GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
There's another point I haven't noticed anyone bringing up. VWs 4motion systems are based off of FWD "when the front wheels slip the rear wheels grip" basically opposite to BMW and nearly identical to Mini's new All4 system. When you put RWD into a FWD car it's going to kill handling all of VW and Audis cars with the exception of the R8 are made to be FWD biased.

Anyway going back to AWD if you find salvaged parts and can perform the work yourself it should end up being what a base R would cost including what you've already paid for the GTI. Now if you want to be a true badass you'll shove an Audi 4.2 under the hood or even a new 3.0 supercharged, then you sir would have the most awesome mk6 GTI ever.

But still won't compare to my Harley twin cam 88 Mk1 GTi.......one day one day.

Just fuckin dooooo eeeet

FinalOne

Ready to race!
im sure in can be done couse i've seen an AWD GTI in Greece.
i think they also post some videos somewhere in this forum.
try search for their post and contact them for details.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I think the op is just high off of some jenkum and isn't thinking "realistically" lol jk. I'm sure this could happen and it would be a badass GTI but will it perform to how you think it will? I'd much rather spend the money to do things to the GTI that you know will turn out better. Stage 3 kit plus all engine mounts, TBE, best intercoolers, best street tires, cosmetic looks, etc. You can still make a badass GTI unique without having to do AWD and engine swaps. Plus how reliable will your GTI be after you do all that is planned?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Since OP mentioned $10K being something that he is not willing to spend to trade up to an R, that might be his limit. And I don't see this swap to AWD being less than that. Most parts you get off the parts catalog will cost more than what you paid for on a car that comes with them. And unless you find a totaled R with most of the part still in tact(from non-US source if you want to do this before the R show up on our shore), you will HAVE to buy something from VW and that will add up over 10K pretty rapidly....

Money no object, it might be a cool project, but for money no object there are a lot more interesting project I'd attempt than this....for most consumer product if you can buy it its' probably better to do that instead of making it....Though crazier things have been done....

zee

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drivetrain from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.

This.:thumbsup:

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
it HAS been done on a similar skoda (FWD 2.0tsi) here.. there was a thread about a very powerful skoda i don't remember very well.. i do remember that they said it could be done for around 6000 or 7000$ by them..
if i ever come across it again i'll tell you :thumbsup:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
OP:

The MKV GTI/R32 swap mentioned earlier was being done entirely by the owner. He/she had all the necessary skills in welding, fabrication, etc and did all the work in the garage. The issues they ran into were basically that you will need the floor, gas tank, entire drivetrain, and entire electrical system (you need most of it so might as well be all) in order to control the AWD. IIRC they could successfully install the hardware, but they couldn't afford the supporting systems necessary to actually make it work.

Since the Golf R is not here yet, you might be able to source a MKV and retrofit the systems, or as mentioned try a CC. But buying new this will cost you more than a Stage III Golf R would and it would still have less power.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
How programmable are the controller for the AWD system on these cars if you have access to it? Moving something from a CC to a Golf may be physically doable, but the calibration parameter will be quite different as the platform it was programmed for will be different. Wheel base, track, weight distribution, suspension geometry...etc all plays into how the chassis controller commands the AWD system....granted I'd imagine the 4Motion system is not nearly as sophisticated as something off a Lancer Evo or something....

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I don't see why everyone is discouraging him. It's his GTI, let the man do what he wants. Personally, I think it would be interesting to see a GTI done up like that. Would I do it? No... but I saw a passat at Waterfest with a vr-6 in the trunk ( and still the engine in the front) which made even less sense to me. I also think it's cool he wants to do something a little more unique than dropping a chip and an intake in his car (which is what I'll probably end up doing because I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined).

mjhubbard

Ready to race!
Because no one wants to see a nice new 26k car get torn up, torn apart, just to find out the whole thing was impossible in the first place and now you are forced to put the whole thing back together and loose all the money already spent.

The first step of any mod should be the study of its viability and ease of install. The points made here are valid.