GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Value of vws keeps plummeting

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
Is it just me or is the value of vws just keep getting worse an worse... I swear that 2-3 months ago my 2012 Gti was valued at 14k an yesterday I checked on kbb the value of my Gti is now 12k or less.... I have a 2012 gli an that is valued at around 11k... Was looking into trading both the cars in for just 1... Choice is either a mk7 golf or Gti or go the small suv route .... Baby on the way.... How do I justify getting into another Vw knowing my resale value is going to be horrendous..
... I'm thinking of keepin the gli cause il need a 4 door an just trade the Gti for a Mazda CX-5 an take a massive hit as its about 18k I owe on it... Reason y I would not trade the gli in as its at 13k an I'm lookin at buying a house in the next year or 2 an finishing off that payment sooner....

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
How many miles are on your car? My 2011 DSG with 56k miles is kbb private party estimated at 12-13k i just checked last week. Trade in is like 10k.

Make sure your not looking at trade in or if thats what your wanting then yes trade in sucks. That really blows you still owe 18k? I only owe 9k left on my 11 so im in the black with it valued a few thousand more than what i owe.

Also just buy whatever car you can afford. Doesnt need to be a VW or anything else only get what you can afford. If you owe 18k on the gti you are gonna be screwed no matter what you do as its valued 5k less than that.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
Tough call, especially since you still owe so much. I don't see the values of your cars getting any better in the near future either as VW continues to hit the press with some new facet on the TDI scandal once a month or so. VW would need to make me a sweet deal before I'd consider another one.

Frankly I am surprised the GLI is that close to the GTI in value (I have '12 Base GLI).

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Not sure but my 2013 GTI with 37k is worth 18 Private and 16 trade in according to KBB.

I know I could never get that in a million years but location might have something to do with it.

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
I used trade in values on kbb... an i have only 47k on my gti. I bought it used with a $2k deficit on the previous car. Bought the car last year june for 18500$.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Philimon

Ready to race!
Keep the GLI. The rear leg room is great for kids. You're going to wish you kept those extra inches for that rear facing car seat.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Not sure but my 2013 GTI with 37k is worth 18 Private and 16 trade in according to KBB.

I know I could never get that in a million years but location might have something to do with it.

The problem is you can get a new GTI with no miles for about $23k, at least near where I am. I'd spend the extra money.

markus037

Ready to race!
i feel ya. might as well keep it. my car has 47k on it now and i dont even want to know what its worth. i owe money as well so instead of taking a hit, im just putting an extra $200 a month on it so i can get it paid off quicker.

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
Gonna have to start doing that or wait for a deal somehow with $1500 in cash incentive. Thatl help also . They had killer deals last month

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Philimon

Ready to race!
Meh, rear facing seat is do-able. Not sure i'd trade the versatility of the hatch for it...

You're right. I forgot. Also, the hatch is way cooler/nicer for using as a makeshift area for changing diapers. Seriously, it feel a lot less odd than using a trunk (which I did once).

However, when the kid is 3 and his feet have only a little room, I am wondering if I should be kind and get something bigger. Like, on long trips, that would be really uncomfortable if it were me. Also, just many short trips over the span of ownership of the gti would be annoying. I feel his pain because the entire time I was growing up my dad had coupes and trucks with bench backseats with hardly any leg room, etc. and it sucked. Also, he didn't have to own a truck like he was in construction or something either - he just liked occasional off-roading and towing of toys.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
People trade in their cars for new ones WAY too soon in my book.

Look at all the people with modified mk6's that instantly traded in their car for a new mk7 and all the debt that rolled over with that. Its incredibly silly.

Buy a car you can see yourself and your family in for 10 years... or dont buy new