GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where/How did you learn to detail your car?

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
So my birthday is coming up and I think I am going to buy a Dual Action Polisher for a gift to myself. I have a lot of paint issues and I figure with the addition of the nanoskin I can probably save myself a lot of money and frustration by just learning how to do it myself.

Which led me to asking myself, how am I going to learn? How did you all learn to detail your car? Especially the more advanced techniques. Through trial and error, paired with youtube? Through a friend? Through a shop? Let me know!

P.S Any suggestions for beginners using a DA please feel free to let me know. :)

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
It is mainly trial and error.

Suggestions for a first timer would be

Tape weather striping edge, black plastic, or anything to don't want wax on
Use slight to fair amount of pressure when polishing, but make sure to maintain it
Multiple directions (up and down, side to side, up and down) over each panel
If using a product that is dusting a lot use mineral oil on the pad to extend work time

Just some things off the top of my head

MKVI-DRVR

Ready to race!
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

^ Read it all! I did even though I have been detailing for some time and I learned a few new tips! You always do!

http://www.detailingbliss.com/
http://www.autopiaforums.com/
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/

check into these forums as they have sections dedicated to showing cars that have been worked on step-by-step. It gives a really good feel on how to go through the process. Also, check out the site sponsors, Detailers' Domain is a great one, and look at all the various products. It all adds up and helps when you go to detail your car!

OTDetailer

Passed Driver's Ed
A lot of reading and practice got me where I'm now. I had a scape panel to practice on. So I key it, let it sit outside, and let the sun baked all waterspot on it. Then I went to work :)

go to your bodyshop, ask then if they have a scape panel for you to take...

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
It is mainly trial and error.

Suggestions for a first timer would be

Just some things off the top of my head

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Dad used to take me to classic car shows when I was a kid. Got tips from those guys...and the rest was trial and error as in other posts.

absence

___liminal
Take a look at these videos from Adam's Polishes.

They are easy to watch and very informative.

Adam's Polishes Instructional Videos

this.

proper prep is key. clay, or nano skin (haven't tried), is required to get best results. you have to get the contaminants off.

taping is important -- but more for protecting the trim/plastics than residue. you don't want to accidentally hit rubber, textured trim with polish. it will then be smooth, and the other areas not.

joy of the DA is that you have to work really hard to mess it up worse than it was. best tip is to tape off a 2x2 ft area on your car and figure out whats working or not.

pick up one of the kits from phil at detailers domain. i'm partial to adams because its easy to work, low dust, and gives you a good baseline when you need to step up to something heavier, or different, based on your clear or paint condition.

been hearing really good things about the Griots DA. I have the PC and Flex, but if Phil is saying the Griots is his new best thing, so I'd give it a try:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Grio...Orbital-Polisher-Adams-Machine-Kit_p_693.html

good luck. its work, but the end results are great.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I personally wouldn't get the nanoskin unless you are planning on detailing other cars or just don't have a lot of time. I haven't used it yet, but clay seems easier for newbies.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Thanks for the suggestions. I am familiar with using a claybar and waxing/polishing by hand. I have never use a DA though, but I NEED one. In one of my previous posts I mentioned I park underneath and elevated rail system in Chicago. It basically dumps tar and other really tough contaminants on my car. The claybar works, but my arm gets too tired from claying the hood/roof. I need something automatic, which is why the nanoskin is a god send. I have been claying my car once a month or so (when I can) and the month after it already looks like garbage.

I will read up on the attached links. :w00t:

BTW after I posted this, my boss called me into the office and mentioned that I was getting an 8.3% raise. DA Polisher is coming my way for sure!

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Started at the ripe age of 13. Porter Cable DACP was my 14th birthday gift to me from my parents. Have been using that thing since then.

Autopia has a WEALTH of information. Start from there

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I personally only clay the whole car twice a year, in the fall and spring. I spot clay as needed.