GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger Window Squealing (any insight appreciated)

flygti98

I made this post on the Reddit with no luck so far (video)

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/co...g_when_going_up_with/?st=JASCG7OK&sh=c9952df4

What the heck is wrong with my window? Shouldn’t 20 year old cars be doing this, not cars that are only practically a few years old? I’ve cleaned, vacuumed the seals, lubricated the seals and have had no luck. I rolled my windows up next to a car next to me and they looked over as it sounded like an animal is being brutally murdered when my windows go up. The inside and outside of the window are clean. Even tried rain x and wax. It sounds like it’s coming from the center of the window and not the sides. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to try next?

I’m also just out of warranty. Would the dealer charge me hundreds to fix this? I’m assuming the entire window motor or the seals need to be replaced. I’m out of warranty about 6 months now. Should I remove my door panel or something and attempt to fix it myself? Is there a TSB where they’d fix this for free because it’s a common problem from what I’ve seen.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Sauce118

Ready to race!
both of mine do the same thing.. Never got them to stop. I never really tried though. Sometimes it worse than others. LMK if you find a remedy

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
If the glass is truly clean, and sounds like you did, attack the window track with the window all the way down. Clean it up with a microfiber and something for rubber, back to black or maybe even gummy pflege? Mine squeaked a little after baking out in the sun too much one summer.

Treated window tracks and made sure window is clean and all is well for years now.

Good luck!

flygti98

If the glass is truly clean, and sounds like you did, attack the window track with the window all the way down. Clean it up with a microfiber and something for rubber, back to black or maybe even gummy pflege? Mine squeaked a little after baking out in the sun too much one summer.

Treated window tracks and made sure window is clean and all is well for years now.

Good luck!

Scrubbed the window tracks as deep in as I could. Even used cue tips with first alcohol then silicone lube

flygti98

Had another go this time that the inside and outside of the window were covered in silicone by the time I rolled it back up. Slick as ice and it still squeaks. Had to clean it off with window cleaner after it dried a bit. Whatever is making the sound has to be behind the door plastic. I wonder how much VW is going to charge to fix this

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I had that noise driver side... the regulator was failinf. No amount of cleaning the rubber or squirt lube worked. Mind you i did not take off the panel

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I had to pay for the repair myself as I was long out of warranty

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Just pull the door card and do it yourself. Not that bad after you figure out where all the clips are. And don't break the door handle (it has a plastic piece that snaps easily where the cable attaches).

Not sure how much the regulator is, but would be easy enough to swap I bet.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
As long as you carefully drill out the rivets and have the tools to put new rivets in.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
As long as you carefully drill out the rivets and have the tools to put new rivets in.

Annnnd that's why I haven't done anything about mine yet. Fuck that mess.

flygti98

I had to pay for the repair myself as I was long out of warranty

Mind telling me what I should expect to pay? What a piece of shit. It goes out on almost every VW yet I’m going to have to pay for it since I’m a few months out of warranty.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Well you may wanna try an independent as they could get a regulator for a better price and lower per hour shop rate.

I paid around $675 CAD as i took it to the dealer... bigger mistake but i wanted it done that day versus waiting.

flygti98

Well you may wanna try an independent as they could get a regulator for a better price and lower per hour shop rate.

I paid around $675 CAD as i took it to the dealer... bigger mistake but i wanted it done that day versus waiting.

675 to replace a defective part where it’s their fault that it’s broken? Holy shit. Guess I’m going to have a squeaky window forever as well. I have the exact same problem.

zrickety

The Fixer
Doesn't the door skin just unbolt and give you access to everything?? Might want to try that before touching the interior.