GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally wrapped up the tow wiring this weekend. Took some trial and error to figure out the PWM and also make sure the wire taps were solid, but it's working now!

Now I just need to do a run up Orlando and pick up my trailer. The plan is to bring it down then modify it to be lighter and more modular for either transporting bikes or the occasional couch/big item.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Not something I necessarily did to my car, but I def saved my moms Eos DSG for a near certain self destruction this past weekend. I do pretty much all the maintenance work on her Eos since it has the same engine as my mk6 gti. She's pretty aware now from me telling her a million times that these cars require special fluids etc.
So she took her car to a generic tire and auto place last weekend for an inspection, which I was fine with as long as they were just doing the inspection and nothing else.
She texts me while there and said they told her she needs a "transmission flush" as well as new spark plugs/etc.
My car is manual, but im well aware of the importance of the 40k DSG change that I knew she would need soon since she was at about 35k miles, as well as the general cost of just the fluids/filter alone.
They quoted her a price of $170 for the flush.... I immediately told her to not let them even touch her car and leave immediately.
It scares me to think what their "transmission flush" entailed..
So yeah I'm certain I just saved my moms DSG from grenading itself in short order.
And to make it even more laughable, they quoted her $200 to change the spark plugs..[emoji848][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
As for my gti, I finally had the time to install the TOP this past weekend. Install was easy and the increase in throttle response is noticeable.
I also finally stopped being lazy and made a burned copy of the Rns-510 v11 map update. Update went smooth, minus it takes forever, and I finally have the updated maps on my 510.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
how the hell is it cheaper to do a transmission flush vs. changing spark plugs. Clear signs to stay away.

Haha exactly... and the fact that buying the CORRECT fluid and filter alone cost over $100 (I paid $118 for oem fluid and filter on amazon). There's no way any shop would only charge a $50-70 markup to do it.

That's what scares me to think what they would have put in her car..
And yeah a higher price quote just for spark plugs made the whole thing even more laughable

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Not something I necessarily did to my car, but I def saved my moms Eos DSG for a near certain self destruction this past weekend. I do pretty much all the maintenance work on her Eos since it has the same engine as my mk6 gti. She's pretty aware now from me telling her a million times that these cars require special fluids etc.
So she took her car to a generic tire and auto place last weekend for an inspection, which I was fine with as long as they were just doing the inspection and nothing else.
She texts me while there and said they told her she needs a "transmission flush" as well as new spark plugs/etc.
My car is manual, but im well aware of the importance of the 40k DSG change that I knew she would need soon since she was at about 35k miles, as well as the general cost of just the fluids/filter alone.
They quoted her a price of $170 for the flush.... I immediately told her to not let them even touch her car and leave immediately.
So yeah I'm certain I just saved my moms DSG from grenading itself in short order.
And to make it even more laughable, they quoted her $200 to change the spark plugs..[emoji848][emoji849]

Excellent move bro! More power to you!

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Excellent move bro! More power to you!

Yeah anyone with a DSG I highly recommend just doing the DSG change themselves. It really isnt much harder than a basic oil change, and thats the first time I ever attempted it.
Bought 5 liters of OEM DSG Fluid and oem filter off amazon for $118.
Bought new spark plugs for $28
And even bought the DSG filler tool for $29, whick the filler tool Ill now be able to use again for her 80k DSG change, so next change will just cost around $120 for the fluids/filter.

Its really easy and I swapped the spark plugs while waiting refilling the fluid since it takes awhile.

Def worth doing it yourself, and a lot cheaper than the dealers quoted price of $490.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

You did well to get her out of that place.:thumbsup: In the future don't let her take her car into such places. The free inspection is just so they can hook her wallet & remove money. She is OK for a while on the DSG flush, it's 40,000 miles.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
As for my gti, I finally had the time to install the TOP this past weekend. Install was easy and the increase in throttle response is noticeable.
I also finally stopped being lazy and made a burned copy of the Rns-510 v11 map update. Update went smooth, minus it takes forever, and I finally have the updated maps on my 510.

could you uhhhhh assist me in obtaining said RNS510 update for maps? asking for a friend.

DELETE

Autocross Champion

Pancake pipe is lame. Looks hot!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You did well to get her out of that place.:thumbsup: In the future don't let her take her car into such places. The free inspection is just so they can hook her wallet & remove money. She is OK for a while on the DSG flush, it's 40,000 miles.

This. I bring my jeep to one of these places for oil changes (until i put my fumoto valve on next time i need oil) and they remind me i need to service basically everything on it because it gets abused. and is 16 years old. and is on its second motor.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Threw the winter wheels on, installed the ROKBLOKZ flaps and painted the rear hatch spoiler which I’ll be throwing on later.

#rallylife

personally i am not a fan of the design of any of the flaps available, oem or aftermarket. that being said, if you like it, you do you man.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
#rallylife

personally i am not a fan of the design of any of the flaps available, oem or aftermarket. that being said, if you like it, you do you man.

Hahahahaha, they look ok. I liked the OEM flaps but these are cool too. Who knows maybe there will be an aftermarket version down the road.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Pancake pipe is lame. Looks hot!

Yeah I'm happy with it. I actually got it for free, from a member on this forum that bought my set of winter wheels a few weeks ago.

We were just talking about our cars and he was telling me how he went ko4, then out of no where asked me if I had a TOP yet and asked me if I wanted the one he had sitting in his trunk since he couldnt use it anymore since he went ko4.
So should out to gerg_mk6 for being an all around awesome dude and fellow enthusiast.
It doesnt provide a major difference by itself, but throttle response is def better and Im sure once I add the intercooler soon the difference will be even more noticeable.
I probably wouldnt have been thrilled with the performance increase if I had to pay for it, but for free, Im certainly not complaining..

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
could you uhhhhh assist me in obtaining said RNS510 update for maps? asking for a friend.

Haha shoot me a PM.

Its a tad complicated if you arn't much of a computer person (I'm an IT Admin/Analyst) but its really not that hard.

Basically you just extract the files from each group (about a gig each, 7 total) then extract the .mds/.iso files and use a program to burn. The .mds will automatically pull the .iso's from each gig file to create the burned disk.
It does require a Dual-Layer DVD-R(I highly recommend using a Verbatim DVD+R DL) since the total size is about 7.5gb, and should be burned at x2 speed to minimize potential for the burn to corrupt, but I had no issues and it burned successfully first try.