GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm trying to decide if I should buy...

gliitch

Ready to race!
I think the bigger picture here is the price. Why get yourself into so much debt at 17? I know you probably just got a decent job, a little money, and now want to blow it but I'll tell you what you have to look to your future. Buy a mk4 golf for a few thousand and have some money left over to mod it, build some credit doing so and save for a house. And your retirement.

Also, with the one you posted, I'm willing to bet it's a salvaged title and I would stay away from it. If it seems to good to be true.......

Jaber

Modero
I think the bigger picture here is the price. Why get yourself into so much debt at 17? I know you probably just got a decent job, a little money, and now want to blow it but I'll tell you what you have to look to your future. Buy a mk4 golf for a few thousand and have some money left over to mod it, build some credit doing so and save for a house. And your retirement.

Also, with the one you posted, I'm willing to bet it's a salvaged title and I would stay away from it. If it seems to good to be true.......

MK4 will make him a career as well, into automobile tech :laugh:

:thumbup:

skitheeast

Passed Driver's Ed

That's very possible I was simply asking if it was an incredible deal assuming there are no issues with the car. If there are major problems I certainly won't buy it.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
Run away from the mk6 lol

skitheeast

Passed Driver's Ed
On a separate note, if I go ahead and hold off on the GTI until I'm older... What cars do you guys know of/own that are in my range but still have a little something extra not found in a basic car. I've looked at Outbacks simply because of the AWD (I like to ski but it's not that big of a factor for me) but one thing I really don't wanna budge on is standard vs automatic. I love driving a manual and I couldn't find too many in the Outback. So basically I'd like to know what you guys think are good, somewhat fun, cars easily found as manuals.

Last edited:

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm 40 and I can not drive my GTI anywhere near the speed limit, if I had it at 17 I would have kept my license for 15min. Instead I had an 81 Rabbit diesel, Probably my favorite car I've ever owned. So I'd suggest a golf/jetta TDI, still fun, practical and great MPG's.

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
I'll have to agree with many here. Although this is a great car it really wouldn't be a great first car. Not only could it get expensive to service it really does urge you to speed. Constantly. On my way back from my evening class I hit 115 on a 55...after a long day at work it was a damn rush but also really stupid. This is the kind of things this car can/will make you do. It kinda reminds me of the MK5 Fast commercials...

Also I don't want to sound like a grandpa but recently seeing a younger financially inexperienced car buyer make a huge blunder I'd hate to see you do the same. Do you work at least part time atm? Reason I ask is because you should be able to at least have money to finance your own insurance and gas. IF your parents are willing to help you with the payments on this first car thats great. But always buy a car with the mindset that the vehicle is YOUR responsibility and should be prepared to reach into your own pocket for any fix/issue that comes up.

That said if you do go check it out please check the title or at least the vehicle history. I ran into many sub 12K GTIs before I found mine that were salvage/rebuilt vehicles. Big discount and they looked mint...but not worth the headaches with insurance or if something broke later. Half of the sellers failed to disclose this information even after contacting them for a test drive. Thankfully my mother in law works with auto finance and she has access to a bit more info than my google skills can find.

To sum it up. It's up to you if you think you can handle it $ wise or brains wise. Just don't rush into it. Oh and insurance is actually cheaper than my wife's Nissan Rogue.

cobie56

Ready to race!
GTI will be more expensive to insure than other cars like the jetta or golf. Any car can be too much car for an inexperienced driver, but it's only 200hp so I don't think so. I'd argue it's be even safer because it has better haning an brakes than cars like a jetta. I wouldn't get on in an accident and there's probably plenty available used ones out there. That does seem to be a good price though.

I realise the OP is 17 and not my age (older lol) but when i switched from a ford focus to my gti my insurance went DOWN 50$ every six months... i think his rates will depend on his state, driving record, and ins. co.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
If you're on your parents insurance you should be fine insurance wise if not expect to pay 150+!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
yes it is too much of a car for 17. why not get a mazda 3 hatch or a new regular golf 1.8t, you can easily do a tune that can bring gti numbers, etc.

Also i got my gti when i was 21 and i'm glad i did it at that age. Because the car before that took hits and dings, it was almost unavoidable when i went to parties and so on, so that would be really upsetting about the car you really want. I also had a friend that drove a mk4 gti and he totaled it after we graduated high school and he got really upset about that.

Last edited:

VicerRocks

Passed Driver's Ed
just to chime in.....Any car for a 17yr old is TOO MUCH CAR. If you like the GTI buy the GTI, if you are thinking about insurance rates, you know damn well you cant afford it, so stick with something practical....but you are 17 and practical doesnt really exist in your vocab. So my advice to you from a 32yr old father of 2....do what your heart desires, if your parents are on board, y not? just know that owning any car is a huge responsibility, and hopefully you can appreciate that you will be buying an awesome car. Just be safe, bc you are not the only one on the road!

Rascal

Ready to race!
"Too much car" meant a lot more when torque steer was an issue. It really isn't in the GTI. These cars are NOT that fast people...

Torque steer? No, this car isn't "fast" by today's standards (untuned) in the quarter mile or by many definitions; however, like most German cars this car begs to be driven hard. I've owned a number of them. My wife's sedan is nearly as fast but I can tell you it does not tempt me to drive hard. That is what is dangerous to a 17 year old driver.