GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Jaber

Modero
Yeah, yeah, Dan. I know. I'm a big fan of Michelin's though which is why I decided to go with them.

I would still like to know why I get vibrations around 75 mph even AFTER I had them re-balanced.

On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the vibration?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Yeah, yeah, Dan. I know. I'm a big fan of Michelin's though which is why I decided to go with them.

I would still like to know why I get vibrations around 75 mph even AFTER I had them re-balanced.

I apologize for the balancing issues you are having. When you had them re-done, did you get a road force balance?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I apologize for the balancing issues you are having. When you had them re-done, did you get a road force balance?

Unsure, really. Discount Tire is pretty reputable so I just assumed that they did the right thing. Maybe I shouldn't assume? I'll call tomorrow and report back.

fflemke22

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had to return to Discount Tire for balancing issues. I like them for prices/warranty certificate...not so much for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the vibration?

10 being the worst, I'd say 4. Very subjective though. Definitely in the steering that wasn't present before. Steering wheel has slight (but noticeable) shaking/vibration.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
After ALL we talked about....you still went with those (a more expensive tire), lol

The Generals have been awesome & no noise at all

As for balancing...you're not the first to complain about them being off from TireRack (unfortunately)

I'm sorry but the general altimax arctic is a loud tire compared to the xi3. They are a very good tire in the snow, but definitely not quiet.

I run the generals on my GTI, and my gf has the xi3 on her Forester. The xi3 is very smooth and quiet when I drive her car on dry pavement, then I get into my car and I can really hear the difference.

I agree with the other reviewers of the xi3, and not being as good in slushy snow. But in packed powder, or snow covered roads, the tire is great. Overall on snow covered roads, the GTI handles better around turns and feels more planted to the ground. I just wish I could get going from a stop as fast as the forester in the snow.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm sorry but the general altimax arctic is a loud tire compared to the xi3. They are a very good tire in the snow, but definitely not quiet.

I run the generals on my GTI, and my gf has the xi3 on her Forester. The xi3 is very smooth and quiet when I drive her car on dry pavement, then I get into my car and I can really hear the difference.

I agree with the other reviewers of the xi3, and not being as good in slushy snow. But in packed powder, or snow covered roads, the tire is great. Overall on snow covered roads, the GTI handles better around turns and feels more planted to the ground. I just wish I could get going from a stop as fast as the forester in the snow.

Mine, 215/55/17, are quiet.
I never said they were quieter than the xi3 though, since I've never had those.
I just was saying that they're cheaper than the xi3 (he was on a tight budget originally)

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Update after a few thousand miles on my Blizzak WS80 205/55/16...

Prior to this I owned a set of Hankook icept Evo W310 winter tires in 225/45/17. At first I loved the dry road handling of the tires because they didn't feel squishy or squirmy like most winter tires...and then it snowed. In the snow they were terrible and had zero grip. I toughed it out two seasons before I decided to ditch them and get a new setup.

I did a lot of research and spoke with the guys at TireRack a few times. I was deciding between the Blizzaks, Michelin, and the Continental. I was originally going to go with the Contis because of the price but after asking Sonny his opinions and speaking with the TireRack guys I decided on the Blizzaks. My thoughts were if I'm going to get a dedicated winter tire it might as well be the best one out there.

Toronto's roads are generally well maintained in the winter so dry road handling was a concern. The Blizzaks definitely feel like a winter tire and there is a bid of wandering on the highway but it is tolerable. The noise level is extremely low (much lower then my 225/18 Bridgestone summer tires).

The last few days we have been getting quite a bit of snow, and the roads have had a few inches of slushy snow on them. The Blizzaks have been absolutely fantastic. Their grip in these conditions is impressive to say the least, you can almost drive the car completely normally without fear of slipping or sliding. They absolutely shine in poor conditions and the tradeoff in dry weather performance is worth the extra confidence in bad conditions.

Overall the tires are fantastic and TireRack was a great. Would definitely buy them again!

aregister

Ready to race!
I grabbed a set of 16" steelies and goodyear ultragrip winters. They are great. Look terrible, But perform well in wet, snow, and ice. Also studdable if you live in, like, Minnesota or somewhere north. They are rated pretty well and I haven't noticed any vibration. My exhaust is loud so they may be noisy and i just don't notice. Next winter tire setup I get will be blizzaks, But that won't be for awhile

Wykdtron

Ready to race!
I grabbed a set of 16" steelies and goodyear ultragrip winters. They are great. Look terrible, But perform well in wet, snow, and ice. Also studdable if you live in, like, Minnesota or somewhere north. They are rated pretty well and I haven't noticed any vibration. My exhaust is loud so they may be noisy and i just don't notice. Next winter tire setup I get will be blizzaks, But that won't be for awhile

Unfortunately it is very illegal to stud your tires in Minnesota : (. If I could stud tires here I would be driving a rwd car of some sort.

aregister

Ready to race!
Unfortunately it is very illegal to stud your tires in Minnesota : (. If I could stud tires here I would be driving a rwd car of some sort.
That sucks! Lol I totally just stereotyped, I actually haven't looked at state laws for studding tires. So looks like I stand quite corrected

Don S.

Passed Driver's Ed
What air pressure do you guys run on your snow tires? I have a 2013 Wolfsburg and a set of Blizzak WS80s on 16-inch steelies. Right now have them at 38 like my OEM Dunlops.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
What air pressure do you guys run on your snow tires? I have a 2013 Wolfsburg and a set of Blizzak WS80s on 16-inch steelies. Right now have them at 38 like my OEM Dunlops.

I'm running my 16" WS80s at 38psi as well.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anyone try a Nokian? Heard from a 911 Turbo driver that these are by far the best winter tires out there. It's a Finnish company, so you'd bet they know a thing or two about winters and driving...

fflemke22

Passed Driver's Ed
Run the Nokian Hakkapellita R2 on both my car and my wife's CX-5. Pretty much made my wife's car feel unstoppable here in Chicago...Ground clearance was my only issue. I used her 4 wheel drive to flatten the alley for my GTI. Could not recommend more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk