GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quietest 3" exhaust

Bino

Go Kart Champion
FYI I didn't mean that as an absolute. Normally that's what you'll get if you want a super quiet 3" setup. APRs is super loud at WOT but great off throttle due to their straight through resonance canceling mufflers.

I have a APR TBE and I love it. It screams when your WOT and almost as quite as stock whencruzing around. But there alittle $$$$.$$

pchou

I know it's an old thread but, AWE switchpath 3" for the golf R should be quiet as well. Can activate valve to limit sound output. Heard this system on TTRS and sounded amazing. I emailed awe and no plan for adaptation for Gti is planned. :(

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Tried both 3" 200-cell catted/resonated SPM and AWE 2.5" 400-cell catted/resonated. Both mated to SPM 3" street cat back.

Total rough numbers here but at cruising they're very similar. AWE maybe 5-10% less noise. Under load or WOT, AWE is 30% less noisy overall. Less noise under load/WOT is what I was looking for so I've stuck with the AWE. Also AWE has added benefit of more likely to not trigger CEL.

I made a video of my full SPM street TBE setup. Used an external mic but even still, online videos only tell you so much. You need to head to a meet and start checking them out in person. The video does sound very similar to how my car sounds though:

Performance wise the difference is negligible to the butt dyno. Real dyno #'s who knows, I never had time or funds to dyno test each setup. I daily drive my stage 2+ GTI so either way it has plenty of power to get moving, break tires loose, etc.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
I have the AWE Down Pipe, & the Milltek Race Cat Back on the GTI.
Love it!