GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which oil is best

Jimmy orange

Passed Driver's Ed
Time for oil change and last time I had a buddy do it at pep boys cause I was bein lazy but I told him Mobil 1 and he looked it up and it recommended castrol syntech edge if I remember right. What y'all using. I change mine every 5k and this is my 40k oil change. Anything I should look for or do on 40k

Tg2098

Passed Driver's Ed
Recommended interval is 10k miles I thought?

zrickety

The Fixer
10k is too long between changes. Bobistheoilguy.com. I prefer mobil 1 over castrol.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Boy, this is a huge can of worms.
There are numerous threads and then there is
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

You can read until you're exhausted.

Even though many here insist on more frequent intervals than VW's recommended 10k changes there is no evidence to support that...particularly if you are not tuned.

There are a lot of good oils...just make sure they meet the VW 502 standard.

At BITOG Mobil 1 0W-40 is believed to be as good as (or the best of) any oil out there and it is readily available and reasonably priced. Castol 0W-40 is also very good.

There are a lot of boutique oils like Motul and Royal Purple that people on these forums like but at BITOG they are scoffed at.

Bottom line (based on evidence, not hearsay):
Untuned GTI: use Mobil 1 0W-40(or Castrol 0W-40) every 10,000 miles and you will be fine.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I use M1 because its cheaper than castrol in my area. I also change every 5k, if I was going 10k I would probably put more thought into it.