GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Tuning Catch Can

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Review: ECS Tuning VW 2.0TSI Catch Can for GTI MK6

Edit: I'm using the OEM "stage 2" intake pipe. K04, BigTurbo, or aftermarket "Stage 2" intake pipes may not work with this CatchCan as the lines will be too short. Do your homework before you make the purchase. :D

So after a reading internet articles, forum reviews, and watching youtube vids about catch cans I decided to give one a try. I have to first admit, I’ve been a picky about this mod because I didn’t like the hose routing of most designs which go across the front of the engine. Yeah, not a big deal but it’s just one of those things I did not want to have on my engine. Additionally, I’ve been a long time skeptic about the actual need for one as most people who research mod have ran into this debate. It wasn’t until a few months ago while cleaning my boost gauge line and replacing the vacuum filter that I realized the excessive amount of oil blow-by that was entering the line. I pretty much decided from this and my recent TOP O-ring maintenance that the blow-by oil was entering the turbo lines a bit too much for my liking.

Enter ECS Tuning’s new 2.0TSI catch can for the GTI MK6. I was interested in this catch can early on as I really liked how clean the hose routing was and the simple overall design. Prices for catch cans, in general, are a bit pricey so I waited for their holiday sale and was able to order it for ~$340 shipped which I considered a good deal.

The catch can kit arrives quickly and waited for a weekend evening to install it. (12-13-2015) ECS packaging was really good but based on a review directly on ECS store webpage; I fully inspected the kit as the reviewer reported missing items. All the parts were in my kit. However, upon opening up each bagged item I noticed that both hose line fittings had minor scratches at both ends. I initially thought they were damaged during shipping but after really inspecting the hose fittings you can clearing tell that the scratches were done during manufacturing. (see pics below) For me, this wasn’t a deal breaker as I’m not entering any car shows to show off my engine bay, however, for people that rightfully want their product as perfect as can be….this would be an issue. The irony of the scratches is that ECS instructions provide a great tip of masking off your wrench so that you don’t scratch the hose nuts. :laugh: The dip-stick feature is cool and allows simple check-ups.

Installation:
Installing this catch was fairly easy. Just follow the instructions that ECS provides on their website. Also, you can actually do some pre-work in your kitchen or garage prior to installation day. Things like oiling the O-ring on the can threads, dipstick, and pre-assembling one of the fitment U-bend for the hose.
The most difficult part, at least for me, was un-clipping the PCV hose on the “stage 2” portion of the air intake pipe (near the turbo). What a PITA! :bonk: I’m mean seriously…… how do you get both hands in there to press on all four corners of that “quick” release? I struggled with this and ended up using a couple of flat screwdrivers which resulted in my breaking the dam clip. It’s still usable down the road when I have to reinstall it get my rig smogged but I may have to add a zip-tie to prevent it from falling off.
The other interesting but simple part of the install was to need to file the PCV (front) outlet per Step 14 of the instructions. I placed a rag underneath and used a medium grit file until it the PCV outlet was flush and the cap pressed in enough for the clip to fit properly. All the other items (hoses and catch can brace) are very easy to follow and implement.

Overall results after a close to two months of use:
I began checking the catch can dipstick weekly and really didn’t see anything until almost a month later. I removed the dipstick and unscrewed the can and it was about half full. Now I’m not sure if anyone has stated this in other catch-can reviews but man….the watery/oil –like fluid and sludge stunk really bad. It smells like rotten fuel. I emptied the fluid in an old plastic container and I assume I’ll just toss it in my used oil can when I take it to Pep Boys. Then used a shop paper towel to clean the sludge at the bottom of the can and simply reassemble. Ensure you re-oil the O-rings on the can and dip stick.
It kind of makes me feel better knowing that this krap isn’t re-entering my turbo, IC pipes, FMIC, and manifold. The real performance difference is actually my boost gauge. It needle moves a lot smoother given that fact that blow-by oil on the manifold is not entering the boost gauge line via the PCV.
:thumbup:

Pros:
-Catches blow-by oil minimizing re-entry of the Turbo/IC system
-Smoother Boost gauge operation
-Easy installation
-Aesthetically appealing…at least by me
-Easy dip-stick access to check fluid level

Cons:
-Increased (smelly) maintenance
-Minor scratches at hose fittings (Maybe my kit was a fluke?)

Obviously catch cans are not for everyone. Especially those folks who don’t like to deal with increased/added maintenance. (This seems to me like I’ll be on a 3-4 week schedule to check and empty my catch-can.) Also the debate on whether catch-cans help reduce carbon build up will live on. I’m okay with the extra maintenance and I’m happy with my purchase. :)

Pic of scratches:

Installed:

Pic of the krap that comes out when you empty your can:

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So after a reading internet articles, forum reviews, and watching youtube vids about catch cans I decided to give one a try. I have to first admit, I’ve been a picky about this mod because I didn’t like the hose routing of most designs which go across the front of the engine. Yeah, not a big deal but it’s just one of those things I did not want to have on my engine. Additionally, I’ve been a long time skeptic about the actual need for one as most people who research mod have ran into this debate. It wasn’t until a few months ago while cleaning my boost gauge line and replacing the vacuum filter that I realized the excessive amount of oil blow-by that was entering the line. I pretty much decided from this and my recent TOP O-ring maintenance that the blow-by oil was entering the turbo lines a bit too much for my liking.

Enter ECS Tuning’s new 2.0TSI catch can for the GTI MK6. I was interested in this catch can early on as I really liked how clean the hose routing was and the simple overall design. Prices for catch cans, in general, are a bit pricey so I waited for their holiday sale and was able to order it for ~$340 shipped which I considered a good deal.

The catch can kit arrives quickly and waited for a weekend evening to install it. (12-13-2015) ECS packaging was really good but based on a review directly on ECS store webpage; I fully inspected the kit as the reviewer reported missing items. All the parts were in my kit. However, upon opening up each bagged item I noticed that both hose line fittings had minor scratches at both ends. I initially thought they were damaged during shipping but after really inspecting the hose fittings you can clearing tell that the scratches were done during manufacturing. (see pics below) For me, this wasn’t a deal breaker as I’m not entering any car shows to show off my engine bay, however, for people that rightfully want their product as perfect as can be….this would be an issue. The irony of the scratches is that ECS instructions provide a great tip of masking off your wrench so that you don’t scratch the hose nuts. :laugh: The dip-stick feature is cool and allows simple check-ups.

Installation:
Installing this catch was fairly easy. Just follow the instructions that ECS provides on their website. Also, you can actually do some pre-work in your kitchen or garage prior to installation day. Things like oiling the O-ring on the can threads, dipstick, and pre-assembling one of the fitment U-bend for the hose.
The most difficult part, at least for me, was un-clipping the PCV hose on the “stage 2” portion of the air intake pipe (near the turbo). What a PITA! :bonk: I’m mean seriously…… how do you get both hands in there to press on all four corners of that “quick” release? I struggled with this and ended up using a couple of flat screwdrivers which resulted in my breaking the dam clip. It’s still usable down the road when I have to reinstall it get my rig smogged but I may have to add a zip-tie to prevent it from falling off.
The other interesting but simple part of the install was to need to file the PCV (front) outlet per Step 14 of the instructions. I placed a rag underneath and used a medium grit file until it the PCV outlet was flush and the cap pressed in enough for the clip to fit properly. All the other items (hoses and catch can brace) are very easy to follow and implement.

Overall results after a close to two months of use:
I began checking the catch can dipstick weekly and really didn’t see anything until almost a month later. I removed the dipstick and unscrewed the can and it was about half full. Now I’m not sure if anyone has stated this in other catch-can reviews but man….the watery/oil –like fluid and sludge stunk really bad. It smells like rotten fuel. I emptied the fluid in an old plastic container and I assume I’ll just toss it in my used oil can when I take it to Pep Boys. Then used a shop paper towel to clean the sludge at the bottom of the can and simply reassemble. Ensure you re-oil the O-rings on the can and dip stick.
It kind of makes me feel better knowing that this krap isn’t re-entering my turbo, IC pipes, FMIC, and manifold. The real performance difference is actually my boost gauge. It needle moves a lot smoother given that fact that blow-by oil on the manifold is not entering the boost gauge line via the PCV.
:thumbup:

Pros:
-Catches blow-by oil minimizing re-entry of the Turbo/IC system
-Smoother Boost gauge operation
-Easy installation
-Aesthetically appealing…at least by me
-Easy dip-stick access to check fluid level

Cons:
-Increased (smelly) maintenance
-Minor scratches at hose fittings (Maybe my kit was a fluke?)

Obviously catch cans are not for everyone. Especially those folks who don’t like to deal with increased/added maintenance. (This seems to me like I’ll be on a 3-4 week schedule to check and empty my catch-can.) Also the debate on whether catch-cans help reduce carbon build up will live on. I’m okay with the extra maintenance and I’m happy with my purchase. :)

Pic of scratches:

Installed:

Pic of the krap that comes out when you empty your can:

Thanks for the review. I've been in the same boat as well. All the other catch can kits all look really nice except for he hoses that run in front of the engine. Seems kind of a sloppy placement. I've heard so many pros and cons to catch cans that I doubted them for a while until recently. It actually might be my next purchase. I like the ECS design for the same reasons as you. Extra maintanence on hem isn't really that big of a deal. What once a month to empty it and then to maintain and clean a few times a year would just be to simple to pass up to added protection to the turbo and etc. Carbon buildup is inevitable but hell for that price to slow it way down on a direct injection vehicle would be ideal for down he road carbon build up costs. I've seen photos and it doesn't look pretty in our engines, plus the cost to do the shell cleaning. I just had my car at a shop to get exhaust installed and ended up wi a tune, but he guy has a GLI and was even looking into the ECS catch can. Still working well for you?

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the review. I've been in the same boat as well. All the other catch can kits all look really nice except for he hoses that run in front of the engine. Seems kind of a sloppy placement. I've heard so many pros and cons to catch cans that I doubted them for a while until recently. It actually might be my next purchase. I like the ECS design for the same reasons as you. Extra maintanence on hem isn't really that big of a deal. What once a month to empty it and then to maintain and clean a few times a year would just be to simple to pass up to added protection to the turbo and etc. Carbon buildup is inevitable but hell for that price to slow it way down on a direct injection vehicle would be ideal for down he road carbon build up costs. I've seen photos and it doesn't look pretty in our engines, plus the cost to do the shell cleaning. I just had my car at a shop to get exhaust installed and ended up wi a tune, but he guy has a GLI and was even looking into the ECS catch can. Still working well for you?

Click here http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94672 for HYDE16's accurate review on the ECS catch can.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Click here http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94672 for HYDE16's accurate review on the ECS catch can.

I was going to respond with this link as well. :clap: Hyde's point about the lines being too short for K04, big turbos, or different "stage 2" intake pipes is a valid one and must be taken into consideration. The fact of the matter is, this point was posted (although not as detailed) on ECS Tuning's website/review even months prior. I read it and took this into consideration before I bought it. I'm still running the OEM "Stage 2" intake pipe so this catch can fits perfectly. I might want to update my "Stage 2" intake pipe at some point and I have to completely agree with Hyde and some of the other members who've stated that ECS should consider giving buyers an option of "OEM" or "+2inch" lines.

Thanks for the review......... Still working well for you?

:thumbsup: No complaints at my end. Still working good!

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Tell me about it, I just spent another $100 on new lines and fittings because they're too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Tell me about it, I just spent another $100 on new lines and fittings because they're too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAME HERE! They where too short and I gave them all of this feedback in their product announcement thread but they basically said too bad. You bought longer lines from them? I need to do the same.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
SAME HERE! They where too short and I gave them all of this feedback in their product announcement thread but they basically said too bad. You bought longer lines from them? I need to do the same.

No, not from them. I bought a 5' roll of Vibrant Braided Nylon Flex hose, four hose end sockets and one 90° hose end because this new Cobb intake has the PCV inlet in the middle of the stage 2 pipe at a different angle. I didn't want that 180° end the kit came with.

I should be able to remove all the hose end connections and put them on the new sockets/hose. I hope I got the right size, -10AN.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for sharing this link. It just saved me from spending $400 on a catch can system hat will have issues from the get-go on installation. I have a Unitronic intake so looks like this won't be an option for me. I just find it ridiculous that ECS doesn't want to budge on improving the design further to broaden their sales.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Guess its a good thing that I made my own custom intake and kept the oem stage 2 pipe because this catch can works and looks great. I agree about the ECS logo placement though.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Here's mine. I'm really liking it so far, it's doing its job well. I've had it for a little over 1k miles so far and it's filled about 1/6 of the way. As others have said I had a bit of fitment issue with the USP rear intake pipe but I was able to get everything to fit properly. And as far as the logo, you can see what I did there. Only time will tell but a good product so far. When you see what the can collects, you'll be happy you are throwing that stuff out and not allowing it in your intake tract.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Don®

Ready to race!
The ECS System is by far the best you're going to get for the tsi. Vacuum assist is always better than atmosphere because it helps keep the crank case under vacuum. The most important part of it, it eliminates the intake manifold and this in turn will help keep the valves clean.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Don[emoji768 said:
;2413032]The ECS System is by far the best you're going to get for the tsi. Vacuum assist is always better than atmosphere because it helps keep the crank case under vacuum. The most important part of it, it eliminates the intake manifold and this in turn will help keep the valves clean.

Too bad it won't work on almost anything but the stock intake. I know it's the best in terms of how much stuff it picks up. But no good if it only works on oem intake piping.