GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Genuinely curious as this is all new to me. How many iterations does it usually take to get to the "done" stage? Is it customer-driven or more of a case where you decide you've safely squeezed out as much power as you can for a particular car based on the logs?
Depends on how good the logs are. And if the vehicle has any mechanical issues.

I've done them in as little as 4 revisions before. And some can take 10-20 revisions.

I'm usually the deciding factor on if we're at the limits of the setup. But if the owner is happy before that point. Then fine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I'm still waiting to see a stock turbo Cobb OTS tune versus a protune, the only normal comparison I've seen so far was a tsi k04 which ended up making the same as apr and UNI tunes except he had like $400 extra into it

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
I'm sorry but, if you really think an OTS tune compares to a fully custom tune that rides the edge of any specific build. Then I'm sorry to say that you have no experience with a completely tuned vehicle.

Fact is, OTS tunes can not push limits effectively because of the variances between all vehicles, fuel quality, engine health, mods, sensor variation, atmosphere variables and just overall maintenance issues.

of course a custom map can put out more power than an OTS. i don't think anyone here is trying to argue against that.

what i'm talking about is how much it's going to cost to get there.

here are cobb's advertised gains for their stage 1 93 high boost:
+13.2% hp, +24.7% tq

well, APR's v2 stage 1+ is
+24.6% hp, +52% tq

yes, the OTS map from APR is literally 2x the gains that cobb is advertising. APR's tune can be had for $540 right now. with cobb you would need to spend ($650+$250=$900).

so the question is, for $360, how much more HP and torque can you make with the custom tune?

edit: i don't mean you as in "you", but more broadly across all protuners.

JS12

Ready to race!
Depends on how good the logs are. And if the vehicle has any mechanical issues.

I've done them in as little as 4 revisions before. And some can take 10-20 revisions.

I'm usually the deciding factor on if we're at the limits of the setup. But if the owner is happy before that point. Then fine.

Awesome! I'll be in touch once my clutch is installed and broken in.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
A lot of great info in here
After reading the complete thread I'm sure many people myself included still are undecided on which tune to go with

timhelfrich

If it's of any help to the undecided people. As of yesterday, my car is on stock tune.

I purchased APR stage 1 this past month, enjoyed it and drove on it for a week or two. Then went in for the update and went to the new stage 2. It didn't do so well for us DSG guys. Lots of shift problems and drivability was just bad in general. Go check out that thread if you're curious. Lucky for me, I was still within the 30 day money back guarantee for stage 1 and 2 so I'll have my money back shortly.

All that being said, I'm ordering Cobb in the next few days for a few reasons.
1. Cheaper. I spent $877 with tax on both stage 1 and 2 with the upgrade fee.
2. I get at home flashing, not important for all. I want peace of mind. Car blows up? I flash to stock and remove AP. A little more challenging to get to a dealer with APR or an extra $150 to have fully loaded switching.
3. I wanted live monitoring was planning on buying PolarFis (another $200-275 for those keeping track). Won't have to, Cobb has monitoring built in for my $650.
4. Power on the OTS is a bit low, I'm going to suck it up for a while until I sack up for a Pro Tune. Access Tuner Race should be out within the next 6-12 months. There will likely be more individual/smaller tuners at that point who will do email tunes. I have a lot of friends who did this for their high HP Mazdaspeed builds (450-600hp for those curious, most of them are still doing just fine to this day).
5. It can handle any future mods. I'll let a few more people test E85 first and blow some motors up, but that will ultimately be an awesome route I think, it ends up being so on every other platform lol. I might buy that K04 next year? No problem, it'll do that too.

Overall, I'm going to Cobb because of the feature and price. I can go whatever stage I want/need at any point with no issues. I know so many people on here are so against it, but if you look at features for your dollar? Can't really beat it.

On a side note, I'd love for a stage 3 APR kit owner to buy AP and get a protune. Idk at all, but my guess is that the protune would blow the current numbers out of the park.

Last edited:

JS12

Ready to race!
If it's of any help to the undecided people. As of yesterday, my car is on stock tune.

I purchased APR stage 1 this past month, enjoyed it and drove on it for a week or two. Then went in for the update and went to the new stage 2. It didn't do so well for us DSG guys. Lots of shift problems and drivability was just bad in general. Go check out that thread if you're curious. Lucky for me, I was still within the 30 day money back guarantee for stage 1 and 2 so I'll have my money back shortly.

All that being said, I'm ordering Cobb in the next few days for a few reasons.
1. Cheaper. I spent $877 with tax on both stage 1 and 2 with the upgrade fee.
2. I get at home flashing, not important for all. I want peace of mind. Car blows up? I flash to stock and remove AP. A little more challenging to get to a dealer with APR or an extra $150 to have fully loaded switching.
3. I wanted live monitoring was planning on buying PolarFis (another $200-275 for those keeping track). Won't have to, Cobb has monitoring built in for my $650.
4. Power on the OTS is a bit low, I'm going to suck it up for a while until I sack up for a Pro Tune. Access Tuner Race should be out within the next 6-12 months. There will likely be more individual/smaller tuners at that point who will do email tunes. I have a lot of friends who did this for their high HP Mazdaspeed builds (450-600hp for those curious, most of them are still doing just fine to this day).
5. It can handle any future mods. I'll let a few more people test E85 first and blow some motors up, but that will ultimately be an awesome route I think, it ends up being so on every other platform lol. I might buy that K04 next year? No problem, it'll do that too.

Overall, I'm going to Cobb because of the feature and price. I can go whatever stage I want/need at any point with no issues. I know so many people on here are so against it, but if you look at features for your dollar? Can't really beat it.

On a side note, I'd love for a stage 3 APR kit owner to buy AP and get a protune. Idk at all, but my guess is that the protune would blow the current numbers out of the park.

Sorry to hear about your APR issues. I debated for months on a tune and was resigned to leaving my car stock when I came across this thread. I've had my AP since launch and have been very happy with it for many of the reasons you listed above, with the added benefit of it having some resale value.

I've never been in an APR-tuned GTI so I have nothing to compare with, but power delivery on the Stage 1 93 High Boost map is smooth and strong...and this is with a clutch in need of replacement.

timhelfrich

Sorry to hear about your APR issues. I debated for months on a tune and was resigned to leaving my car stock when I came across this thread. I've had my AP since launch and have been very happy with it for many of the reasons you listed above, with the added benefit of it having some resale value.

I've never been in an APR-tuned GTI so I have nothing to compare with, but power delivery on the Stage 1 93 High Boost map is smooth and strong...and this is with a clutch in need of replacement.
Glad to hear that, currently waiting for my APR dealer's refund to clear my bank account and will order this same day lol. My biggest complaint was that their tune was causing clutch slip on my DSG which is surprising, considering there are many people on K04's with much higher HP/torque who have no issues.

I'm 90% sure the power will be lower, but from the sounds of it, more smooth. We'll see! Either way I'm excited to give it a go. And bright side, with the extra money I'm a few bucks closer to getting a DSG tune with extra clutch clamping pressure to alleviate those issues should they come up.

STEIGS

I agree with JS2 installed high boost 93 last night, pulls hard back road or highway. I also just installed an INJEN stage 1 intake definitely makes a difference and the waste gate release noise is addicting.

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
of course a custom map can put out more power than an OTS. i don't think anyone here is trying to argue against that.

what i'm talking about is how much it's going to cost to get there.

here are cobb's advertised gains for their stage 1 93 high boost:
+13.2% hp, +24.7% tq

well, APR's v2 stage 1+ is
+24.6% hp, +52% tq

yes, the OTS map from APR is literally 2x the gains that cobb is advertising. APR's tune can be had for $540 right now. with cobb you would need to spend ($650+$250=$900).

so the question is, for $360, how much more HP and torque can you make with the custom tune?

edit: i don't mean you as in "you", but more broadly across all protuners.
Can't really answer that question fully as to how much more power I'll make protuning someone's MK6 on Cobb compared to the APR OTS. I'm working on couple customer currently for protunes. I'll be sure to post results when completely done.

But I can say I'm positive the gains over any OTS with be well more than worth the price of admission.
Awesome! I'll be in touch once my clutch is installed and broken in.
Sounds good man.