GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who's owned their car the longest?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Bought my GTI used in 2014 with 7,9XX approaching 9 year of ownership in August.
I would say it's been a good 9 years , but not not perfect. Too many waterpumps to count. Think I'll be replacing another one soon .

Love reading the high milage posts gives me great hope that I'll make it close to 200k, plan to keep the car forever. But it will take some time lol. My commutes are short distance . Passed 51,000 recently.
not sure why I didn't catch it at first but TOO MANY WATERPUMPS TO COUNT??? what.... wow :( I hope I don't have to deal with that...wow..... time for a brand new GTI... SIKE!!! mk6 GTI for the rest of my life :)

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
got my 2011 GTI back in 2014 with 75k. within a year, catastrophic engine failure and put a new block in. since then, 2 water pumps. and recently replaced the radiator (stupid identification sensor fault), intake manifold (stupid P2015 fault), and some carbon cleaning. soooo, it wasn't all smooth sailing, but i suppose this is par for the course hearing other people's experiences. almost 140k now. surprisingly, still on the original clutch and no signs of slipping and i've been stage 1+ since i bought the car.

after 9 years of ownership, can't lie, i've been looking to trade for a MK7. but with the car only being worth around $4k trade in value, and used MK7 prices being in the mid $25k range, that's a tough pill to swallow. i just hate the idea that in 2-3 years the cost of repairs will be the same as the value of the car.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
i just hate the idea that in 2-3 years the cost of repairs will be the same as the value of the car.
ya but look at it this way, if you buy a R for $25k, you are paying $25k for a car that will depreciate as soon as you drive it off the dealership lot... still a loss here.

if you put that $25k into your current VW GTI, which you won't all at once, your GTI will be renewed with NEW parts and may appreciate in value... because it's a mk6 (OLD IS GOLD).
You may find someone who will buy it privately for a fair price rather than trading it in at a dealership...

it's just the way it works with cars and aging of the car where parts will eventually fail... but try not to trade in, instead, fix it, and sell it privately or even better, keep it as a project car/side car, and buy another car (only if you can afford it, tires, brakes, engine oil, fluids, tints, car washes, gas, etc... a lot of people overlook the other expenses that come with a car)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
or even better, keep it as a project car/side car,

Yeah, start turning it into a track car and get out there. I'm telling you, nothing is better than passing some tryhard driving American muscle in a German hatchback. :cool:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, start turning it into a track car and get out there. I'm telling you, nothing is better than passing some tryhard driving American muscle in a German hatchback. :cool:
big time! I kept up with a M4 and E63 AMG wagon with my MK6 GTI. I will try to capture it next time. The looks on their face is priceless... like how is a GTI keeping up with my $50k+ car lmao

Thumper

Autocross Champion
big time! I kept up with a M4 and E63 AMG wagon with my MK6 GTI. I will try to capture it next time. The looks on their face is priceless... like how is a GTI keeping up with my $50k+ car lmao

One of the first events at Ozarks International folk came in from every region, there was a guy I think from Florida with a GT3RS, full race kit, winglets, spoiler, R compounds, etc. Came up to me after a session and said "What the heck do you have in that thing? I came around Turn 9 and saw you up at Turn 10 and started planning my pass to take you before 13.........and when I got there you were gone!! Took me 3 more laps to pass you!!!!"

In his defense I had already spent a weekend on the track and this was his first time and probably a little skittish about wrecking the 1/4 million dollar car, but still.......that just makes you feel good inside. :cool:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
One of the first events at Ozarks International folk came in from every region, there was a guy I think from Florida with a GT3RS, full race kit, winglets, spoiler, R compounds, etc. Came up to me after a session and said "What the heck do you have in that thing? I came around Turn 9 and saw you up at Turn 10 and started planning my pass to take you before 13.........and when I got there you were gone!! Took me 3 more laps to pass you!!!!"

In his defense I had already spent a weekend on the track and this was his first time and probably a little skittish about wrecking the 1/4 million dollar car, but still.......that just makes you feel good inside. :cool:
Hell yeah!!!! Damn nice. I have yet to track my GTI. I use the freeway/interstate (we call it highway in Canada) as my personal track. Bye officer 👋🏾

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hell yeah!!!! Damn nice. I have yet to track my GTI. I use the freeway/interstate (we call it highway in Canada) as my personal track. Bye officer 👋🏾

Do it, trust me once you hit the track risky highway driving and tickets hold no sway anymore, all you will think about it getting back on track where you can have real fun.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Do it, trust me once you hit the track risky highway driving and tickets hold no sway anymore, all you will think about it getting back on track where you can have real fun.
you sir are 100% correct. My dad has said something similar. I will bring my GTI to the race track this year :) I'll say hi officer on the way to the track lol

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion

you sir are 100% correct. My dad has said something similar. I will bring my GTI to the race track this year :) I'll say hi officer on the way to the track lol
Do you guys use track insurance?

I really want to track my GTI one day, but I can not bring myself to sign up for an event without insurance to cover. I called my company and asked if they cover HDPE and they read the line in my policy that explicitly calls out not covering any events at all of the sort. They also dont offer aditional coverage for that.

I looked into insurance and it was like $750 or something - that plus the track day access brings a single track day to just over $1k, which is steep for a day of fun.

The thought of crashing and having to foot the bill for track repairs and repair on my own car is kinda off-putting

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys use track insurance?

I really want to track my GTI one day, but I can not bring myself to sign up for an event without insurance to cover. I called my company and asked if they cover HDPE and they read the line in my policy that explicitly calls out not covering any events at all of the sort. They also dont offer aditional coverage for that.

I looked into insurance and it was like $750 or something - that plus the track day access brings a single track day to just over $1k, which is steep for a day of fun.

The thought of crashing and having to foot the bill for track repairs and repair on my own car is kinda off-putting
should I be using track insurance? I mean it's better safe than sorry, but I know I will be extremely careful... fml why is tracking a car damn expensive...

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I have not used track insurance. When I started for a long time my normal policy would actually cover it (policy language stated no events that are timed or scored) so didn't worry. When I changed insurance and their policy specifically stated no coverage on any surface used for racing I was pretty comfortable on track and as you said it was expensive, it's based on car value too so when I priced it for the TTRS I was like DAYMN. Actually one of the excuses, I mean reasons, I gave to the wife to let me get the Golf R for a dedicated track car. :D Even then, most track insurance polices are really just for if you wreck the car so bad it's a goner, they have very high deductibles usually. If you just rub fenders and crumple some metal it's probably only a couple thousand and under the deductible. So it's not like it's a magic shield.

I've done over 60 HPDE track days, I have seen 1 wreck (3 cars ahead of me, got it on camera lol) and I have had 1 close call (also on film). Both cases would have never happened if the driver had just let the car go off track and collect it instead of trying to "recover" and get back on track immediately.

It comes down to personal situation. Are you literally tracking your DD? How confident are you in your ability to control the red mist when that helmet slides over your head? What group are you on track with? I have done most of my days with NASA (National Auto Sport Association) in the CA, Rocky Mountain, and Central/MidAmerica regions in addition to crossover events with Texas and Mid Lakes. They are a solid organization who are dedicated to safety and learning. I mean, if two race cars touch during a race they have to fill out a form and go before the Director to explain what happened. If you touch in HPDE it's probably the end of your season and at least the weekend.

I have not done many sessions with Track Day groups, though I will be going out with Chin Track Days this year to get extra seat time at Ozarks. As I said, get a feel for them, how they run the event and what they allow or don't allow to happen.

My personal opinion is if you are in the lower HPDE groups (1 and 2) it's unlikely to be an issue. There's always the chance of that Yahoo who thinks he's Hamilton in a Subaru but there's very little side-by-side in those groups and it's all super controlled just passing in straights not hammering doors. When you get the HPDE3 there's corner passing with points so again very controlled, they know you will be next to them cause they pointed you to go there.

It's HPDE4 where I really started to think about insurance but for the most part I know the other guys that are out there with me and how they drive and that they aren't morons. When there's someone new I can get a feel for them in one session and roll through the pits to space away from them and stay clear lining up the next sessions. Of course, I am now pushing harder because I plan to go into Time Trials, hoping to have the budget for it next year and will be trying it out the end of this season. I never once left the track in all my days with 1-3, not once. My first year in HPDE4 the last event I went four-wheels off in the grass.....twice. Hey, it was a track I've never been at before and it was raining and wet LOL I went two wheels off at Ozarks last year once, just looking to find that limit and squeeze another tenth. It's that push to the next level where you are looking for the limit, and you will eventually find that limit.

That said I still run without insurance, but while I would be extremely sad if anything happened to the R I do have other vehicles, and a trailer......and I work in a body shop.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
should I be using track insurance? I mean it's better safe than sorry, but I know I will be extremely careful... fml why is tracking a car damn expensive...
Big boy hobbies cost big boy money unfortunately :(

It sucks because I wont pony up that kinda money for a single track day when I can spend the weekend in another city and still have some money left over. Track day vs weekend vacation is hard to justify for my situation.

I have not used track insurance. When I started for a long time my normal policy would actually cover it (policy language stated no events that are timed or scored) so didn't worry. When I changed insurance and their policy specifically stated no coverage on any surface used for racing I was pretty comfortable on track and as you said it was expensive, it's based on car value too so when I priced it for the TTRS I was like DAYMN. Actually one of the excuses, I mean reasons, I gave to the wife to let me get the Golf R for a dedicated track car. :D Even then, most track insurance polices are really just for if you wreck the car so bad it's a goner, they have very high deductibles usually. If you just rub fenders and crumple some metal it's probably only a couple thousand and under the deductible. So it's not like it's a magic shield.

I've done over 60 HPDE track days, I have seen 1 wreck (3 cars ahead of me, got it on camera lol) and I have had 1 close call (also on film). Both cases would have never happened if the driver had just let the car go off track and collect it instead of trying to "recover" and get back on track immediately.

It comes down to personal situation. Are you literally tracking your DD? How confident are you in your ability to control the red mist when that helmet slides over your head? What group are you on track with? I have done most of my days with NASA (National Auto Sport Association) in the CA, Rocky Mountain, and Central/MidAmerica regions in addition to crossover events with Texas and Mid Lakes. They are a solid organization who are dedicated to safety and learning. I mean, if two race cars touch during a race they have to fill out a form and go before the Director to explain what happened. If you touch in HPDE it's probably the end of your season and at least the weekend.

I have not done many sessions with Track Day groups, though I will be going out with Chin Track Days this year to get extra seat time at Ozarks. As I said, get a feel for them, how they run the event and what they allow or don't allow to happen.

My personal opinion is if you are in the lower HPDE groups (1 and 2) it's unlikely to be an issue. There's always the chance of that Yahoo who thinks he's Hamilton in a Subaru but there's very little side-by-side in those groups and it's all super controlled just passing in straights not hammering doors. When you get the HPDE3 there's corner passing with points so again very controlled, they know you will be next to them cause they pointed you to go there.

It's HPDE4 where I really started to think about insurance but for the most part I know the other guys that are out there with me and how they drive and that they aren't morons. When there's someone new I can get a feel for them in one session and roll through the pits to space away from them and stay clear lining up the next sessions. Of course, I am now pushing harder because I plan to go into Time Trials, hoping to have the budget for it next year and will be trying it out the end of this season. I never once left the track in all my days with 1-3, not once. My first year in HPDE4 the last event I went four-wheels off in the grass.....twice. Hey, it was a track I've never been at before and it was raining and wet LOL I went two wheels off at Ozarks last year once, just looking to find that limit and squeeze another tenth. It's that push to the next level where you are looking for the limit, and you will eventually find that limit.

That said I still run without insurance, but while I would be extremely sad if anything happened to the R I do have other vehicles, and a trailer......and I work in a body shop.

Yeah for me I would be tracking/autocrossing my Daily Driver - so any issues and I'd be stuck renting a car to get to work while I cover repairs on the car & track out of pocket. Not something I can easily stomach - I might just be risk-averse when it comes to $$$ though.