GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clean your intake filters- If you haven't yet (APR/P-FLO)

Start cleaning your intakes gentlemen, If you haven't.

Guide: 20,000 kms after last cleaning or 1st install + = The filter should be cleaned.

I will be picking up the K&N filter cleaning kit, and probably will be cleaning this weekend. Many have said, its filthy before you clean it, and afterwards expected performance should be back.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm

The K&N cleaning kit actually works great for these filters just the
only thing when re-oiling the filter just give the filter a light coat
and then let it sit and dry for about an hour or so before re installing
it in the vehicle.

This is the one you want. You probably have it at your local auto shops.

Instructions :
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I thought they were supposed to be good for 30,000-50,000 miles.

Their website does state a 'normal' cleaning only needed every 50k or so......

That said, this VASTLY differs with your driving enviroment, as well as your intended goal for it.

For optimum performance and protection. The air filter is there to stop dirt from entering your engine. A dirty filter not only chokes the engine but it will let dirt enter the engine as it is full and gets forced through the material into the engine. Once dirt gets in your engine it can be suspended in the oil but A) it can still cause damage and B) as with the filter, when the oil is full of dirt it can not be suspended anymore. Run your air filter 50k and change your oil every 10k and a long, strong life your engine will not have.

Golf Wang

Ready to race!
Thanks for the Reminder!

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I clean my Carbonio every 10,000km. It's usually pretty filthy. I put a K&N filter wrap on it last time so I will have to see if it's any cleaner this time around.

MK6Golf2.5

Passed Driver's Ed
I clean my Carbonio every 10,000km. It's usually pretty filthy. I put a K&N filter wrap on it last time so I will have to see if it's any cleaner this time around.

I've got one too, there called "prechargers". You can clean them instead of the intake too. Let me know how it holds up!

Felix1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've heard from a few people that using the filter oil will damage your MAF sensor. Anyone on here that can back that up? Or is it not true? I've been cleaning mine every 8K with water and dawn. No problems yet. At 8K it's looking pretty dirty..

Merkle

Banned
I've heard from a few people that using the filter oil will damage your MAF sensor. Anyone on here that can back that up? Or is it not true? I've been cleaning mine every 8K with water and dawn. No problems yet. At 8K it's looking pretty dirty..

I use K&N filters on all my vehicles, never have had an issue after cleaning them. Don't saturate them in oil and you're fine, apply the oil like a coat of paint, more coats of a light spray is the way to go. Wipe off all excess, install and have at it!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Depending on the type of filter the oil is a crucial element for the filter to actually work