GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unibrace RB review....>>

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Really liking my RB. A more detailed review to come.

bobt23821

Ready to race!
Hey bud, just use a drop of BLUE Loc-Tite on the bolts. I don't know about torque specs for the 4 RB bolts but hand tighten them in an 'X' pattern until their snug - that should be good enough.

Tight..:D

Don't sweat the details...

HAHA. Got it in yesterday. Used a drop of BLUE Loc-Tite.

Had to remove the OEM Golf TDI exhaust hanger bracket when installing the RB. The hanger bracket is where the spacer is placed. Not sure if the GTI's have the same bracket, as you know, the GTI exhaust is different than the Golf TDI. Really not an issue for me, as I had the catback nuffler removed when my "prototype Banks catback exhaust" was installed awhile ago.

Didn't try attaching the bracket to the front of the RB. Looked like the bolts were too short to span the combined thickness of the bracket, spacer, and RB. Additionally, the exhaust grommet was too large to hang down and align with the Banks hanger bracket.

OK, Bruce emailed me and I looked at the OEM exhaust sitting in my shed and it appears that the bracket pictured above is NOT OEM!
Just want to clarify so TDI owners arn't put off mt my issues.

Here is what I sent Bruce: "took the OEM exhaust with me just incase I need to reinstall it during the CA biannual smog check. I'll find out in Feb when mine is due.
Well, I just looked at the OEM exhust hanger points. Appears that what I removed is probably NOT an OEM hanger bracket! THere is nothing on the OEM setup that remotely resembles an attachment for what I took off. So, I'll bet that Banks added that bracket to attech their setup. Just coincidnce that it happeneded to be the same attachment pint as your RB. I'm sure that another TDI owner can verify this for you though.

I'll also try and contact the Banks folks and see if they can answer the bracket question!"

Didn't have time to drive the car to gather any impressions.

Thanks for the help, gents.

Last edited:

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
HAHA. Got it in yesterday. Used a drop of BLUE Loc-Tite.

Had to remove the OEM Golf TDI exhaust hanger as it would not "work" with my "prototype Banks catback exhaust". Moreover, this hanger bracket is where the spacer is placed.

Didn't have time to drive the car to gather any impressions.

Thanks for the help, gents.

Bob, and the rest of you too actually, I'm sure Bruce would appreciate a quick email to let him know about any oddities or necessary modifications you came across during your installs. Will help him to build up a knowledge base for future customers and any possible revisions to the brace's design.

info@unibrace.com

:thumbsup:

bobt23821

Ready to race!
Bob, and the rest of you too actually, I'm sure Bruce would appreciate a quick email to let him know about any oddities or necessary modifications you came across during your installs. Will help him to build up a knowledge base for future customers and any possible revisions to the brace's design.

info@unibrace.com

Email sent to Bruce. Good call Lodi!

GTItraveler

Ready to race!
According to bobt the strange hanger was part of a Banks prototype exhaust that was not put into production.

As lodi said I am really happy to receive product feedback. TIA to everyone. Bruce

Last edited:

bobt23821

Ready to race!
According to Banks website, the exhaust hanger that I had to remove is definitely part of their catback Banks Monster exhaust system.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/405/96

You can see the bracket install location from the above link. Additional detailed pictures are available from their install manual that can be downloaded.

I have had no issues with their exhaust sinc removing the bracket.

lemarin

Ready to race!
Anyone knows if the RB would fit a MK6 Golf R ? I ordered them 3, but forgot to ask them about the RB.....

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
Anyone knows if the RB would fit a MK6 Golf R ? I ordered them 3, but forgot to ask them about the RB.....

I don't believe the RB will work with an R, but you should email Bruce at info@unibrace.com to make sure it hasn't been updated.

lemarin

Ready to race!
Thanks for the answer....unfortunately it's not fitting the R....so I ordered it for nothing !

I'll resale it with rebate, if anyone is interrested, please PM me.