GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Lava Exhaust Wrap

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
After working with PTP Turbo on the PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket, I picked up the PTP Turbo Lava Exhaust Wrap to continue the heat insulation and isolation from the downpipe flange back to the flex pipe. This is another form of engine bay temperature reduction with the chance of a very slight performance increase. Either way, I figured a quick review would be interesting.

Product Description:
The PTP Lava Heat Wrap is constructed from fragmentized lava rock that is extruded into the fibers to create a heat wrap that will give you strength and performance you expect from an exhaust header wrap. When properly installed, the proprietary weave in our heat wrap will allow an even dissipation of heat so that it will not over insulate your pipings or create any hot spots. The PTP Lava Heat Wrap promotes increased flow and keeps down underhood temperatures for improved performance and reduced vibration breakdown. PTP's Lava Heat Wrap is chemical and oil resistant that will not shrink or loose flexibility under extreme conditions. Lava Heat Wrap is very easy to install and tightens down onto pipings without needing to be wet.

Lava Heat Wrap Tolerance:
Direct Contact Use Limit: 1800°F / 982°C
Max Contact Use Limit: 2500°F / 1371°C

Installation:
I ordered the 25ft Long x 2in Wide Lava Exhaust Wrap with two stainless steel locking ties / zip ties. When wrapping my downpipe, I realized how little of the Lava Exhaust Wrap I needed to wrap from the flange back to the flex pipe. After talking to PTP Turbo, they said there was no real reason to wrap the flex pipe or beyond the flex pipe. Here are the installation photos.

Overall Feedback:
Many people may not see the point of wrapping the downpipe or other exhaust components but my goal was to pair this with my PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket so the radiated heat will be substantially reduced leading to lower under hood temperatures and less heat absorption by nearby parts and surfaces. The overall goal is to have the turbo operate more efficiently and as incremental as the Lava Exhaust Wrap may be, I feel it completes the entire system.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Nice! Love your writeups man!

MooreBoost

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read that these wraps can contribute to corrosion by absorbing moisture.

Any concerns about that?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I've read that these wraps can contribute to corrosion by absorbing moisture.

Any concerns about that?

There are if your downpipe and/or downpipe flanges are not higher quality stainless steel. I have brushed T304 Stainless Steel.

Put that wrap on your intake pipe!

and cover up that gorgeous gold DEI tape? no way.... :)

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Put that wrap on your intake pipe!

Wrong application. For an intake you would want something to reflect the heat (like the Gold DEI Tape) not absorb it and contain it like this wrap would.

I have my downpipe wrapped, flexpipe and all. I used a different product but I think it makes a difference. And if it doesn't well then it at least looks cool LOL.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wrong application. For an intake you would want something to reflect the heat (like the Gold DEI Tape) not absorb it and contain it like this wrap would.

I have my downpipe wrapped, flexpipe and all. I used a different product but I think it makes a difference. And if it doesn't well then it at least looks cool LOL.

An insulator is an insulator. Application is a marketing exercise. The only way it would "trap" heat inside the intake is if the heat were coming from inside the intake system itself. This wrap would absolutely do a great job of reducing intake temps.

The other things to consider are the level of radiated heat from the turbo vs convected heat. Since the heat shield is blocking line of sight with the turbo, you're looking at radiated heat from the heat shield and convected heat from the heat shield and turbo reaching the intake pipe. It'd be most effective to put a non-metallic insulative material on the intake and polish the heat shield to minimize its emissivity.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
An insulator is an insulator. Application is a marketing exercise. The only way it would "trap" heat inside the intake is if the heat were coming from inside the intake system itself. This wrap would absolutely do a great job of reducing intake temps.

The other things to consider are the level of radiated heat from the turbo vs convected heat. Since the heat shield is blocking line of sight with the turbo, you're looking at radiated heat from the heat shield and convected heat from the heat shield and turbo reaching the intake pipe. It'd be most effective to put a non-metallic insulative material on the intake and polish the heat shield to minimize its emissivity.

Never thought of it this way, thanks for the different perspective on things. I recently tried to wrap my intake with the DEI Cool Cover wrap and it was a nightmare to work with. The product is total junk. Now I might just end up looking into wrapping it using this type of heat wrap. :w00t:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Do you think the DEI tape would sit over the top of the wrap okay? That would be a perfect solution.

Getting nice and OT in here.

It would but then the tape would look all crinkled/crappy. I prefer smooth cuts of the DEI tape laid over the intake pipe without any creases or air pockets which could trap air/heat.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
I actually had my intake pipe wrapped with DEI gold tape at first then switched to the lava wrap. I found they did the job just the same and the lava wrap actually did it a bit better.

Don't have actually numbers to prove it but just personal findings.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Never thought of it this way, thanks for the different perspective on things. I recently tried to wrap my intake with the DEI Cool Cover wrap and it was a nightmare to work with. The product is total junk. Now I might just end up looking into wrapping it using this type of heat wrap. :w00t:

:thumbsup:

It would but then the tape would look all crinkled/crappy. I prefer smooth cuts of the DEI tape laid over the intake pipe without any creases or air pockets which could trap air/heat.

I can dream... Wonder if they make a spray paint that does/looks like the same thing?

butchered by autocorrecr

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion

the tape actually looks pretty good over the intake pipes.