GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
I think the biggest benefit would have been to show what its capable of and get more people excited about it. However I can see it from both sides where if they put out a pro tune number people are going to expect that and be pissed if they dont match it so.....

That's true too hahaha. Kind of a lose lose situation for them.

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
...... il leave this here....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
That's the one I was referring to, made as much as apr/UNI cars typically make but has a couple hundred more into it now.

How do you figure? Here's the prices of said tunes with at home tuning or OBD scanning/map switching like Cobb can.

K04 from APR:
1. $599 For Tune
2. $149.99 for Stage 2
3. $499.99 for K04 tune
4. Dealer fee (We'll just call it $0 for benefit of the doubt)
Total: $1,250
After Resale of all software: $1,250

K04 from Uni:
1. $750 for Tune (Without Uniconnect)
2. $150 Uniconnect+
Total: $900
After Resale of all software: $900

Cobb:
1. $650 Cobb AP
2. Protune for K04: ~$250
After resale of all software: (900-500)= $400

So that dyno proves that you can make standard K04 numbers on all three mentioned tunes. Compared to the other tunes when you level the playing field as much as physically possible (Keeping in mind Cobb STILL has more features like the gauges, vdyno, and better logging then APR or Uni when you buy all the possible options for APR/Uni), Cobb is comparable at face value. When you consider resale Cobb becomes twice as cheap as Uni and three times as cheap as APR. I get what you are doing man, trying to keep peoples expectations realistic, but you must see the purpose is meant for people that might go past the stock turbo in the future. These people might not have a plan to go K04/F23T/BT right now but the Cobb gives them insurance that they CAN with no extra hassle in the future.

These people just need to dyno tune a better turbo, that's all.

Exactly. When coupled with a bigger turbo like the F23T, a custom tune will be WAYYYY better than the Eurodyne base or K04 files people have been forced to use in days past on the F23T. I think the Cobb AP and a FrankenTurbo will go together quite nicely.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Quick question: Do you need to hook up to a battery charger if you're just switching maps? I wanna bump up a map or 2 for my drive home this afternoon.
I've switched back and forth multiple times now and haven't connected to a charger. I've just turned off the radio and made sure nothing is using power.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

andysamland

Ready to race!
How do you figure? Here's the prices of said tunes with at home tuning or OBD scanning/map switching like Cobb can.

Exactly. When coupled with a bigger turbo like the F23T, a custom tune will be WAYYYY better than the Eurodyne base or K04 files people have been forced to use in days past on the F23T. I think the Cobb AP and a FrankenTurbo will go together quite nicely.

Did you really just compare a base eurodyne tune to a protuned cobb tune? How about put a pro tuned eurodyne car up against a pro tuned cobb car. I'm sure they will be nearly identical

Azzore1

Ready to race!

Protune on 91 vs E30 mix, car was making 238 whp and 278 wtq so this feels like going from stock to stage 2 all over again.

Sent from my space shuttle using Tapatalk

timhelfrich

Protune on 91 vs E30 mix, car was making 238 whp and 278 wtq so this feels like going from stock to stage 2 all over again.

I saw this on another post or FB or something. I want to believe a little K03 and some messing with timing could produce this graph but I'm skeptical. Seems like there is a bit too much smoothing/correction on the graph. Either way, sounds like the car rips after the tune and you should definitely give an update on how the E30 mix does long term.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion

K04 from APR:
1. $599 For Tune
2. $149.99 for Stage 2
3. $499.99 for K04 tune
4. Dealer fee (We'll just call it $0 for benefit of the doubt)
Total: $1,250
After Resale of all software: $1,250

K04 from Uni:
1. $750 for Tune (Without Uniconnect)
2. $150 Uniconnect+
After Resale of all software: $900

Cobb:
1. $650 Cobb AP
2. Protune for K04: ~$250
After resale of all software: (900-500)= $400

That guy already had a UNI tune I believe so wouldn't have had to spend as much to upgrade.

If he went apr it's just $899 you don't have to buy it separately to get up to the k04 software.

He spent $650 on the AP and $450 on the protune. Most shops aren't gonna tune it for $250. You might get an "e-tuner" to do that because they don't have the overhead but a legit shop doing dyno tuning isn't gonna be that cheap.

Beating the dead horse part again, yes you get the AP and its features which is worth it to some, but I'm simply referring to the power basis of every saying how much better a protune will be versus OTS

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion

There is so much fail in this graph any one who knows anything about a k03 can see it. For one its on a very uncommon dyno with numbers that evidently can be easily skewed. Smoothing looks like it would be set to 30. For some reason torque peak is like 1000rpm later then it should. Power and torque goes back up after 6k rpm(not sure how that's possible on a ko3). And lastly this was dyno tune but they conveniently can't/won't post the base line numbers of the Cobb 91 base map, only their tuned numbers.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
These people just need to dyno tune a better turbo, that's all.
of all people on this thread, you probably have one of the more unique perspectives as cobb accesstuner could have a big effect on your turbo. have you gotten a chance to see what accesstuner has to offer compared to maestro? thanks.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Did you really just compare a base eurodyne tune to a protuned cobb tune? How about put a pro tuned eurodyne car up against a pro tuned cobb car. I'm sure they will be nearly identical

Maybe you didn't read last page but I compared the two because jettagtx originally commented in the picture of the Cobb K04 dyno being in line with the competition. Most people that run F23T's either run the base Eurodyne tune or a OTS K04 tune, hence why I mentioned Eurodyne. But since you bring it up here's the same math that I did for the other options:

K04 from Eurodyne:
1. $799 for Eurodyne Maestro
2. $~250 for protune
Total: $1050
After resale: ($1050-$100 for selling the eurodyne cable): $950.

So to recap, Cobb is still the cheapest way to go K04 with a customized file not even taking into account all the features like vdyno's, gauges etc. That Eurodyne doesn't give you. When you compare it to the price of the three after you sell everything you can, then Cobb becomes twice as cheap as Eurodyne. It's clear you have a bias towards Eurodyne judging by your sig, but I still have not seen a comprehensive argument that puts Cobb behind any of the other tuners when you use it for its intended purpose.

That guy already had a UNI tune I believe so wouldn't have had to spend as much to upgrade.

If he went apr it's just $899 you don't have to buy it separately to get up to the k04 software.

Beating the dead horse part again, yes you get the AP and its features which is worth it to some, but I'm simply referring to the power basis of every saying how much better a protune will be versus OTS

Yeah I gotcha, I was just comparing the products at face value for its intended audience (New customers). For the majority of people it would make no sense to switch from their tuner to Cobb.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I gotcha, I was just comparing the products at face value for its intended audience (New customers). For the majority of people it would make no sense to switch from their tuner to Cobb.

I was also comparing it as a new customer. For apr and UNI you don't have to do stage1, then 2, then k04. You can go right to k04 which is obviously the cheapest route. For example the guy that did the k04 protune spent $1100 on his tune. Where as he could have got apr for $899 or UNI I believe for $850. Obviously from the tune standpoint Cobb is actually more expensive.

Yes with Cobb you get gauge and logging, But for most people so far that doesn't work or you have to to be quick enough to base off map sensor and figure out how much boost you are making and crossing your fingers that's accurate. So to me and imagine many that is negated so the sole benefit being the flash at home convenience.

On a side note, do you have Cobb?