GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window Removal On 2012

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
[This thread is mostly a repeat of my 'door skin removal' thread but this title in this forum may garner a more direct response.]

Does anyone know how to remove the rear door windows on, specifically, the 2012 Golf? In every previous year there were 10mm bolts that were accessed through little grommet covered holes that allowed you to undue the window and pull it out of the door; the 2012 is not like that. Not only are the exterior door skins welded on instead of bolted, making it impossible to remove them under any circumstance, but there are no 10mm bolts. The only thing I can see through the holes is some kind of round, plastic thing that doesn't have a screw head pattern of any sort.

There must be a straight forward way to remove the windows to replace them if they break, or to access the inside of the exterior door skin, right?

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Here's a pic of the only thing that can be tooled with in the rear door. It would seem that this plastic thing has replaced the usual 10mm bolt:

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Okay, it turned out removing those plastic pins is super easy. The smaller inner circular piece you see in the above photo is movable. Just tape it into the door and pick it up when the panel is out. Then tap out the larger circular piece. Presto - the window is released. You have to remove the whether stripping if you want to pull the window right out of the door, though. I only needed to have the window released from the panel/regulator, then I kept it in the up position to do what I needed to do in the door. Simply reverse the process to remount the window to the regulator holder thingy.