GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch unlocks but won't open

Brad09

Ready to race!
'11 Hatch won't open after unlocking. You can hear it make the sound but it won't budge. Not interested in opening it from the inside, I need to figure out how to fix this. Haven't messed with the electrical system in any way aside from replacing the front driver door. But that was months ago with no issues. Any suggestions?

*EDIT* - Also, I have the car setup to unlock all the doors when removing the key and a few days ago the driver rear door wouldn't open. However, the next day it started working. Not sure if that's related to the problem I'm having with the hatch.

Last edited:

Paytrose

Ready to race!
I have a similar issue when opening my hatch. I'll hear it unlock when I press in the VW button, but I think the latch gets caught. So it usually takes two tries to open. I've also heard from others that the seal on the trunk seem to stick making it difficult to open. But your issue sounds like it doesn't open at all, so that's different.

Brad09

Ready to race!
Well this morning it decided to work again. But I still need to figure out why this is happening? Anyone else have this happen?

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Are you guys referring to having the hatch open by pressing the middle button? Because that doesn't work unless you buy the hatch pop kit

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
I had the issue where mine would only open with the fob, but not with the VW logo. My fix was to remove my euroswitch for a stock foglight switch out of a GTI (I have a 2.5 and added fogs). Makes little sense, I know, but it fixed it.

Brad09

Ready to race!
Are you guys referring to having the hatch open by pressing the middle button? Because that doesn't work unless you buy the hatch pop kit
No, I'm saying after unlocking the doors from either removing the key from the ignition or by using the fob, my hatch would not open using the VW emblem on the back. It made the mechanical sound when I pulled up on the emblem, but just wouldn't open.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Same thing happened in my mk4, lock assembly is toast. Went straight hood and pulled the tailgate cover off and opened it manually from the inside for a year because I was to lazy to install a new one. Haha looked like an idiot crawling over the back seat constantly, so I hooked a string to it I could pull to pop it.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
What the hell is up with this forum?? I swear every single time someone makes a post about a GTI problem I END UP HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!! First it was the water pump. Then it was the door freezing issue during winter. And now this...

So yeah, my rear hatch is also jammed shut now. Just happened today while doing some evening grocery shopping. It makes a mechanical whiney noise when I flip the emblem to open it, but the latch itself won't let go like it's supposed to! So I had to drive home with my MFI showing me that my hatch was open (when it wasn't). Really annoying.

Thankfully Pennsylvania has a ton of potholes on its roads. So I decide to drive into a couple of them to get the hatch to unjam. I get home and park the car and try again... SUCCESS!! The hatch finally opens again. Not the best solution but I definitely plan on having the dealership look at this POS hatch lock issue....

zrickety

The Fixer
There is a manual override inside the hatch.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Took mine to the dealership this morning and they said they couldn't do anything unless I could duplicate the problem and show them. Because I guess technically it wouldn't throw up any error codes, since the car doesn't even think anything is stuck. Anyway I'm just hoping it happens again in the next 10k miles (under my factory warranty period).

If anyone can figure out exactly why it happens please post the results.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Omigosh, I should have sought out this thread before starting one on a similar (exact same?) issue! My rear hatch door gets stuck every now and then when I try to open it with the key fob, and the interior unlocking button doesn't seem to open it anymore. I'm hoping that the necessary repair wouldn't be too expensive, and judging from teh cheap price for the tailgate locking mechanism, I assume it won't be. But now I may have to wait six moth to get it fixed ,thanks to the damn pandemic that has swooped down on us since this thread was started.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Omigosh, I should have sought out this thread before staring one on a similar (exact same?) issue! My rear hatch door gets stuck every now and then when I try to open it with the key fob, and the interior unlocking button doesn't seem to open it anymore. I'm hoping that the necessary repair wouldn't be too expensive, and judging from teh cheap price for the tailgate locking mechanism, I assume it won't be. But now I may have to wait six moth to get it fixed ,thanks to the damn pandemic that has swooped down on us since this thread was started.

Why would you have to wait six months?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
COVID. My mother is afraid I'd catch it if I tried to get it fixed over the winter.
It could be a cool DIY since we all have more time. Why not try your self?