GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

JenkumLover

I want to convert my 2011 GTI to the Golf R AWD system. I am experienced in metal fabrication so anything that needs to be fabbed, cut or welded will not be a problem.

I know I will need all of the rear end drivetrain components and a Golf R transmission.

Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to how much the parts would cost if bought directly from VW?

I know I could just trade up for the Golf R, but I dont want a Golf R, I like my GTI and Id like to build something unique.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i may be wrong but you can contact Haldex and find out what needs to be done and how much it would cost you...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Some how it does not seem cost effective, even if you swallow the loss and trade in the GTI for a R it might still be cheaper....

nekkehd

Ready to race!
just get an r32

Uberryan

Banned
Trade up to a Golf R when they arrive, save the $30k it'll cost to convert the car over.

Stevec717

Ready to race!

kyclops

Ready to race!
In to see if this goes anywhere. Could be interesting if you're serious.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Instead of fitting the GTI with awd, why not get an R and modify it to look like a GTI? Seems like that would be much cheaper. I'm sure there are many GTI owners that would swap out their bumpers, skirts, etc. Plus give cash on top of it. And then you still have that sweet R interior.
Just a thought.

JenkumLover

I dont see what would be so difficult about this, the easiest would be to have the rear suspension and rear drivetrain parts from a totalled Golf R as well as the transmission and driveshaft. I would then need to connect a haldex controller. I dont think I would need to cut or weld anything, looks like it should all bolt up to pre existing mounting points. Maybe I would need a fuel tank from a Golf R if the GTI one was in the way of the rear drive componets.

The Golf R is the same exact unibody chassis as the GTI, this is realistically not that hard to do if you have the parts from the Golf R.

Its almost boring really, I may get the rear end parts and decide to put a V8 engine up front and have a rear wheel drive GTI, then I wouldnt have to bother with the haldex and all that.

How much would a 2011 GTi engine and transmission with 5000 miles on it sell for?

I would have to spend at least $10,000 to upgrade to a Golf R, which doesnt interest me at all. For $10,000 I could have 500hp V8 rear drive GTI. Any fabrication work I have to do is free becase metal fabrication is my specialty.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The question isn't how, it's why? and the V8 swap into a GTI... why? this for quarter mile, for show, just for shits and giggles for a project's sake or? :::scratching my head on this one::

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
The question isn't how, it's why? and the V8 swap into a GTI... why? this for quarter mile, for show, just for shits and giggles for a project's sake or? :::scratching my head on this one::

x2 I have to agree with Gunkata. I don't see your logic or what you are trying to accomplish. First you're wanting and AWD swap and now you're talking about a rearwheel v8 GTI? seems pointless why waste your money doing all this to your car. I think you may have purchased the wrong car when you thought about buying your GTI. just my opinion.

Mount uer engine in the back and go RWD xD