GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyrol Sport Shifter Bushings Review

allset

Go Kart Champion
im trying to decide which to get

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Remember, the mk6 has a plastic bracket which flexes compared to the mkv that was steel.

im trying to decide which to get

I will have a review up shortly with the Tyrol bushings and 42DD end link bushings... may take a look at the MK5 steel bracket while I'm there.

allset

Go Kart Champion
why are the 42 better than Tyrols? I know nothing about either

allset

Go Kart Champion

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I installed mine last night. A few pointers:

1. Remove the battery and battery tray. This makes accessing the 3 bolt much easier. Takes more time but is worth the effort.
2. Make sure you have a 1/2" deep socket + extension before starting. 13mm deep socket works but don't crank on it too much.
3. I had to pull off my DG shifter to get enough clearance to access the bolts.
4. Don't drop the bushings!

The shifting is a little notchier but it wasn't as big of an improvement as when I installed the DG SSK. For the amount of time for the install vs it will not take out as much play as a full SSK.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I installed mine last night. A few pointers:

1. Remove the battery and battery tray. This makes accessing the 3 bolt much easier. Takes more time but is worth the effort.
2. Make sure you have a 1/2" deep socket + extension before starting. 13mm deep socket works but don't crank on it too much.
3. I had to pull off my DG shifter to get enough clearance to access the bolts.
4. Don't drop the bushings!

The shifting is a little notchier but it wasn't as big of an improvement as when I installed the DG SSK. For the amount of time for the install vs it will not take out as much play as a full SSK.
Was there still a bit of play when you just had the DG SSK or did adding the bushings removal all the play? I wonder if the bracket bushings fix the shift play I seem to experience when the car gets warmer vs cold and how the shifter gets sloppier on warm days

I ordered the shifter bracket bushings from verdict motorsports, and right now I have the 42dd, going to try this before going with diesel geek

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Was there still a bit of play when you just had the DG SSK or did adding the bushings removal all the play? I wonder if the bracket bushings fix the shift play I seem to experience when the car gets warmer vs cold and how the shifter gets sloppier on warm days

I ordered the shifter bracket bushings from verdict motorsports, and right now I have the 42dd, going to try this before going with diesel geek

To be fair, I think my shifter has more play than other GTI's I've been in. The DG SSK took out most of the slop and the Tyrol bushings only took out a little which was to be expected.

Honestly get the DG SSK, it'll cost more but you'll get less play in the shifter due to the aluminum brackets and delrin pieces. Don't expect miracles with this kit alone. You notice more with the DG SSK because more of the shifter components are being replaced.

This kit would be more of an improvement on a higher mileage car. The rubber bushings + metal sleeves that are pressed into the plastic bracket are pretty stiff to begin with. Either wait until the get soft or put them in now to future proof the transmission.