GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage one vs Stage two

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup perfectly fine.

Okay. So are there any consequences to running stock ic on a stage 1 to a stage 2? It can get hot and humid in the summer months. It's not a daily driver but will be driven frequently. I just don't want to risk burning something up or severely shortening the life of my motor. I know Apr says it's fine, I just wanted to verify.

urbanevil

Ready to race!
Okay. So are there any consequences to running stock ic on a stage 1 to a stage 2? It can get hot and humid in the summer months. It's not a daily driver but will be driven frequently. I just don't want to risk burning something up or severely shortening the life of my motor. I know Apr says it's fine, I just wanted to verify.
Heatsoak, thats about it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

Yup, you'll just get heatsoak, and power will be down. A bigger IC will slow down that effect before it heatsoaks vs stock IC

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, you'll just get heatsoak, and power will be down. A bigger IC will slow down that effect before it heatsoaks vs stock IC

So what is heatsoak exactly and how will it negatively impact my motor? Any worse than stage 1? Because I'm already stage 1.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
So what is heatsoak exactly and how will it negatively impact my motor? Any worse than stage 1? Because I'm already stage 1.

heatsoak happens when you're stock also. its when the intercooler can't dissipate enough heat going back into the turbo, and super hot air results in less power. in general colder air is denser and makes more power. i dont know all the technical details and someone probably has a better explanation for it.

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
heatsoak happens when you're stock also. its when the intercooler can't dissipate enough heat going back into the turbo, and super hot air results in less power. in general colder air is denser and makes more power. i dont know all the technical details and someone probably has a better explanation for it.

So would anyone recommend not going to stage 2 if I don't plan on upgrading intercooler?

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
I would argue the stock intercooler is barely adequate for stock tune. I'm at Uni stage 1+, but added the Uni IC since I had a leaking radiator and the additional labor was essentially zero. ..night and day as far as smooth pull to redding over and over. What gets overlooked is the much lower pressure drop in a bigger IC...so the turbo doesn't have to work as hard to make the PSI. Yes the engine will run if you have,stock IC and stage 2...but it's hardly optimal. While an IC doesn't 'add' power, bigger ones minimize power losses due to pressure drop or heat soak.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I was Stage1 for around 2 years before switching to Stage 2 last May. I honestly can't say much about it regarding a power difference. I think Stg1 actually made you think you were going faster than you really were because of the quick surge in power that it brought you. Stg2 it smooths it out as everyone states but honestly, it feels like less of power because less of an immediate kick as Stg1 had. Regardless, both aren't going to put you into record breaking numbers as I've come to learn with this car.

It's either big turbo or getting a stg1/2 tune just to keep up with most cars today.

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
I just ordered the ecs tuning brand downpipe on sale for 480 bucks. Normally 750 dollar pipe easy. 200 cell cat on it. I'm stoked to get it on and installed. Even if I don't feel a huge increase in power I have a feeling the sound will be enough for me. I have a catback from Cobb right now. Great tone, just a little quiet