GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of Door Creaking & Flexing Sound

McQueen77

Banned
I have appt to take it in on Thursday. When I was in for my 10K, I mentioned the noise coming from the passenger door. However, they only checked the window, and said "lubricated window, moved window up and down, no unusual noises, lubrication must have fixed issue."

I gave them negative feedback on there survey and they called me the next day. I said, "I told you it was the door and you only checked the window."

Seems to be futile based on everyone else's experience, but want to get it on their records as an issue.

the dealer won't help with this problem. rattles and noises are all on us.

GTI Cadence

Ready to race!
I solved my squeaky door seals by thoroughly cleaning the door jams and applying a coat of wax on the door frame and body. Before doing this I could replicate the squeak by just pushing on the door frame. After removing the dried wax the squeaks were completely gone, even when driving diagonally over speed bumps. BTW, this is on a four door GTI. I'm sure the type of wax doesn't really matter, but for those who care I used Zaino Z5 show car polish which is more of sealant than a wax. Biggest benefit is it won't leave any white wax residue or dust.

Last edited:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I solved my squeaky door seals by thoroughly cleaning the door jams and applying a coat of wax on the door frame and body. Before doing this I could replicate the squeak by just pushing on the door frame. After removing the wax the squeaks were completely gone, even when driving diagonally over speed bumps. BTW, this is on a four door GTI. I'm sure the type of wax doesn't really matter, but for those who care I used Zaino Z5 show car polish which is more of sealant than a wax. Biggest benefit is it won't leave any white wax residue or dust.

I'm confused by your wording. You cleaned your door jambs and applied a coat of wax to the frame and body to solve the squeaking seals? You then removed the wax and the squeaks were completely gone?

So which helped then: cleaning and waxing it or removing the wax?

GTI Cadence

Ready to race!
I'm confused by your wording. You cleaned your door jambs and applied a coat of wax to the frame and body to solve the squeaking seals? You then removed the wax and the squeaks were completely gone?

So which helped then: cleaning and waxing it or removing the wax?

I guess that does sound a little confusing. The cleaning and waxing is what solved it for me. What I meant by "removing the wax" was polishing off the dried wax. Give it a try...

Last edited:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I guess that does sound a little confusing. The cleaning and waxing is what solved it for me. What I meant by "removing the wax" was polishing off the dried wax. Give it a try...

What's odd to me is that I've heard a handful of people say that wax getting onto the door jambs and seals makes them noisy as hell. I was actually planning on doing a nice ISO wipedown, followed by a fresh Gummi Pfledge treatment of said seals after being positive every little bit of wax, dirt and residue is gone.

GTI Cadence

Ready to race!
What's odd to me is that I've heard a handful of people say that wax getting onto the door jambs and seals makes them noisy as hell. I was actually planning on doing a nice ISO wipedown, followed by a fresh Gummi Pfledge treatment of said seals after being positive every little bit of wax, dirt and residue is gone.

Well it worked for me and I like having the added protection of wax on all painted surfaces. Also, if you think about squeaks are caused by friction. The freshly cleaned/waxed paint prevents the rubber seals from binding up on the door jams.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Well it worked for me and I like having the added protection of wax on all painted surfaces. Also, if you think about squeaks are caused by friction. The freshly cleaned/waxed paint prevents the rubber seals from binding up on the door jams.

No, I get your thinking...the logic behind not having a waxed up door jamb is that the wax and residue gets on the rubber seals and the felt...THAT is not desirable.

GTI Cadence

Ready to race!
No, I get your thinking...the logic behind not having a waxed up door jamb is that the wax and residue gets on the rubber seals and the felt...THAT is not desirable.

There shouldn't be any residue on the seals if you are careful when applying the wax. If you use the wax I mentioned above or something similar you won't even have to worry about any chalky residue or dust from the wax.

Marvin

Ready to race!
Personally I can't believe that a micromolecular layer of polish/wax or whatever, is the solution to this creaking problem, when it seems to be related to a relative movement of the door/s within their frames.

The 1/4" tubing seems to me, to be the only 'fix' that works to a greater or lesser extent, as it appears to make the door more secure within the door frame when closed thus reducing the movement there.
The placement of the tubing in my 2 yr old car (in which that noise became apparent afte that time) would seem to indicate wear in the door seals thus allowing more movement than if the car was new.

I did try all that Gummi Pflege and waxing palava before the tubing, but it made not one iota of difference as did the adjustment of the door latch plate (other than the make the leading edge of the door further 'in' compared with the rear door.

If we assume that the wax treatment described above works than surely a dry PTFE lubricant or a Silicone 'grease' or spray would have the same effect although I wouldn't like the latter to get into the felt of the door seals.

cmb5286

Ready to race!
I put my roof rack on last weekend. It came with some 1/8" rubber tubing that I had no idea what to do with. Come to find out (after reading the directions) that it goes in the door seal channel. I used to hear the seals rub and squeak when pulling into my driveway and making slow turns, but the tubing has made it almost completely silent. I was going to try the adhesive felt but this works just as well and nearly invisible. I'll try and take some pictures and show you what I mean.

P

plac

1/8" sounds like a better stealth solution than 1/4" tubing. you only need a tiny bit of take-up.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I solved my squeaky door seals by thoroughly cleaning the door jams and applying a coat of wax on the door frame and body. Before doing this I could replicate the squeak by just pushing on the door frame. After removing the dried wax the squeaks were completely gone, even when driving diagonally over speed bumps. BTW, this is on a four door GTI. I'm sure the type of wax doesn't really matter, but for those who care I used Zaino Z5 show car polish which is more of sealant than a wax. Biggest benefit is it won't leave any white wax residue or dust.

I noticed that just using the tubing alone will reduce the noise but not eliminate it completely. This is especially true when the car begins to get dirty.

I do the exact same thing (cleaning and waxing) the door frame area, and it eliminates all noise for a couple of weeks until the next cleaning. Just an additional 5 minutes to my cleaning routine. Wish I didn't have to in the first place, but it's not terrible.

pkw

Passed Driver's Ed
I put my roof rack on last weekend. It came with some 1/8" rubber tubing that I had no idea what to do with. Come to find out (after reading the directions) that it goes in the door seal channel.

1/8" O. D. (outside diameter)?

flug2012

Ready to race!
By waxing I mean taking some wax and applying it on the body where the grommet makes the seal with the body of the car. This will fix it...

x2, works every time! I make a habit now of doing this after washing the car. :mad0259: stupid velvet crap, i wish VW would make some change to the seals.

pkw

Passed Driver's Ed
I do the exact same thing (cleaning and waxing) the door frame area, and it eliminates all noise for a couple of weeks until the next cleaning.

Could you tell me which wax you use?

My wax does not last more than 2 weeks. I tried Turtle Wax ICE paste, Meguiars #26 liquid, Nu Finish liquid polish.