GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen needs your help - seriously!

Artem311

Passed Driver's Ed
Dear Atrem,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your interest in the Golf R. Your enthusiasm and loyalty to the brand is exciting!

The North American introduction of this model is under consideration. However, no decision has been made at this time. Keep your fingers crossed. Please feel free to keep in touch with us for future updates.

Thanks again for visiting. Have a great day!

Stephanie B.

Volktalk

pyro h4cker1

Ready to race!
the problem is they brought the mk5 r32 to the us in only dsg and it didn't sell

bring the r20 with a manual tranny and they won't be able to keep them on the lot

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Offer it in both and problem solved!

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah, just hurry up and make a decision already, or tell us what the decision it!! I wonder if VoA will preview the Golf R at this years Fastivus???

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Offer it in both and problem solved!

Yeah, I read the mix of trannies and four doors would be almost 3 to 1, DSG + 4 door to 2 door manuals.

A few years ago, I would have wanted the 2 door manual, but today with a toddler son, I definitely want the four door and my wife now prefers (she does drive stick) the DSG.

So, I definitely hope VW recogizes the broad enthusiast needs.

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
Dear Britton,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen. We are pleased to know you are enjoying the driving experience of your GTI! We are also glad to see your interest in the R20!

The North American introduction of this model, tentatively designated the Golf R, is under consideration. However, no decision has been made at this time. Please feel free to keep in touch with us for future updates.

If you are interested in importing a Volkswagen vehicle from Europe into the US, you will need to contact a registered importer for additional information. A list of registered importers can be found on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s website: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/web_complete_RI_list010807.htm.

Thank you again for visiting vw.com. We value your membership in the Volkswagen family!

Matt

Volktalk

Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:30 PM
To: VIC Web Responses
Subject: Volkswagen R20

Dear Volkswagen,

I am a recent convert to German engineering, and have been truly impressed with the 2009 GTI that I have had since November. I find myself wanting to try this amazing vehicle with all wheel drive, and the R version available in Europe fits the bill perfectly. I will be receiving the means to purchase one late this summer due to an inheritance, and would like to inquire about the availability of this automobile in the United States. Will this car be made available? If so, when? If not, how might I go about importing one through your company? Do you offer anything comparable if import is not feasible?

Thank You,
Britton Goldberg

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
UPDATE!

Went ahead and contacted a few registered importers after finding an up-to-date contact list. Some quoted $10-12k for imports, on top of the $50+k price after converting British Pounds Sterling to USD. Then, I recieved a response that had a confidentiality agreement tacked on the end. Is there something big with VW this year, 'cause it looks like we might get a present...

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Then, I recieved a response that had a confidentiality agreement tacked on the end. Is there something big with VW this year, 'cause it looks like we might get a present...

A response from an importer or VWGA?

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
Importer US Specs LLC in MD.

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
I have been told that the confidentiality agreement doesn't apply and I can share the info: Mid 2011 as a 2012 model.

Hello Britton,

What would be different on this vehicle compared to the Golf R that is supposed to be sold in the U.S. this year?

Regards,

Carl Brinegar

US Specs LLC
121 Northway Drive
Havre de Grace, MD. 21078
443-502-2331 phone
443-502-2331 fax
usspecs@aol.com

I was told after conferring with VW of America that there were no plans to bring the Golf R (all wheel drive model) to America currently. Do you have information to the contrary?

Thank You
Britton Goldberg

Britton,

VW changed the U.S. launch date to mid-2011 and will be sold as a 2012 model. It will have the 4th generation Haldex 4Motion all-wheel drive.

Regards,

Carl Brinegar

US Specs LLC
121 Northway Drive
443-502-2331 phone
443-502-2331 fax
usspecs@aol.com

Thank you! Is this covered by the confidentiality note at the bottom of your email, or can I share this with others?

Britton Goldberg

You can share

Carl Brinegar

US Specs LLC
121 Northway Drive
443-502-2331 phone
443-502-2331 fax
usspecs@aol.com

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE!

Went ahead and contacted a few registered importers after finding an up-to-date contact list. Some quoted $10-12k for imports, on top of the $50+k price after converting British Pounds Sterling to USD. Then, I recieved a response that had a confidentiality agreement tacked on the end. Is there something big with VW this year, 'cause it looks like we might get a present...

Am I reading this right, the R20 would be over $50k?

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
If you converted a base model from 32000 GBP (pounds Sterling) at the current exchange rate of 1.5186 dollars for every GBP, it comes out to about $49000. Of course that is Euro-spec. They pay around 25000 GBP for a GTI, which comes out to about $38000. Count on the R being slightly stripped to make US market. I would project the price at $35000 if the price ratios carry over.