GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where were you when the World stopped turning? The 9/11 Thread.

evi1dub

Passed Driver's Ed
I was working at South Motors Volkswagen at the time. While working on a waiter the service manager runs into the shop screaming a plane went into one of the twin towers so all the techs ran into to the waiting area it was a sad sad day then seeing the second plane hit. Later I find out one of the tech sons worked in one of the buildings and was taken that day.

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
Freshman in HS, heard about it between first and second period, the scene forever in my memory will be a news resporter interviewing a woman who made it out of the first tower with her baby and as they did the live interview the second tower came down, never knew what true panic sounded like until I heard that reporter.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Was in high school. Remember seeing smoke from jersey and helicopters over the baseball field. I'll pass by ground zero tomorrow as I work nearby in Sundays.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

VWTN

Ready to race!
I remember crisp details from that day. The price of gas, the food I ate, even the cars I passed on the way home. It was as close to deserted as I've ever seen. Even the people around weren't really paying attention to anything but the TV. Very surreal. I think I watched TV for a week straight.

SteveMD

Ready to race!
Y'all are young :)

Me and the wife were going to the dentist for a cleaning. We drove separately and I was listening in the parking lot to 98 Rock - the KML show for anyone around here that remembers that. Lopez announced that a plane had flown into the WTC. I didn't think much about it thinking it was a Cessna and walked into the dentist. He had pulled out a small TV and had it on the counter and we watched as the second plane hit and we all know the rest.

I know that many young people never experienced the WTC in person. I went up to the top of it in the 80s the only thing I can tell you is that each tower was freakin huge - much bigger than they look on TV. Each building was 200' x 200' square- an acre per floor! While I have seen them collapsing many many times, I can't really imagine what it was actually like when each came down - 110 acres of concrete and steel. Times two! It must have been like hell.

I will watch the tributes with my family, explain it to my 14 year old and then get ready for some Ravens Steelers football.

My thoughts go out to anyone affected.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Having my usual morning sleep in 2nd period social studies 9th grade. My teacher woke me up and said "you might wanna see this". " My teacher was pretty cool" for the rest of the semester I don't think I slept a second of that class.

5 years later I joined the Air Force I doubt without 9/11 happening I would have ever even considered joining the service.

Sent from my Something using Tapatalk

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Having my usual morning sleep in 2nd period social studies 9th grade. My teacher woke me up and said "you might wanna see this". " My teacher was pretty cool" for the rest of the semester I don't think I slept a second of that class.

5 years later I joined the Air Force I doubt without 9/11 happening I would have ever even considered joining the service.

Sent from my Something using Tapatalk

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
From this morning.

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0364.jpg
    IMAG0364.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 171

sirdudeth

Ready to race!
I was in my 7th grade English class when Dr. Lawson, my middle school's principle, announced over the intercom what had just happened. It was weird because he usually was really high energy and enthusiastic about everything, but that day you could only hear the somberness in his voice.

Next thing you knew, kids were getting picked up left and right by their parents because everyone was worried about an attack on the local power plant and/or Sunny Point. It was an eerie day.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 178

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
6th grade computer class. Got called to the office and my mom was there to pick me up. She told me my dad was in the city at the time and couldn't get in touch with him. Its weird because my mom was the one that told me what happened no one in my school had any idea yet. We came home and waited for my dad to get home. Luckily everyone in my family was safe. My heart goes out to all the victims.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I was in the Military on 9/11/01; a Sergeant in the US Army; and I was in a Joint Service command on Anacostia Naval Station. Anacostia is directly across the river from the Pentagon.

I was teaching a course to a young group of new members to the unit when one of the soldiers received a text about the North tower. We turned on the news and watched as the second tower was hit, and the first reports of coordinated terrorist attacks started being spoken. We all went outside for some fresh air and to discuss the horrible news. We all stood and watched as the third plane hit the Pentagon... We could not see the actual impact due to the dirt berm along the river, but we could see the plane on its final dive, followed immediately by the crash.

It shook the entire building we were at (it was an old hanger so not too solid), you could feel the shockwave and heat even across the river. The main thing I can remember is the feeling of total uselessness standing there; I was active duty military, standing less than a 1/2 mile from this scene of destruction on US soil and I couldn't do anything... Because of our location there was no way we would be able to reach the Pentagon to assist.

We mobilized less than 2 hours after the first strike and most of our unit deployed to various locations; but the one thing that sticks with me to this day is the feeling of uselessness watching that...

God Bless every Fireman, Police Officer, EMT, Civilian emergency worker and Military member working still to keep all good people safe, free and comfortable.

God Bless especially those who have to watch in helpless horror when those they try to help cannot be helped. :wub:

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
We all stood and watched as the third plane hit the Pentagon... We could not see the actual impact due to the dirt berm along the river, but we could see the plane on its final dive, followed immediately by the crash.
You have no idea how many Internet asswipes I dealt with after the crash who believed the conspiracy story that it wasn't a plane that hit the Pentagon. Nevermind that people were sitting on 395 watching it, these kids still kept saying "There's no video proof, bro! The impact hit doesn't match a plane!"

My neighbor was on that plane.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I was 21 and remember it pretty well - I still have a lot of questions about that day that don't seem to add up or make sense really, from a military standpoint and with regard to some other things that occurred that day (collapse of WTC 7, Flight 93 most likely shot down, etc).

Say what you will about "conspiracy" theorists, but lots of unanswered questions and things that just don't make sense. I'm not saying I believe anything really to the contrary of the "official story" (well, what was actually put in it - omitted WTC7, Pakistan connection that has now come back around again with Bin Laden's killing), but just many things were out of place that day.

Regardless, it was a extremely horrible and inhumane incident and something that has truly changed our nation and society - in both some good ways (unity) and some bad ways (loss of some freedoms -debatable on a case by case basis). My company lost a lot of people that day, and the first responders and military men and women who gave their lives that day and for the last 10 years on, have given the greatest sacrifice.

Bigmack74

Ready to race!
It's crazy how you can't remember what you did 2 days ago but every body remembers this day as if it just happened.