GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your tune isn't so secret anymore....

livefast

Ready to race!
Fuck. I don't think I'm gonna go stage 1 now unless I can confirm my dealer is mod-friendly. This news sucks.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Pm sent. Been to the dealer 3 times for some work. Twice involved door seals and the last was the 10k service. Very curious to see what comes up. The dealer ship I bought the car from I know is not mod friendly so I go to a different one to avoid that.

Bender1

Banned

I am sure its not, APR has to be out of their minds to think that VW was using their tunes just for demo purposes. They absolutely were reverse engineering to both see the changes made and then be able to identify them. And if VW WASN'T doing that, shame on them.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Anyone have real-world experience like bringing in their flashed car in stock form (with lockout) and been denied? This is sad, but strange that no one has noticed this until now? This generation has been out since late 2009!

killfish

Ready to race!
This is good news! I can finally APR badge my car without giving a shit about what the dealer thinks!

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
I don't get why everyone has the pitchforks out for APR. How many have been denied warranty because of a tune? Very few.

killfish

Ready to race!
I am sure its not, APR has to be out of their minds to think that VW was using their tunes just for demo purposes. They absolutely were reverse engineering to both see the changes made and then be able to identify them. And if VW WASN'T doing that, shame on them.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Its pretty easy to track a change in software. Just check the hash. All VW has to do is set a parameter to check this and raise a flag for any non-VW software.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I HAVE ENOUGH VIN #'s FOR NOW!!!!!!

Of course VW has a way to know if it's chipped, but, it has never been available to the dealer to get pulled up by the vin. Not in the US anyway.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I'm pretty sure my dealer will be more upset by my aftermarket headunit and aftermarket hid replica headlamps than my tune, lol.. the aftermarket stuff throws a ton of soft codes in vagcom but the tune is nicely hidden... for now.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Maybe we'll need to start swapping the ECUs themselves before heading to the dealership if this starts causing more warranty denials and hassles. :(

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
Very interesting! Thanks dbest for posting this. I know my dealer isnt mod friendly, but I didnt really have any intentions of chipping any time soon (even though its tempting).

:D

daschrier1

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe we'll need to start swapping the ECUs themselves before heading to the dealership if this starts causing more warranty denials and hassles. :(

So you want it even more difficult for tuning companies to access the ECU? If people start doing this then you bet the car companies will start locking these things down where they are not easily accessable.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I HAVE ENOUGH VIN #'s FOR NOW!!!!!!

Of course VW has a way to know if it's chipped, but, it has never been available to the dealer to get pulled up by the vin. Not in the US anyway.

lol.

ur gonna get a shit storm of pms now.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
This is good news! I can finally APR badge my car without giving a shit about what the dealer thinks!

Was kind thinking the same thing, with my new UR downpipe I have sitting in the attic!

Off topic but a friend of mine has 2011 dodge cummins that he has tuned with an H&S black maxx programer ( I believe that what it was atleast). Anyways it is suppose to leave no trace of it ever altering the programming. The ecu is suppose to log boost numbers and dealers check that if they suspect the truck is tuned and this hides that some how. Well I found out the other that the ecu also logs how many times it has been interfaced and the dealer can check that and see that it has been plugged into way more times than dealer visits and see that it has been tuned that way. Food for thought. The dealers are getting smarter.

Also curious about whether vagcom changes would give the same thing in the system. I hate to add to DBest's annoyance but maybe some that has had some vagcom tweaks and isn't tuned and has been to the dealer could have
him check there vin. More food for thought.