GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Those aren't lug nuts. Those are caps on top of your lug nuts. Just pull them out. Your dealer also sounds pretty dumb.

lyonsroar

GTI newb...
Ya perk of living in Utah the dealers don't know anything and I can't get them off

Bend a paperclip into a hook, stick it in the middle hole, pull.

Definitely not super difficult.

You probably have a tool in the boot that looks like a loop of wire with a hook also...

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm really amazed your dealer didn't have an answer for you. Glad you managed to get those little buggers off.

st1ckyGTI

Ready to race!
How long do stock shocks last? How can I tell if the shock(s) are going bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So when I turn the interior heat dial in my 2012 GTI all the way to full hot I hear a relay click in the panel to the left of the steering wheel. This also increases my idle speed.

What is this relay that's clicking?

It was suggested that I had a cold weather car and this was activating an aux electric heater for use before the engine is warm but I can't find any mention of this except in TDI's, which mine is not.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

the panel to the left of the steering wheel, as in your fuse box?

entirely possible that you have an aux heater but not entirely likely. My best guess is that your heat is being put on max, and the electrical load is sending a feedback loop to the ECU to increase the RPMs so your alternator can do its job.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
How long do stock shocks last? How can I tell if the shock(s) are going bad?

This can vary depending on how you drive and the kinds of terrain you drive on.

you can tell if your shock has gone bad a few different ways. Sometimes when the spring/shock breaks (corrosion, or defect) it will kind of sound like a muffled gunshot. You may not be around to hear that though.

Another, much easier way to tell is how the car rides. loose and bouncy = bad shock. you can test this pretty easily yourself. on each wheel, push the car down and let it bounce back up. if it snaps right back into place, the spring is good. if it continues to bounce a bit before it settles out, that means the spring is bad.

st1ckyGTI

Ready to race!
Cool, thanks. With a 110k on the OEM shocks (but vwr springs since 40k) I notices the ride rough up a bit more then usually so this is what prompted the question

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I have H&R SS what would you pair them up with when its time to replace shock/struts

Well I'm not a suspension expert by any means but for comfort I've read that the koni strt is great and the koni yellows are a good choice for sportier feel. Those with experience feel free to chime in and let us know your opinions.