GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is It Okay to Remove the Hood Insulation?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
In my previous experience with a vw polo that what happened when i removed the insulation. The Clear coat took a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who is to say that would not have happened anyway?

Sauce118

Ready to race!
I think ModShack posted a while back that it lowers engine bay temperatures, but I don't know if anybody has shown if this has lowered engine or intake temperatures.

Without testing I can only speculate, but given that the area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area, air enters the engine bay at that spot if you remove the cowl strip which should lower ambient air temperatures around the turbo as cool air comes in and exits beneath the car.

Allowing air to enter the engine bay in a spot that's not through the cooling stack I believe that you're probably not doing your radiator and intercooler any favors. But again, only speculating based my understanding of how air passes through/around most cars.

As far as adverse effect to aerodynamics..... it's probably not much, but the goal is to keep as much air from going under the car as possible because this causes lift. How much lift in this case? I have no idea, probably not much, but it's probably a tiny (immeasurable?) step in the wrong direction. Surely not enough to fuss over if you like the extra sound.

WOW... I never thought of that.. that makes sense

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Agree, that is what I am purchasing to go along with new motor and bigger turbo.

yea but for $350!?!?!?!?!? holy cow! I can think of much better things to spend that much on, and Ive already done a lot to my car. It does look pretty legit though I might add..

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
yea but for $350!?!?!?!?!? holy cow! I can think of much better things to spend that much on, and Ive already done a lot to my car. It does look pretty legit though I might add..

When u mod German cars $350 is chump change.

Yes it's a lot compared to other non car things.

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this to my Mk5 to amplify the engine sound, that winter it kept intermittently throwing a code that the thermostat was failing(don't remember the exact code). When I brought it to the dealer, they checked it out, thermostat was fine. They chalked it up to the lack of insulation in the brutally cold winters we have in the northeast screwing with the engine bay temps.

Just a heads up, if you do throw a code like that, that may be the reason.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I did this to my Mk5 to amplify the engine sound, that winter it kept intermittently throwing a code that the thermostat was failing(don't remember the exact code). When I brought it to the dealer, they checked it out, thermostat was fine. They chalked it up to the lack of insulation in the brutally cold winters we have in the northeast screwing with the engine bay temps.

Just a heads up, if you do throw a code like that, that may be the reason.

mk6 thermostat is up front, not under the hood's insulated portion.

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
mk6 thermostat is up front, not under the hood's insulated portion.

Gotcha. My MK5 had the FSI engine. Guess the TSI is different; maybe I'll pull mine off as well if that's the case.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have noticed the hood getting warmer and hence with overtime the clear coat got baked. They put the insulation in cars for a reason.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-a-hood-insulator-in-cars

yes, to reduce the noise.

engines want to be cooler. removing insulation aids in cooling and makes engine run better. You're incorrect in that on a mk6 the clear coat will bake off - i have not yet seen this without chipped paint being a lead-in to the situation on the hood.

Pooley

Ready to race!
My underhood insulation wasn't holding properly along the back edge so I removed it last year. Haven't seen one issue with the paint since removal. It's only there for noise, especially with the ticking that direct injection engines make.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
I've been debating this for so long . 2 clips are missing . And it's actually kind of leaning on my maf sensor . It's making and indent mark on the insulation. So I know it's touching . It's Soooo annoying