GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does MINT mean to you?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
yeah you stay butthurt about it but it is what it is. you'll be doing the same thing in a year if you want to keep them perfect. but if someone doesn't have a frame of reference then they'll call it like they see it. personally i think its dumb to get upset that used wheels look like they've been used, but that's just me.
To add to that, you have a point because these wheels in the OP would not have had six trillion microswirls had they been washed often, meaning the owner 'took care of them' in his own mind. However most of us know that there are ways to take car of them and ways of 'taking care' that actually do more harm than good.

IMO, one could technically keep a cars paint much nicer if they only washed and sealed it a few times a year. Since the paint is not being touched like ever, no swirls can occur - minus sap and water spot stains etc - it would need a careful and deep cleaning but i hope you see my point lol

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

kern417

Go Kart Champion
thats all i'm saying. prev owner may be a noob (as we all were at some point or other) but its not like he swindled you into buying shit wheels sight unseen. you saw them and accepted them in trade. these terms get thrown around loosely and unless it says new i'll expect it to be in good used condition. i mean really most people put "9.5/10" even if they think their stuff is perfect just to protect themselves in fear that a buyer might be super critical of something they didnt notice.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Dat post was mint*

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Those wheels aren't 'mint.'

Mint to me would mean, used, but still equal to factory. (No imperfections at all!)

You can't take everything literally, I think a rating system with numbers is better to use. 10/10 being perfect. 'Mint' is too subjective. If someone doesn't use it right you can't blame the word.

+1, I wouldn't ever use the term mint - too generalized.

For example, when I sell items I usually list them:

NEW - Unopened, factory sealed!

USED - Doesn't matter if it were used 1 day, it's still no longer new. Any imperfections should be illustrated.

ABUSED - If I wouldn't buy it myself, then I probably wouldn't sell it. Therefore, I would never use this one... However, if you are just trying to get rid of a banged up item, and for cheap... This would be your category.

Jeff43

Ready to race!
I used to think Mint meant close to or perfect...however when i started looking at pre-owned watches, I realized that it wasn't a universal term. A "mint" rating on a coin is 100%; on a watch it is about 85%...there is New, 99% Like New, Like New, Mint, Near Mint and Very Fine. There will always be some subjectivity to it, depending on the item it is used to describe.

So what did I learn? That watches aren't coins. Neither are wheels. Welcome to the world of owning something black, it's a high maintenance color.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I think ultimately what we can see here is that "mint" is a very subjective term. That being said, it is nearly impossible for any used parts on a car that are exposed to the elements be mint. I do respect what you're saying in that you feel his description of the wheels was inaccurate, but given the nature of doing business off the forums, there is a point at which you really have to view things by your own standards and have to really give them a good look if you're purchasing the items in person. I know, it's not too much help for me to say that now, but at least you're aware going forward and there's no permanent damage done.