GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone ever go from a gti to a golf?

markus037

Ready to race!
thinking about downgrading since i dont plan on modifying my car anytime soon and most of my commute is around town city driving. do the 2.5s have any major issues?

wohv

Ready to race!
I'm not 100% sure on the major issues on the 2.5 but I would suggest looking into the depreciation on the GTI before making the decision to switch.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
thinking about downgrading since i dont plan on modifying my car anytime soon and most of my commute is around town city driving. do the 2.5s have any major issues?
We don't have a GTI but have a '09 Tiguan (2.0TSi) and '10 Golf. The 2.5 has been nothing short of perfect, except for a leaky rad which I changed out a few months ago along with the original plugs and coils.

The milage is good on the highway but not in stop and go city driving, there is no way a 5 cylinder can match 4 cylinders in this respect.

BlueRockMagnet

The 2.5 has been nothing short of perfect,

Agreed.

Realistically mpg is around 20-22 in heavy street traffic.

I bought mine used. 46k miles on the odometer and so far I've had one light bulb go out and the trunk lock latch (Part # 8K0 827 505 A :thumbsup:).

In the long run the 2.5 will be less $$$ than the GTI. No timing belts, no DSG services, cheaper tires, cheaper insurance. etc

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed.

Realistically mpg is around 20-22 in heavy street traffic.

I bought mine used. 46k miles on the odometer and so far I've had one light bulb go out and the trunk lock latch (Part # 8K0 827 505 A :thumbsup:).

In the long run the 2.5 will be less $$$ than the GTI. No timing belts, no DSG services, cheaper tires, cheaper insurance. etc
... from personal experience let me add as well, no intake valve decarboning, no multiple water pump replacements, no intake manifold replacements, no rear main seal (RMS)replacements after the PCV fails, no pre mature failed timing chain tensioner.

cobie56

Ready to race!
Interesting u should post this question as i have been thinking of that for my next purchase. Tho it prob doesn't make too much economic sense for me as either a gti or a golf sel, the two i would consider, are quite close in price , and so would prob stay with a gti

markus037

Ready to race!
not sure what to do. I still have a year before my CPO warranty runs out. Ill probably see what the car is worth if I decide to go through. GTI has been good for me. Only issues were 2 wheel bearings but they covered that. And of course the 2 recalls but i dont care since that was free too. Only out if pocket expense was the oil change, plugs, fuel filter and a battery. biggest expense was buying a set of snow tires.

markus037

Ready to race!
i still have to do my DSG fluid but i was going to do that at my next oil change. I have 47,xx on the car now. I already have the parts at work.

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed

I went froma 2011 Golf 4 door auto to a GTI, the Golf got 2-3 mpg better then the GTI. The Golf was more comfortable of a ride, softer suspension, friendlier seating and easier to get in and out. Below 45mph the Golf was very quick and super quiet about it, I actually liked its transmissions better. The engine was bullet proof, with more power then most 4 cylinder economy cars. In the city the golf would be the better choice as far as price, comfort, maintenance cost.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
... from personal experience let me add as well, no intake valve decarboning, no multiple water pump replacements, no intake manifold replacements, no rear main seal (RMS)replacements after the PCV fails, no pre mature failed timing chain tensioner.

Great summary. I had an '08 Rabbit which I bought brand new and drove for 105k miles before trading. From personal experience I can also say that the 2.5L engine was damn near flawless. The car was super reliable and fun to drive overall.

By comparison my '14 GTI's water pump already died on me at 15k miles. And I know there are carbon cleanings in the distant future. But I knew about both of these things before I made the decision to buy it. I figured it was a small price to pay for something more fun, and with slightly better fuel economy.

I went froma 2011 Golf 4 door auto to a GTI, the Golf got 2-3 mpg better then the GTI.

This may be where my mk5 slightly differs from the mk6. My '08 Rabbit actually got worse fuel economy than my '14 GTI. On a good day out in the suburbs I got around 19-22 MPG with the 2.5L. With my GTI I can easily manage 26-29 MPG. But given the fact that the 2.5L uses 87 octane gas and is more reliable overall, I don't think taking a slight fuel economy hit was all that bad either.

Below 45mph the Golf was very quick and super quiet about it, I actually liked its transmissions better.

I actually agree with you here. I don't know why but my DSG GTI feels more sluggish at slower speeds. It feels like there's more resistance at the wheels, and you really have to coerce it with the gas pedal to get it to take off from a complete stop. I don't know if it's the DSG transmission or whether I'm just not used to dealing with turbo lag? You can solve most of it with "S" mode, but then you completely destroy your fuel economy in the process.

My '08 Rabbit felt much more smooth and nimble at slower speeds by comparison. I don't really feel my GTI being quicker until I start to hit highway speeds. That's when it just picks up and goes, where my old Rabbit would normally start "running out of breath" and lag a bit. Don't get me wrong I still love my GTI, but given the fact that I spend more of my time in the city/suburbs there are times where I miss the Rabbit's smooth low-end power. :(

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Wow, your car is low miles. I would keep it as others have said, you'll lose a bunch of money to switch. And you'll miss the GTI.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
No. No one has ever went from a GTI to a Golf. They might start doing so now that the f25 has come out though.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Wow, your car is low miles. I would keep it as others have said, you'll lose a bunch of money to switch. And you'll miss the GTI.
Ya 47K is low but since you still have some warranty left and you have a 2011 TSi engine, you should get your Timing Chain Tensioner version checked and replaced under the warranty ASAP.

zrickety

The Fixer
They will not just replace a tensioner under warranty, unless it fails. The old revision works just fine in many cars, but it's worth changing at higher miles.