GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wobble On Acceleration

DownCidDrum

2011 Golf 2.5L i5 engine with DSG

Its had this problem for nearly 2 years. When I accelerate at around 35-55 mph It gets really wobbly. replaced passenger wheel bearing (1.5 years ago) think that was the issue (didn't help). Figured out a bigger problem I had a bad cv axle (1.5 years ago) for a while so I had that replaced (that fixed the problem a lot but was still there sometimes). Then took it on a 2.5k mile road trip (1 year ago) and had to replace both tie rod ends when I got back(it was making clunking noise when turning). Then over the next couple of months seemed to just get worse with the wobble. So I decided to get a trans fluid change (2 months ago) a bit of super fine metal shavings on the magnets but looked normal (also got both front tires replaced and got the whole car balanced and aligned). Hoping to fix the problem but got it back from the shop and they said it all good to go only problem was for me to get the driver wheel bearing replaced so I did that a few weeks ago and it still has the wobble issue. Its so bad I think you can even hear the wobbling in the exhaust note of the car

Sorry its a bit hard to read. but here is a quick list

front wheel bearings replaced
both tie rod ends replaced
new front tires
new driver cv axle
trans fluid change
balance and align

I have looked over all the things on the front suspension and it all looks good no tears in the cv boots and no worn bushings either. Is my trans maybe messed up to cause a wobble. I bought the car with 80k miles on it guessing the trans fluid was changed then or at 60k ish miles then I changed it again at about 128k miles because the trans started feeling weird(fake shift in 2nd gear at low rpms) and now it feels good and shifts nice but the whole car wobbles at about 35-55 mph. Currently its my only "reliable transportation" so I am forced to drive it to the store and stuff.

So anybody have ideas on what causes this

edit: should I post this in the suspension and chassis discussion page?

edit: I also had another issue with it for almost 2 years when the car goes from coasting to foot down on the accelerator this is a noticeable clunk noise(so I always ease onto the pedal).

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The clunk on acceleration could be a motor/trans Mount. I’d check them.

Bent rim?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I agree with checking the motor and trans mounts. Just push on the engine and see how much it moves (you may have to remove the engine cover). I noticed similar sway on hard excelleration in my last golf when it was stage 2 and the stock mounts were shot. Replacing the mounts made a huge difference.

DownCidDrum

I will check that this week when Its a bit warmer out. Sorry I didn't see your messages earlier must have missed the email.

I have previously tried to check engine mounts but didn't do a good job at looking and yes when rev in park the engine has more movement that most engines but I knew that the 5 cylinders torque a lot on the mounts. but like I said I will try and check them this week

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Check your ball joints too.

DownCidDrum

Don't know why these pictures are huge but there seems to be quite a bit of play on the trans mounts pictures below going to replace them(trans and motor mount) in the next few weeks and probably do both cv axles soon after that. (if the problem isn't fixed)
One final question is it normal when the car is jacked up and I try and rotate the wheels they have about a 1-2 inches of movement back and forth. Not sure if I had this when I first bought the car but I do sometimes forget to crack the lug nuts loose before lifting the tire so I have used the breaker bar with the wheels in the air a couple of times obviously trying not to jerk on the transmission to much when I've done this.
transmount1.jpg
transmount2.jpg
transmount3.jpg