GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
First off, ^ gremlins were just a charge air leak at the boost gauge filter.

Second, what a car-themed Christmas! FINALLY! haha (background: this stuff has been on my wish list for a couple years, suddenly I get inundated with it. Not complaining)
  • Craftsman click-style 150lb-ft torque wrench
  • AC-Delco 200ft-lb in-line torque gauge
  • A shop vac
  • Stuff in pic below
  • A tire pressure gauge
  • WD-40
  • IR thermometer
  • A waterproof case to put my phone in when my hands are greasy
  • No fewer than 4 LED lamps, including one with a head strap.

clownish

just clowning around
I've always wanted a led headlamp - usually end up with a flashlight in my teeth or like balanced somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I've always wanted a led headlamp - usually end up with a flashlight in my teeth or like balanced somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't wait to use it under the car. I can't seem to hold onto anything down there

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Do I see GTI boxers?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Hey Jeff,

I'm hoping you guys could help me out with a rusty exhaust clamp. I've attached a couple pictures. This is the stock clamp. It's been on the car for 73k miles and 3 years. I'm trying to switch out the downpipe and midpipe for a better flowing unit. Typically it's a pretty easy job. I've got all the O2 sensors and turbo flange bolts loosened. I've had these clamp bolts soaking in PB blaster for a week and even after applying some heat I haven't been able to break them loose. I've come to accept that I may have to cut this clamp in order to free the midpipe.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Let this be a lesson in: Using the Right Tools for the Job

The shop used a pivoting ratchet was able to get those damned clamp bolts loose with hardly any effort at all. Also, it should be noted that when you drive through snow frequently, you're going to be building up a lot of snow and ice between the subframe and the frame and eventually even the engine. That explains the odd sounds I've been hearing on take-off and acceleration - I thought for sure my dogbone mount had come loose.

Regardless, downpipe is installed. Without a tune I can definitely notice a beefier midrange, better throttle control and faster spooling. The top end has gains but not as much as the midrange. Didn't seem to have lost anything on the low end, which I was worried about. At least I didn't notice anything on the way home. The car is notably faster. On my way home through Canada I was taking it 80-120 in 80-110 timeframes. There's virtually no change in mid-throttle attitude as far as I can tell, aside from the faster spool.

From what I can tell, the car does sound better with the downpipe (400 cell ceramic cat and BIG resonator). It's got a "gnarl" to it that wasn't there before. It's only marginally louder in the cabin at full throttle. Nearly no difference at part throttle. I can't comment on sound all that much though, because the resonator is rattling on the UB brace. Spacers already ordered, should be able to install this weekend.

Also, APR mobile ordered and I'm scheduling a tune this weekend! :happyanim:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
2nd drive update: My wife thinks the car is quieter with the downpipe. I disagree, but we both think the car sounds better. It's also much faster with two people in a stage1+dp car than with one person in a stage1 car (duh?).

Can't get the shit-eating grin off my face when I drive it...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
3rd drive update: driving is hard when it snows so damn much :mad0259:

I'm starting to smell the lack of the catalytic converters. It's not a terrible smell, but it's a tee-off that the car isn't stock. Of course when you're moving it's all behind you, but pulling up to a stop it's notable. I have a very sensitive sense of smell...

I was able to do a 2nd-4th pull on a wet but not slushy highway a moment ago. First off, I couldn't get it to throttle-cut after a hard shift! SO glad that's gone. Made my stage 1 about as fast as a civic if I tried shifting as fast as possible. Also, I noted a turbine wind-up sound at around 2800 RPM. Sounded like it was coming from the turbo itself, rather than the intake. Very faint. Not worried about it.

I was able to fondle the turbine when I had the DP off the car. No play whatsoever - either in the axial direction or orthogonal directions. Impressive for a 76k mile car with 4 track days and an autocross under its belt.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Got tuned today. Honestly I have only one thing to say about it. Not because there's little to say but because I drove 2 hours through a snow storm there and back to get the flash done. I couldn't test the powerband at all without spinning the tires. Couldn't do much of anything without sliding all over.

Really the only thing I can say about getting flashed to stage 2 is that the throttle response is EPIC. Boost comes on so effortlessly that the engine feels bigger than it is. It may be that removing the cat has increased the N/A power, but that power is more readily on tap at my right foot's disposal. I'm really liking the sound, too. More raw.

Sucks to get tuned in the winter.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Nice, congrats on the tune. Wait till you really get to put your foot down and realize how much meatier the torque curve is now compared to stage I.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Nice, congrats on the tune. Wait till you really get to put your foot down and realize how much meatier the torque curve is now compared to stage I.

It's so tantalizing. I can feel that there's more. I know it. The throttle response is bonkers compared to before. It's more sensitive, there's more immediate torque on tap and the rest of the torque comes on faster. But every time I really dig into the pedal my tires dig themselves out of the snow they're rolling in and I just fly off to spin city.

Better update dat sig, bro.

DONE. :thumbup: