GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel change -- How retarded am I?

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
I tried again this morning with a cross wrench! Managed to loosen up 2 lock bolts out of the 4. The other 2 still won't come out and now my key is stripped to shreds. :mad0259:

Had to go to the stealership to book an appointment for them to change the wheels... Luckily I don't use the same bolts for my summer wheels (I need conical seat ones), so I won't need to buy a new lock kit right now. Stealership quoted me 75 bucks for a new lock kit for next winter.

DAMN. 75$?!?!!?!? This tire change is going to cost me some dough.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Yeah Johnny; 60 Ft-Lbs is way too low for wheel bolts; VW MK6 Golf/GTI OEM recommendation is 88 Ft-Lbs.

Go have them properly torque your wheels, or grab your torque wrench and do them yourself.

yeah I didn't look the number up, just pulled something out of the air lol. Regardless, they should be torqued so you can change the wheel on the side of the road.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
I tried again this morning with a cross wrench! Managed to loosen up 2 lock bolts out of the 4. The other 2 still won't come out and now my key is stripped to shreds. :mad0259:

Had to go to the stealership to book an appointment for them to change the wheels... Luckily I don't use the same bolts for my summer wheels (I need conical seat ones), so I won't need to buy a new lock kit right now. Stealership quoted me 75 bucks for a new lock kit for next winter.

DAMN. 75$?!?!!?!? This tire change is going to cost me some dough.

You can always take a socket that is a little to small to fit over the lug hammer it on and get it off. The socket is done after that so use an old one!

lon888

Ready to race!
Since rusted lug nuts/bolts are a way of life up there in the Great White North, put a little smear of anti-seize compound (any auto store will have it) on your bolts before re-installing. Don't drown then them in the stuff, just a light coating to keep corrosion at bay and also facilitate the next time you need to remove your wheels.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
That's weird... I changed all 4 of my wheels using the BS tools that come stock in the trunk. I have to think that somewhere along the way someone over tightened you nuts.
A few of mine were rusted once, and I had to use a breaker bar (and it was even really difficult with the breaker). Always put some anti-seize on the threads from now on!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Speaking from personal experience, having used probably most every VW and Audi OEM wheel lock style..

Tis lock-key style - the sawtooth design (can't recall off hand what number it is, 17?) IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST..

Don't beat yourself up too hard, a neighbour of mine has this same lock set and I find it frustrating with proper tools to say the least. Keeps slipping out when turning in one direction.

Do youreself a foavor and when you get a new lock set, DO NOT get this style, get one that looks more like a four leaf clover or a flower. Sorry, no pics for reference..

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
^ This. I have the same lock set too. I hate wheel locks period honestly. If someone really wants to steal my wheels, a lock isn't going to stop them.

goose1

Ready to race!
Lucky you they quoted me $110 plus service. I'll risk it for now

Sent through a potato

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Speaking from personal experience, having used probably most every VW and Audi OEM wheel lock style..

Tis lock-key style - the sawtooth design (can't recall off hand what number it is, 17?) IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST..

Don't beat yourself up too hard, a neighbour of mine has this same lock set and I find it frustrating with proper tools to say the least. Keeps slipping out when turning in one direction.

Do youreself a foavor and when you get a new lock set, DO NOT get this style, get one that looks more like a four leaf clover or a flower. Sorry, no pics for reference..

Yeah I think I know what you mean, I got the clover leaf pattern for my summer wheels. I'm probably gonna look for a ball-seat lock kit online somewhere. Last time I bought locks was on wagen-wheels.com.

I had another random question... So I gave up for this year, I'm bringing my car to the dealer. But when I'll change my wheels next winter, how do I make sure that I reach 88lbs of tq if I do it by hand? Should I just tighten it as much as I can with a torque wrench?

TAG12GTI

Ready to race!
Since rusted lug nuts/bolts are a way of life up there in the Great White North, put a little smear of anti-seize compound (any auto store will have it) on your bolts before re-installing. Don't drown then them in the stuff, just a light coating to keep corrosion at bay and also facilitate the next time you need to remove your wheels.

You should never use anti-seize or any other lubricant that reduces friction on the wheel lugs. If you rotate your tires every 6 months then rust or corrosion shouln't be a problem. Having the proper tools is the best defense.

Last edited:

qshashaa

Ready to race!
If you feel that the bolt is on too tight have the wrench at an angle and stand on top of the wrench with one foot. It should loosen right up then you can proceed by hand.
EDIT: If it doesn't work out just call VW Roadside Assistance they'll change it for you, or tow it to the dealers and have them change it

Fordson

Ready to race!
I had another random question... So I gave up for this year, I'm bringing my car to the dealer. But when I'll change my wheels next winter, how do I make sure that I reach 88lbs of tq if I do it by hand? Should I just tighten it as much as I can with a torque wrench?

Wait - do you understand what a torque wrench is for and how it works? If you are going to tighten it as much as you can, and override when it tells you you've reached the 88 lb./ft. you've set it to, why bother having a torque wrench?

You set the torque wrench at the tightness you want, and when you have reached that tightness, the wrench gives you an indication of same - that can be visual, audible, a click that you feel through the body of the wrench, etc.

Oh, and in your initial post, you make reference to "...try to force it..." That's just not the right way to look at things mechanical...back off, slow down and think for a minute to assess what you're doing and why it's not working, BEFORE you break something.

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Wait - do you understand what a torque wrench is for and how it works? If you are going to tighten it as much as you can, and override when it tells you you've reached the 88 lb./ft. you've set it to, why bother having a torque wrench?

You set the torque wrench at the tightness you want, and when you have reached that tightness, the wrench gives you an indication of same - that can be visual, audible, a click that you feel through the body of the wrench, etc.

Oh, and in your initial post, you make reference to "...try to force it..." That's just not the right way to look at things mechanical...back off, slow down and think for a minute to assess what you're doing and why it's not working, BEFORE you break something.

Very good reasoning :D That's why I'm bad at that stuff. Haha.. I've learned my lesson.

No I did not know what a torque wrench was. I am not a good handyman AT ALL :( But thanks for the clarification, next year I will know how to do it :thumbsup: