GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what kind of gas do you guys use?

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
many threads on your topic.. search and u will find!

BUT

2.5L engine is fine on regular but 2.0T engine needs premium gasoline ONLY!
.. and u will deff feel the difference :)

^this...lots of threads...but to sharpen OP question...what about 2.5 with tune and intake like I think he has. Definately for GTI Shell 93, though. Probably same for tuned 2.5

Bender1

Banned
Here is an article clarifying what can change with premium vs. regular. Better performance for sure, not to mention the detergents are better for the life of your car. If you don't care, dont put it in. But there is definitely differences.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/proven/epcp_1007_2010_volkwagen_jetta_proven/viewall.html

Ummm dude, did you read that article? The car on the 91 had an air-intake. Additionally, the detergent packs are IDENTICAL in each if you go to a proper station.

On a 2.5l use regular. If you are tuned on a 2.5 you probably still should use regular, but it all depends on what the compression ratio is which I dont know what it is.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Ummm dude, did you read that article? The car on the 91 had an air-intake. Additionally, the detergent packs are IDENTICAL in each if you go to a proper station.

On a 2.5l use regular. If you are tuned on a 2.5 you probably still should use regular, but it all depends on what the compression ratio is which I dont know what it is.

Apparently you didnt read the article... and I quote:

"To test the "premium gasoline is a waste of money" theory, we borrowed an unmodified Jetta 2.5L designed to run on 87 octane. In order to get a more accurate read on performance and pick up on any drivability differences, we decided to do more than just dyno tests. We performed the various tests using four tanks of gasoline. Under real-world driving conditions, the tank was run from full to empty first on 87, then on 91, and then back to 87."

and

"After the fuel tests, we couldn't resist adding at least one aftermarket performance part to the stocker Jetta. So we picked the most popular modification, an open-air intake."

"The P-Flo intake took the Jetta to the next performance level by eliminating the airflow limitations in the stock airbox. Throttle response and power were significantly increased, plus the induction growl under the hood added to the sportier feel."

As far as detergents go I meant a Shell Gasoline vs. a Grocery Store gasoline, not 85 vs. 93, etc.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PureTO

euro is right. I will add that I would recommend using premium whenever you feel like your wallet can support it. I throw in premium most of the time anyway because it is better for your car.

Using premium is better for the oil companys.... not your car.

pdrumans

many threads on your topic.. search and u will find!

BUT

2.5L engine is fine on regular but 2.0T engine needs premium gasoline ONLY!
.. and u will deff feel the difference :)

I just got my 2012 GTI two weeks ago and the salesman put a full tank of gas in the car. He was showing me everything and tried telling me that it can run on regular, I stated that it needs premium. He then stumbled a bit and told me that is what he put in for the courtesy tank for buying the car. Mind you I had no other reference because I had never driven another GTI and driving mine these last two weeks I thought it was rough and jerky when pulling from a stop in 1st. Well I put in my own first tank in of premium gas and wow what a difference. The car is so smooth now from a stop. At least with the 2.0t, there is a big difference. I am now sure that the salesman put in reg gas, not premium. The difference is night and day.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
I just got my 2012 GTI two weeks ago and the salesman put a full tank of gas in the car. He was showing me everything and tried telling me that it can run on regular, I stated that it needs premium. He then stumbled a bit and told me that is what he put in for the courtesy tank for buying the car. Mind you I had no other reference because I had never driven another GTI and driving mine these last two weeks I thought it was rough and jerky when pulling from a stop in 1st. Well I put in my own first tank in of premium gas and wow what a difference. The car is so smooth now from a stop. At least with the 2.0t, there is a big difference. I am now sure that the salesman put in reg gas, not premium. The difference is night and day.

lol @ the salesman..It only says it right by the gas cap haha. Yeah you're right b/c if i'm not mistaken, turbos need premium gas to run the most efficient? Congrats on your new GTI btw. :)

nature boy

Ready to race!
i just switched over from regular to premium 2 tanks ago because of all the articles i was reading on gas mileage. my car's engine is completely stock, and gas mileage so far is better but just barely, and i've noticed no increase in performance (according to my butt-dyno at least).

i might give it another tank or two and go back to regular.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Only premium. At least 93 (we dont have 91 around here that I've seen). And I buy from the stations I know that DO NOT add ethanol to their gas.

I think the biggest killer is ethanol. Try finding non-ethanol gas and see if THAT makes a difference.

:thumbsup:

XJLI

You guys are crazy mine gets 87 every time. If I wanted to pay 4 bucks a gallon I would have bought a gti