GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheel/suspension advice

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
After doing some searches, hoping to get some specific advice.

Looking to buy a summer set and will likely go with the Avant Garde 310. Plan to wrap them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The car is my DD and while I like to push it a lot, no plans to track. Live in the NE so the roads are far from perfect.

I plan to lower it a little -- to lose the gap, but don't want to worry about rubbing or rolling fenders.

So my questions:

The AG 310 come in 18 x 8/8.5/9 and a range of offsets from 35 to 48. Given my plans to drop it without running into issues, what would be the best spec (also want to avoid stretching tires)?

As far as dropping it to lose the gap, while Koni makes terrific coilovers and there are deals to be had now, not sure it's worth it given how small a drop I'm considering. Cupkit or springs might be a better choice, right? Again, it's my DD and while I like to push it, I also don't want it ride too harshly. Thoughts?

For anyone who has the AG 310, any issues clearing the brakes?

Thanks.

StayStetti

Banned
How do you want the wheel to sit? I'm guessing flush, but not aggressive or problematic. I would probably go 8.5 all around with an offset of 45-48, with 225/40's. Should be a nice fitment.
Cupkit would be the best handling wise with your small drop. Not sure which ones are nice though, and the wheels should clear the brakes.

:thumbsup:

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
yes, flush or close. thanks for the advice on the fitment -- one of the more helpful reads was your sticky BTW. thanks for that as well.

not sure how easy it will be to find the specs you mentioned in stock given the recent searches I've done, but we'll see.

still not sure about the Koni coils vs/ cupkit or springs. The Konis are on sale for $980 shipped, so would hate to miss that deal if that's where I eventually end up. just seemed like I should consider less expensive options since I'm not looking for a big drop.

thanks.

PrittyCool1

Ready to race!
+ 1 on what Phil W said

From the sound of it, you really don't need coilovers.
Just get something ready to go that gets rid of the wheel gap. No need for all the adjusting.

At the low cost side, just get H&R super sports springs. It has a nice drop that is about the height you will enjoy for a DD. Some have done it without new shocks for a while, but remember they will need probably need to be replaced down the road.

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
+ 1 on what Phil W said

From the sound of it, you really don't need coilovers.
Just get something ready to go that gets rid of the wheel gap. No need for all the adjusting.

At the low cost side, just get H&R super sports springs. It has a nice drop that is about the height you will enjoy for a DD. Some have done it without new shocks for a while, but remember they will need probably need to be replaced down the road.

thanks. I have no problem spending some $ on the suspension to make it right. this is important to me and I want to achieve the slight drop while ensuring the ride is sporty enough for my driving, yet not too harsh.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Get 8x18 ET48 and DG springs with Bilstein B6 shocks.

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
So after some more research and talking with Andrew at Redline, considering getting the AG 310 in 18/8/45 with the Pilot Super Sports in 225/40/18. May go with the H&R Sport Springs to lose the gap.

Welcome any more thoughts. Unfortunately wheels not in stock, so looking at taking delivery 3rd week of March or so if I do go with this set up.

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
black/machined face.

another question for you guys. if I do go with the H&R sport springs, do I need to upgrade shocks now? i have my stock shocks which are not even 4 months old.

Papa

Ready to race!
You don't need new shocks, however not changing them at the same time it will accelerate their lifetime and probably crap out on you much sooner. Just get the H&R cup kit if you want the sport springs. It uses the same springs (H&R Sports) along with the appropriate damper.

It'll save you the headache of having to change out your blown shocks as well as give you a better ride (less bouncy).

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
You don't need new shocks, however not changing them at the same time it will accelerate their lifetime and probably crap out on you much sooner. Just get the H&R cup kit if you want the sport springs. It uses the same springs (H&R Sports) along with the appropriate damper.

It'll save you the headache of having to change out your blown shocks as well as give you a better ride (less bouncy).

thanks. worried about double labor and alignments costs, so will look to get it right the first time. Is the cup kit a better choice vs. coils? I'm guessing it is in my case since I'm only looking to lose the gap and not drop too much. Thanks.