would I be ok on vwr springs?

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
I just bought a 2012 2dr base cw gti and it's totally stock
other than a whispbar rack. This is also my first financed car
and I've been in love with VWs for years but I know very little
about cars and mods.

I've been on this site for a while and have an idea of what I want to
mod. So the first thing I want to do is lower it.

I've decided on vwr springs but my car has 47k miles on it with original shocks

so my question is, would i be ok on the vwr springs with my current stock dampers or should I buy a new set? I plan on getting some koni FSDs or something but I won't if I can drive with my stock ones on for a year or so.

gichoke

Passed Driver's Ed
I upgraded to DG springs at 40k. Looking back I wish I had also upgraded the dampers. I know the springs are different, but the drop / spring rate is similar (not too aggressive). You will end up paying twice for the install if you wait, just do it now. From what I have read Bilstein B6 or B8 pair nicely with this type of spring.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
I upgraded to DG springs at 40k. Looking back I wish I had also upgraded the dampers. I know the springs are different, but the drop / spring rate is similar (not too aggressive). You will end up paying twice for the install if you wait, just do it now. From what I have read Bilstein B6 or B8 pair nicely with this type of spring.

Yeah I think ima get the b8s but ima do all the installation with a friend so im not to worried about the second installation cost. If I install the VWRs alone, will i be ok for a few months untill I get the dampers or is that not recommended at all? Im not sure when I'll have the money for the set of dampers and I wanna drop asap :)

ForzaGTI

Ready to race!
Yeah I think ima get the b8s but ima do all the installation with a friend so im not to worried about the second installation cost. If I install the VWRs alone, will i be ok for a few months untill I get the dampers or is that not recommended at all? Im not sure when I'll have the money for the set of dampers and I wanna drop asap :)

Had the same exact dilemma when I got my VWR springs on my 40K miles 2010 GTI this fall.

if you are not worried about x2 installation and cost, you will be fine for a year or two on these. Just make sure you avoid pot holes etc, and that you check the air in your tires. The ride will be stiff on 18. If you are on 17, the ride will be better and the dampers will suffer less.

One thing to note, is that you will have a reverse rake...The back of your car will look like it sit lower than the front due to the fender clearance between the front and the back.

Ideally, I would go directly to Koni yellows or B8's.

I also recommend the following, (credit to TheBruce for these) they made a difference:

-TT mounts and new strut bearings.
8J0 412 331 - front strut mount TT/RS3/Cupra (2)
(same shape and fitment as stock Golf/GTI/Jetta/GLI/Eos/Passat/A3, but 30 % stiffer=Improved steering response)

-6N0 412 249 D - strut bearing OR SKF VKD 35025 T (2)
-N 910 216 01 - nuts (2)
-N 101 277 07- bolts (6)

Don't duel much about it since you virtually have no installation cost.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
Thanks guys! I really appriciate the help. I totes forgot it's almost tax return time so I might just go straight to the VWRs with b8s and replace the bolts and stuff. Also get an alignment after a couple miles.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys! I really appriciate the help. I totes forgot it's almost tax return time so I might just go straight to the VWRs with b8s and replace the bolts and stuff. Also get an alignment after a couple miles.

You could look for a set of used low milage oem gti springs.

v.b

Ready to race!
You could look for a set of used low milage oem gti springs.

He has a gti..

And vwr springs don't cause a reverse rake as some claim. They didn't on my car, and on many other cars from the pictures I've seen in this forum.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
He has a gti..

And vwr springs don't cause a reverse rake as some claim. They didn't on my car, and on many other cars from the pictures I've seen in this forum.

Right and his stock gti shocks have 47K on them , which at that point if hes replacing his springs it would be a good idea to replace the shocks as well. Which is why I suggested a set of used low milage GTI shocks, much cheaper than a new set of Konis.

And yes on manual trans cars you do get the illusion of reverse rake, just as ForzaGTI explained.

v.b

Ready to race!
Right and his stock gti shocks have 47K on them , which at that point if hes replacing his springs it would be a good idea to replace the shocks as well. Which is why I suggested a set of used low milage GTI shocks, much cheaper than a new set of Konis.

And yes on manual trans cars you do get the illusion of reverse rake, just as ForzaGTI explained.

Your post that I quoted suggests he gets new springs - typo, no big deal. Low mileage gti shocks are actually not a bad idea if they can be sourced from somewhere for cheap.

However, no rake with VWR springs on my 6mt GTI and on plenty of other GTIs that I've seen pictures of.