GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Damn that's crazy, I barely pull that on stage 2. What kind of dyno did you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't ask. Maybe dynojet but I can't say for sure. It was at z fever in tampa.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
oh haha it says dynojet software, so I assume it was dynojet

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I understand I need an upgraded clutch. I'm wondering what the transmission can handle. Not the clutch.

I'm not a manual guy by any means but if you wanted to be safe for big power my assumption would be steel shift forks and a quality gear oil. I don't see anything other than clutch ever really come up when people are adding power. Some people swap gearing also but it's for optimized shift points based on the new power curve, not due to a weakness in the original gears.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Noticing a bit of an exhaust smell in the cabin when idling for more than a min or so. I'm catted and I have a resonator, windows are up :) logs don't show running rich and I don't hear an exhaust leak. Anyone else experience this ever? I'll probably re-torque exhaust v-bands but figured I'd see if anyone else experiences this also.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Since you have just installed a new exhaust it could just be the new parts baking in for lack of a better word. Oil & such burning off makes a stink. If it doesn't go away revisit your install & make sure it's not leaking.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Since you have just installed a new exhaust it could just be the new parts baking in for lack of a better word. Oil & such burning off makes a stink. If it doesn't go away revisit your install & make sure it's not leaking.

Thanks for the reply[emoji106] exhaust has been on for about 2 years. I should have stayed that.

Random

I'm not a manual guy by any means but if you wanted to be safe for big power my assumption would be steel shift forks and a quality gear oil. I don't see anything other than clutch ever really come up when people are adding power. Some people swap gearing also but it's for optimized shift points based on the new power curve, not due to a weakness in the original gears.

Cool thanks for the info.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Why does every oil change have to be so expensive? It all started after I put my clutch in. I had a new clutch put in, and did an oil change at the same time. The next time I needed an oil change my intake manifold broke. Then the next oil change I had them install new motor mounts and a fluidampr at the same time. Now for the next oil change I need to do it's time for tires at the same time.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Why does every oil change have to be so expensive? It all started after I put my clutch in. I had a new clutch put in, and did an oil change at the same time. The next time I needed an oil change my intake manifold broke. Then the next oil change I had them install new motor mounts and a fluidampr at the same time. Now for the next oil change I need to do it's time for tires at the same time.
How long between oil changes? Even at 10k intervals that's a lot of things happening. Jeeze.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
How long between oil changes? Even at 10k intervals that's a lot of things happening. Jeeze.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I do it about every 6k. It's just kinda the way things have lined up.

I'm gonna guess for the oil change after my next I'll probably have pads, rotors, and lines installed at the same time lol

lyonsroar

GTI newb...
So when I turn the interior heat dial in my 2012 GTI all the way to full hot I hear a relay click in the panel to the left of the steering wheel. This also increases my idle speed.

What is this relay that's clicking?

It was suggested that I had a cold weather car and this was activating an aux electric heater for use before the engine is warm but I can't find any mention of this except in TDI's, which mine is not.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.