GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Had this lovely experience on my way home from work yesterday. I didn't even see what I hit but I heard a loud bang and pulled off to the side of the road and shut off the car. I'm hoping I acted fast enough to not cause any damage to the engine. Waiting on some parts so I can replace the oil pan. FML.

View attachment 284687View attachment 284688

That just completely sucks man. It's the time you think the Street Shield is worth it.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that's a big hole. Terrible. Fingers crossed that you shut her down in time. So much crap on the roads these days, seems like more junk than ever. When I'm out and about I try to keep my eyes peeled up ahead of me as much as I can but even that's hard sometimes with so many trucks and SUV's obscuring how much one can see ahead. Let us know how it goes................

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
picked up my car from the shop today. the TOB made that howling sound so i had everything replaced while i was in there. i bucked the trend and chose Sachs SRE. will write a review once the clutch has broken in!

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Scanned Block 93 with OBDEleven. Engine was warm, measurement was -2.84 just after startup and then -3.25 when I got back to my parking spot. Calling it -3. Got plenty of time still but will start thinking about a timing appointment in the next 6 months or so.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Scanned Block 93 with OBDEleven. Engine was warm, measurement was -2.84 just after startup and then -3.25 when I got back to my parking spot. Calling it -3. Got plenty of time still but will start thinking about a timing appointment in the next 6 months or so.
how many miles?

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
That just completely sucks man. It's the time you think the Street Shield is worth it.

Wow, that's a big hole. Terrible. Fingers crossed that you shut her down in time. So much crap on the roads these days, seems like more junk than ever. When I'm out and about I try to keep my eyes peeled up ahead of me as much as I can but even that's hard sometimes with so many trucks and SUV's obscuring how much one can see ahead. Let us know how it goes................

Thankfully everything went well (well, sorta).

Monday, when it happened, got the car towed home, waited for the car to cool off and started to try and remove the oil pan, but it was super stuck. Gave up on it as it was already evening and I was tired from the experience and the day at work.

The next day, Tuesday, I started fighting with the oil pan and finally was able to get the RTV seal broken using a putty knife. Everything looked okay. Seems like the damage had all been to the oil pan itself. It took me most of Tuesday after work to scrape all the old RTV off and tried have the mating surface as clean as possible. Wednesday I had the new oil pan, RTV, new bolts and I proceeded to put the oil pan back on. Put the RTV, tightened the bolts in the recommended sequence and torqued them all. Last thing was the Oil Level Sensor Plate. 2 of the 3 nuts tightened onto the bolts coming out of the oil pan just fine and the last one... broke. It was literally the very last thing left to do before letting the RTV fully cure. I had already done so much and I didn't have another oil pan, so I just decided to take off the plate, and run some RTV around it tighten the 2 nuts and put some extra RTV on the last broken one and pray. After letting the RTV cure for 24 hours, Thursday was the day I put oil in the car and started her up. Everything sounded normal! I let it get up to operating temp and monitored for leaks and all seemed well! Drove her around a bit then took her to work the next day. Checked fluids when I got to work and when I left for the day I checked my parking spot for leaks. Everything is bone dry. It's been 4 days and everything is still good. I have a new oil pan on the way, but I'm going to try and hold off until another 5,000 miles and my next oil change to redo it again.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Today I subjected my GTI to the Pikes Peak hill climb. It did great although the brakes got a little hot on the way down. They do have a checkpoint where they read your brake temp on the way down and make you wait if you’re overheating your brakes. Mine checked at 150 degrees and waved me on. It was a leisure drive and it was nice. Forgive the dirt, we drove from Houston, TX 😆

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6667.jpeg
    IMG_6667.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6728.jpeg
    IMG_6728.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6729.jpeg
    IMG_6729.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that is something I try to check on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Just a hair under 112 K miles. I believe the previous owner had the chain done, but I'd have to go back and look.
would be good to get this data point. i had a new engine put in a while ago and it's got roughly 70k miles on it. i'm also measuring -3. i believe you only need to start worrying once it hits 4, so you (and i) have some time still.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
would be good to get this data point. i had a new engine put in a while ago and it's got roughly 70k miles on it. i'm also measuring -3. i believe you only need to start worrying once it hits 4, so you (and i) have some time still.

I checked the maintenance records he gave me and there's no mention of having the chain done. My assumption now is that this is the original chain.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Today I subjected my GTI to the Pikes Peak hill climb. It did great although the brakes got a little hot on the way down. They do have a checkpoint where they read your brake temp on the way down and make you wait if you’re overheating your brakes. Mine checked at 150 degrees and waved me on. It was a leisure drive and it was nice. Forgive the dirt, we drove from Houston, TX 😆
Hello fellow Houstonian

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Yeah that is something I try to check on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry.
Would this reading be able to tell me if I jumped timing? I'm getting a not-so-nice noise from my engine that's had my car parked for the last week. It goes to the shop on the 26th but if it's something stupid like the accessory belt I'll take care of it... I just don't think it is.