GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you ever buy a used VW that was once registered in Quebec?

40Roller

Serious question. Would anyone ever considering buying a used GTI or R that was either first registered in Quebec or driven there for a large period of time by its owner? I have heard the horror stories so just wondering what everyone's opinion was of this?

Buhrady

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought an '07 Rabbit from Quebec to Ontario. Carproof was totally clean, but the A-pillar, and a few other areas, were two different shades of white. It was cheap so I didn't care too much. But for something like a GTI, I would care. I would not buy.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
if you could identify how well the car was cared for.. .I think you're pretty much in the same boat as if you would buy from someone in Northern Ontario.
What do you mean by "driven there for large periods of time"? High mileage? Doesn't matter where you get the used car from, the buyer has always got to beware and keep their eyes wide open ears tuned when purchasing a used car in a private sale... hell even dealer lots you need to be careful. Nothing is guaranteed.
Test drive with the radio off and the windows down where ever possible!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Serious question. Would anyone ever considering buying a used GTI or R that was either first registered in Quebec or driven there for a large period of time by its owner? I have heard the horror stories so just wondering what everyone's opinion was of this?
Yup, the Golf 2.5 came from Quebec with 61K km, just give it a good inspection, if everything checks out you should be fine.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So the mk6 GTI I own and I purchased in the year 2016 is from Montreal, QC. (Carfax proof) It did have some rust on the oil pan itself, but the rest of the parts has no rust at all.
The oil pan has been replaced long ago.

It depends on the condition and where it was driven in Quebec. I would always do an inspection (while you watch) when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. Doesn't matter where it's from.

They say a vehicle purchase is a big purchase right next to buying a house/condo/property, so take your time and inspect it thoroughly, while you have leverage.
If the dealership/owner/private dealership doesn't want to let you inspect it, MOVE ON. No one should rush you to buy... that should be your first red flag if someone rushes you to buy ASAP.

Don't believe, oh someone else is interested in it, tell them to sell it to them, take. your. time. Do not rush into buying vehicles, use your brain, not just your heart.