GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic vs S3 Intercooler for mk6 GTI

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
curious as to the differences, which fits better, which performs better, which is cheaper, what's the best place to acquire theme, your personal experiences, etc.

Gets hot where I live so I wanna be kind to my car while also getting some more ponies :)

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Unitronic IC will always perform better but as far as bang for your buck, you can't beat the S3 intercooler. I have the Golf R IC which is the same thing as the S3 just with plastic end tanks and it does the job just fine here in SoCal with my Frankenturbo.

I have no complaints!

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
So the Golf R and S3 intercoolers are the same, was wondering about that. What's the price difference between the two? From what I have heard the S3 is good for the KO3 and K04 but nothing above that and the Uni is good for KO3 K04 and above. How good does the Uni perform compared to the S3? Like is it worth paying for if your want the best performance out of the stock KO3 turbo and maybe even a KO4 upgrade down the road. Or is the price difference too much compared to the performance difference?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So the Golf R and S3 intercoolers are the same, was wondering about that. What's the price difference between the two? From what I have heard the S3 is good for the KO3 and K04 but nothing above that and the Uni is good for KO3 K04 and above. How good does the Uni perform compared to the S3? Like is it worth paying for if your want the best performance out of the stock KO3 turbo and maybe even a KO4 upgrade down the road. Or is the price difference too much compared to the performance difference?

Yup same Intercooler just one has plastic end tanks. It was a lot cheaper than an aftermarket option when I was looking. Basically in my opinion, and some may disagree if you are staying with the stock IHI, you don't need anything more than the S3 intercooler. If you're like me with a F23T or you're getting a K04, then you may want the Unitronic but the difference won't be crazy between it and the S3 intercooler unless it's blazing hot where you are.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
I live in NY so its gets around 95 100 in the summer. and I may go KO4 at some point not sure still, I am going stage 2 Uni soon so Ill make up my mind then. But I found a AWE S3 intercooler kit for $539 and the Uni kit is going for $699. so 160 dollars difference. :/

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I live in NY so its gets around 95 100 in the summer. and I may go KO4 at some point not sure still, I am going stage 2 Uni soon so Ill make up my mind then. But I found a AWE S3 intercooler kit for $539 and the Uni kit is going for $699. so 160 dollars difference. :/

Well if that's the diff then I'd get the uni. When I got my R IC I got it for $500 but that included labor so it made sense

Sent from my BendGate Plus.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
we were in the 90's this weekend and I can tell the s3 was heat soaking like mad. but I run w/m so I don't get hit so bad. if I didn't like I have before the car is so sluggish. definitely worth getting the bigger intercooler I would say. take it from me who has the s3 + k04 you want a bigger intercooler

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
we were in the 90's this weekend and I can tell the s3 was heat soaking like mad. but I run w/m so I don't get hit so bad. if I didn't like I have before the car is so sluggish. definitely worth getting the bigger intercooler I would say. take it from me who has the s3 + k04 you want a bigger intercooler

Dude, with WMI even someone on the stock IC should be fine. If I didn't already have the S3 cooler and WMI myself, I would have gone with the neuspeed FMIC....and still get WMI of course :)

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Thinking heavily on the Unitronic Intercooler, but the Neuspeed INtercooler kit caught my eye and I'm wondering the differences here.

http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/neuspeed-mk6-front-mount-intercooler-10-14-gti-12-13-golf-r

Does the Unitronic sit in the stock position behind the radiator and the Neuspeed sits in front of everything? That's what I am gathering anyways, also what are the differences in performance?

Yes, the Unitronic sits in the stock position out of sight while the Neuspeed sits infront where it is visible through your front lower grill.

There is no actual data comparing the two but pretty much the Unitronic has a lot more cooling capacity but where the Neuspeed shines is the fact that it is not sandwiched between two other components generating heat. Not to mention once the car starts moving the Neuspeed is getting fresh air hitting it right off the bat.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
So its safe to say they are almost the same performance wise, the increased cooling capacity of the Unitronic making up for the fact that it sits behind everything, while the Neuspeed uses the fact its front and center. Would you say its easier to install the Uni than the Neuspeed seeing that the Uni uses the stock position?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So its safe to say they are almost the same performance wise, the increased cooling capacity of the Unitronic making up for the fact that it sits behind everything, while the Neuspeed uses the fact its front and center. Would you say its easier to install the Uni than the Neuspeed seeing that the Uni uses the stock position?

Pretty much, at lest that is the consensus since there are no logs comparing the two. Once the car starts moving and air hits the Neuspeed.... the temps drop quicker than the if it were in the stock position.

As for installation, the Neuspeed is a lot easier. Taking apart the front end to get to the stock location can be a royal pain. I was able to install my Neuspeed (back when I had it) in about an hour and half.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
But once the Neuspeed is in place wouldn't you want to remove the stock intercooler since its not doing anything in there?