GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

xytbyk's GTI and TDI (but mostly GTI)

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Intake looks great. Modshack is doing well on the forum!

Yeah. Steve's definitely a pro. I was happy to buy the VTDA in part just to support his contributions to the forum. Like, if there was a coffee table book of grambles' technical write-ups of the IHI and other stuff I knew nothing about before, or a Time-Life VHS series of plac's DIYs, I'd buy those too.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how sophisticated the Modshack intake is. I figured it would be a hollow cylinder over a cone filter (I mean, it is exactly that), but the details like the insulation/baffling lining the shield, the cone diffuser over the filter, the powder coating--all that stuff is really nicely done.

It's hard to say if there is any performance difference from the PFlo--which is really nice--but I like hearing other parts of the car instead of the shop-vac noise that the PFlo made. Up until I was 25 I'd have preferred the PFlo for the exact opposite reason. I also like the better shielding on the VTDA since my "spirited driving" sessions are typically bookended by a half-hour of stop and go beach traffic. I haven't compared any IAT data yet, but the butt dyno says there might be a slight improvement there.

The only really minor, materially worthless alteration I made to the VTDA setup is the secondary breather element. I reused the filter from my Pflo instead of what he sent since it looks a bit classier. It's hidden, does basically nothing, and is a $5 piece. So again that isn't a big deal, and would only matter to weirdos like me with a CBFA motor who cram their heads deep in the engine bay pretty often and like to see a spot of polished metal instead of a black filter.

Last edited:

Swarm1424

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah. Steve's definitely a pro. I was happy to buy the VTDA in part just to support his contributions to the forum. Like, if there was a coffee table book of grambles' technical write-ups of the IHI and other stuff I knew nothing about before, or a Time-Life VHS series of plac's DIYs, I'd buy those too.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how sophisticated the Modshack intake is. I figured it would be a hollow cylinder over a cone filter (I mean, it is exactly that), but the details like the insulation/baffling lining the shield, the cone diffuser over the filter, the powder coating--all that stuff is really nicely done.

It's hard to say if there is any performance difference from the PFlo--which is really nice--but I like hearing other parts of the car instead of the shop-vac noise that the PFlo made. Up until I was 25 I'd have preferred the PFlo for the exact opposite reason. I also like the better shielding on the VTDA since my "spirited driving" sessions are typically bookended by a half-hour of stop and go beach traffic. I haven't compared any IAT data yet, but the butt dyno says there might be a slight improvement there.

The only really minor, materially worthless alteration I made to the VTDA setup is the secondary breather element. I reused the filter from my Pflo instead of what he sent since it looks a bit classier. It's hidden, does basically nothing, and is a $5 piece. So again that isn't a big deal, and would only matter to weirdos like me with a CBFA motor who cram their heads deep in the engine bay pretty often and like to see a spot of polished metal instead of a black filter.

Dude i want that modshack intake so bad, can't afford it tho as I'm in the middle of my billy downpipe purchase and tryin to get stage 2 done, but that intake is so nice, I wish I could just get a basic regular black version of it and be done with it. R u by chance getting rid of ur pflow? I would be interested if ur selling it. Pm me lemme know man. Btw when r u going k04? I'd be interested in coming by and checking it out or if ur doing the install on ur own I'll lend a hand:)

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Dude i want that modshack intake so bad, can't afford it tho as I'm in the middle of my billy downpipe purchase and tryin to get stage 2 done, but that intake is so nice, I wish I could just get a basic regular black version of it and be done with it. R u by chance getting rid of ur pflow? I would be interested if ur selling it. Pm me lemme know man. Btw when r u going k04? I'd be interested in coming by and checking it out or if ur doing the install on ur own I'll lend a hand:)

I actually sold the PFlo on Sunday. Sorry man.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those intakes. The K&N that a couple guys were running also looks like a really nice setup. I'm generally not a fan of the big black box-type stuff like the AWE and Carbonio. But, that's just because those require more effort to get at the filter, and I'll choose the option that lets me be lazy whenever I can.

Considering what I'll use the car for, the GIAC guys pretty much sold me on doing the K04 instead of going bigger--Austin & Thomas, my wife will probably bake you a pie for talking me off the edge. I'm going to try to wait until at least November/December for sale season on the K04. Since it's probably half the cost of the BT setup I was planning on, I can do it earlier I guess.

I'll definitely let you know when I do the install, and I'll keep you well supplied in high-quality beer and pizza if you want to hold a flashlight for me, and maybe let me know if the car is slipping off the jack stands. :thumbsup:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
I've been back in the US for a week and bought a SPM Street TBE and a CTS Turbo K04. Also switching to GIAC for the ECU and DSG. I updated the mod list on the first page to reflect it, and I think I'm done.

Hopefully I'll have everything on by Oktoberfest. Also planning to dyno pre and post-K04 install.

So, again, no more mods. Just maintenance from here on out.

Just redoing the powder coat on my wheels.

And the engine and tranny mounts are probably pretty close to spent.

Also, my TDI has a much nicer MFD interface; probably need to upgrade to the 9W7 module.

Pretty sure I hear a buzzing in the left rear speaker. Actually, the stereo really sounds hollow without a sub.

Water-meth makes sense given how hot it gets here (well not where I live, but nearby).

What use is the extra HP without better grip, right? WALK and the XB would make sense at that point for sure.
I mean, I have two dogs, but only one dog sticker on the car. Obviously, I need as many dog stickers as dogs. I think my tint is starting to bubble too. My side skirts don't match the rest of the car.

:eek:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
It's gone. If you click on one of the pics above, there are a couple more shots of the turbo kit on my Flickr. I'll post more here if need be after I finish up work today. On my way out the door.

EDIT: Added more hot and cool side images.

Last edited:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
For anybody who is curious, here is a picture of the noise suppressor (top):

If that bottom turbo set-up looks familiar, it should. While I was digging around researching K04 kits, I came across JBS in the UK. Based solely on the photos, everything but the logo is identical to the APR kit hardware. If you look closely, you can see where JBS erased the area where the APR logo was:

Even the JBS prose mimics APR:
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/4021/jbs-20-tsi-k04-turbocharger-kit
http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_trans_20_tsi_k04.html

"No matter what he says, he is not my doppelganger"

Last edited:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Took my TDI on a canyon cruise this weekend. It's apparent that there's a big difference in handling between the two cars--manifested in me sliding the car through a blind corner at what would have been about 5 or 6/10 in the GTI. So, springs, sways, tires, pads, fluid, and bushings.

But, when I start looking for parts, I see other stuff. That's bad.

I know that at least one guy on here has these. They are nearly perfect looking and would cost 15% of what HRE 505s would:

3SDM0.05

CatButt

Or, in the words of John Buffum..."In like a lamb, out like a lion". As one who witnessed the above mentioned slide I say leave the TDI alone and drive the GTI more. Reason number 1: I am trying to keep from modding mine and if you mod your TDI I will feel an urge to mod mine and I will never forgive you. Reason 2: see reason 1.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Or, in the words of John Buffum..."In like a lamb, out like a lion". As one who witnessed the above mentioned slide I say leave the TDI alone and drive the GTI more. Reason number 1: I am trying to keep from modding mine and if you mod your TDI I will feel an urge to mod mine and I will never forgive you. Reason 2: see reason 1.

Haha. Truer words were never spoken. It was the first corner I tried to push it a little bit. I absolutely did not give enough brake early, then turned in with the car completely unsettled. Total amateur. Somewhat ironically, Buffum's from right near where I learned to drive like a fool (went to high school).

Fair enough on the mods. You are changing out your wheels and the downpipe though, right? So, I mean, you know, nothing major. Just fixing the imperfections.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Your thread makes me want to buy a 2012 TDI GOLF 4DR DSG in CW to compliment my current GTI. :)

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Your thread makes me want to buy a 2012 TDI GOLF 4DR DSG in CW to compliment my current GTI. :)

Thanks man. Yeah, we'd be opposites, except you'd still have me beat in the power department in the GTI by a pretty big margin! I've actually shown your build to a couple buddies when we were having the "ultimate sleeper" conversation before you put on the TRs, so you've got a small fan club in California.

The TDI is really surprisingly fun, and if you're on the highway a fair amount, it's tremendous.

Are you near Greenbrier? My dad used to live there, and I still visit the area pretty often--my brother-in-law is stationed at Little Creek in VA Beach and a lot of my family lives in Elizabeth City.