GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why doesn't VW do this?

citrin1893

Ready to race!
Why doesn't VW make their own cold air intake like other car manufacturers do....like Ford? I feel like this would solve a lot of the warranty issues. Or maybe not?

Firestem4

Ready to race!
Why doesn't VW make their own cold air intake like other car manufacturers do....like Ford? I feel like this would solve a lot of the warranty issues. Or maybe not?

I didn't know ford made cold air intakes lol. Or are these just performance intakes stock on their performance cars?

Even so, I would still buy aftermarket from companies like APR, AEM, H&K, etc. They invest smart development intot hese intakes because they want to sell them. For Ford it is just an add-on that they make because its a few extra bucks..nothing like a car brings in.

citrin1893

Ready to race!
Yes Ford puts their CAI into the Mustang GT Bullit standard and its available as an aftermarket purchase, but of course I'd rather buy any aftermarket mod from companies like APR because they do put a lot of research into their development

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
AFIK VW doesn't have the aftermarket "brand". Like Mazda has their Mazdaspeed line of aftermarket parts. Now Mazda doesn't make most of them, their CAI is a rebadged AEM and their coilovers are KW but they have created their own market. VW has not.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
VW has the .:R line of performance products; but currently they are only overseas. With some luck they will eventually be brought to the US as well.

However, the GTI intake is already a cold air intake from the factory... It is a sealed box fed directly from the front grill. The only thing aftermarket intakes do differently is allow better flow.

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
However, the GTI intake is already a cold air intake from the factory... It is a sealed box fed directly from the front grill. The only thing aftermarket intakes do differently is allow better flow.

And in creating better flow, they design an intake that sucks in hot air from the engine bay and use a filter that could potentially foul a MAF. But hey, it looks cool, sounds cool and sells well. That is all the R&D they need.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Most dealerships (of all makes) sell K&N products. Yet, they whine about "warranty" when you put one on and bring it in for warranty work.

And in creating better flow, they design an intake that sucks in hot air from the engine bay and use a filter that could potentially foul a MAF. But hey, it looks cool, sounds cool and sells well. That is all the R&D they need.

Not every manufacturer does this. K&N does, but APR and Forge have intakes that don't. And you can always get a dry high flow filter. Of course, they're more expensive.

scirocco16V1

Passed Driver's Ed
has any actually compared before and after stats between OEM and aftermarket? what sort of intake temp drops are being gained over the OEM?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
VW has the .:R line of performance products; but currently they are only overseas. With some luck they will eventually be brought to the US as well..

That is not a VW company and isnt covered by VW warranty. IT seems like it is but it isnt.

scirocco16V1

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably none. The OEM intake is a cold air intake. It's just a really restrictive one.

I see that, I just noticed APR quotes lower intake temps with theirs.. but there is no stat like its 1 Degrees or 10 degrees IAT. I get the flow issues with the box, just trying the seperate the thermal issues from the flow issues.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
That is not a VW company and isnt covered by VW warranty. IT seems like it is but it isnt.

Interesting. The one I was referring to was actually Volkswagen .:Racing (I had the name wrong) but I looked them up and their parts aren't warranty safe either.

So yeah... VW needs to step it up with the accessory department :D

Clempson13

Ready to race!
why would they want to? if you are going to put a new intake on your brand new GTI is it in their interest to provide one that doesn't void the warranty or to let you go spend your money elsewhere and void your warranty? dealerships make a lot of money on their service departments and if they can void it and charge you the full amount vs having to tell volkswagen they have to foot the bill and get railed on about warranty costs they will choose you every time and blame your aftermarket parts. they still get their $$ and corporate is happy with lower warranty rates both for their bottom line and consumer reports ratings.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Why is anyone worried about their warranty when we have Federal laws like the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions that protect consumers from any warranty related issues with dealerships or vehicle manufacturers?

It is against Federal US law for any modification to cause any part or whole of a vehicle warranty to be voided.

The burden of proof is on the dealership that the aftermarket part was the specific cause of a problem, and then they can only refuse to honor that individual warranty claim.

Installation of the part does not immediately void the warranty. The product must first be proven to be the cause of a problem. Even if there is a problem, the entire warranty remains intact except for the individual issue in question.

The only exception to the above is if a particular product has been banned for use by the Federal Trade Commission, which has yet to occur for any products for this application as far as I am aware.

End of story.