GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

bizlipkick1

honestly, the drop looks like the drop on my old 20th- (which was perfect, my wife hated my slammed RSX type S, almost to the point of not riding in it, the 20th she loved, smooth over train tracks and such) and while it's not "slammed" in the normal sense, its a great deal considering your staying under warranty and such.
My old GTI the day i picked it up

newgtigeorge

Passed Driver's Ed
honestly, the drop looks like the drop on my old 20th- (which was perfect, my wife hated my slammed RSX type S, almost to the point of not riding in it, the 20th she loved, smooth over train tracks and such) and while it's not "slammed" in the normal sense, its a great deal considering your staying under warranty and such.
My old GTI the day i picked it up

Your "20th" looks great. It's such an iconic car.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
DG spring owner here (GTI). Had Koni coilovers, and can tell you first hand that I'm super happy to have switched over. (The progressive springs made the on center 'feel' slightly mushy.)
Wish the car had these from the factory. Its a bit lower, more responsive, less body roll, better poise & platform, with virtually no change in ride quality from stock.

Dan knows what he is talking about. His knowledge of 'proper' for these cars is extensive as he has tried a vast amount of aftermarket equipment for them.

Ten thumbs up.

x2 what he said....that's the best way to sum it all up there (in bold)

And thanks man :thumbsup:

oeguy

Ready to race!
I love the look and can see how the linear spring would be a way better option if you want to retain the OE feel. The one thing that I must question is that I really don't see VW honoring any type of warranty simply because according to them this isn't the correct application for the car regardless if it works or not. Just my opinion

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The one thing that I must question is that I really don't see VW honoring any type of warranty simply because according to them this isn't the correct application for the car regardless if it works or not. Just my opinion

Sort of true, but it's up to the dealer though

Slammed on coils or H&R Super Sports or something.....forget your warranty (on the suspension components)

But a mild drop on the VW/DriverGear springs....I highly doubt they'll give you crap for it

One of my local dealers installed these springs on a showroom GLI...so yeah...I hardly see an issue here

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I still wonder why they say its is not for the GTI when it is obviously lower and fits?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
DG spring owner here (GTI). Had Koni coilovers, and can tell you first hand that I'm super happy to have switched over. (The progressive springs made the on center 'feel' slightly mushy.)
Wish the car had these from the factory. Its a bit lower, more responsive, less body roll, better poise & platform, with virtually no change in ride quality from stock.

Dan knows what he is talking about. His knowledge of 'proper' for these cars is extensive as he has tried a vast amount of aftermarket equipment for them.

Ten thumbs up.

Any pics of your car?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
He's (Simmsled) got a MK5 GTI with the DG springs on it (I know him from golfmkv)

Yup. 2009 2-door, TSI, manual. Will affect a 2010 or 2011 just the same. And I have not taken any pics of it with the DG springs because my car is covered in salt and grime right now. :yikes: Might take a dirty winter shot tonight tho.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well I'll let Simmsled post his own pictures, but here are pics from when I had the DriverGear springs on my old MKV GTI....2009, 2 door, manual, 17's

Similar drop to what I have on my MK6:

Compared to stock...look at the horrible front wheel gap!

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
That mkV actually looks like it sits higher than my mkVI on the same springs. But not bad considering that mkV was a freakin 4x4.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
That mkV actually looks like it sits higher than my mkVI on the same springs. But not bad considering that mkV was a freakin 4x4.

~ Roman

Yeah, the MKV's sat alot higher from the factory.

ksing44

Ready to race!
The photos are nice, but I keep hoping someone will actually measure from the ground to the fender lip. I would be interested in measurements of other stock Golf TDIs, GTIs, and cars with driver gear springs, H&R springs or cup kit and the Eibach springs.

I have the Golf TDI 4-door, so a GTI is supposed to be a little lower than mine in stock form. Mine is essentially 26" at all four corners, except I can measure as much as a 1/4 inch difference front to rear depending where I am parked. Actually I just remeasured mine a couple of days ago. Note that I am running the stock tire size, 225/45/17 and I am running the tires a little soft, 32 psi at all four wheels. With about 3/4 tank of gas, my measurements are listed below. I was parked in my garage, the most level surface I could find.

My Measurements - Golf TDI 4-door (stock suspension)
  1. front driver side: 26 inches
  2. rear driver side: 26 inches
  3. front passenger side: 25 7/8 inches
  4. rear passenger side: 26 1/8 inches

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

~ Roman

Well those also weren't stock tires either on the Momo 17's

If you look at the pictures with the OEM Denvers/17's....the stock Conti's had a straighter sidewall
The General UHP's were more rounded.....IMO

But anyways...I think it looks a tad lower on my MKVI