealer. Service reps are not all too familiar with APR products. They claim to sell / install anything APR makes however. Had my ECU tuned here and while the service reps were lacking, the actual tech working on my car was very knowledgeable and friendly.

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
Texas: NONE.

Just kidding....

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Cardinale Way in Corona, Ca.

Friendly as long as you aren't trying to pull any wool over their eyes.

SargeMKVI

Semper Fi!
Wallace VW - Stuart,FL

Told me that even if the parts were VW (Xenons) they will void the warantee.

Performance VW - Melbourne,FL

STAY AWAY! Go to the Audi/Porche dealer. Certified APR dealer

Bender1

Banned
I am mixed on this idea.

I certainly don't want to lay someone out there to later be burned for VWoA for authorizing too much warranty work or suggest someone who is amazing for me that then gives someone else a hard time for a very specific reason.

Not saying don't do it... just expressing my concerns.

James9449

Ready to race!
Bender -- I see your point. That's always a risk though, one person having a good experience with a given dealer, then someone else having difficulty. Any service experience involves the demeanor and understanding of both the servicing dealer and the customer, so there may often be some discrepancy about quality of service provided.

But I think there are some dealerships who are easier for tuner-folk to deal with. My intent was to prompt some sort of comprehensive list of dealers who accept those who mod their cars, with a list of those who might be contentious. Forum members with various mods would then feel a little more comfortable finding a specific dealer.

Someone somewhere on this forum mentioned that, even if you think a mod is invisible or undetectable to the servicing dealer, it's always best to be up front about what's been done to the vehicle. I subscribe to this wholeheartedly . . .

Randum

Go Kart Champion
City VW in Chicago

APR Dealer - so long as your part didn't destroy the car, they will service your vehicle. And be rational about any warranty claims.

Dee1

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed. Good idea.

Douglas VW - Summit, NJ

Details / Comments

Authorized APR dealer. Service reps are familiar with APR products. Fast and friendly service. They will inform you that installing APR products will affect warranty.

Lash VW - White Plains, NY

Authorized APR dealer. Service reps are not all too familiar with APR products. They claim to sell / install anything APR makes however. Had my ECU tuned here and while the service reps were lacking, the actual tech working on my car was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Hmmm. Lash isn't far from me. I wonder if I could talk to the tech guy ahead of time, to ask questions.

Or can you talk only to the service reps?

Dave, who really does wonder if tuning the engine makes it last less time

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
might i say that if you do plan on doing this list. let's make a google doc spread sheet that everyone can look at and then people could edit it by state and etc. would truly make it a comprehensible list.

allset

Go Kart Champion