GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FYI : Technical Bulletin on all 2.0T engines - from 2008 to 2010

northfb52

Ready to race!
theres a couple of threads on this i started one i was told about a month ago by my dealer service mgr that they were wokring on something to fix this when something is goin to be done idk but i was told there working on it

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Has anyone gotten this fixed at the dealer?
If so was it covered under warranty and did the rattle go away?

northfb52

Ready to race!
21 10 01 August 25, 2010 2024061

Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System

Customers may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust area while accelerating from 1800-3000 RPM.

In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the following procedure:

1. Ensure that there is no physical internal or external damage to the turbocharger. If damage is observed, continue diagnosis and repair as necessary. If no damage is observed, proceed to step 2.

2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws.

3. Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the wastegate actuator rod (figure 1) and take the vehicle for another test drive.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11100&page=2
last post has pictures
Figure 1

If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise is quieter or has changed in pitch, DO NOT replace the turbocharger. Remove the weight, create a VTA ticket in ElsaWeb and contact the Volkswagen Technical Helpline

Last edited:

northfb52

Ready to race!
i went to the dealer had this put on the noise was reduced not fixed they called techline and were told this is normal and to remove the weight then next day i got called and was told vw is working on a solution to fix this noise

APdubbin

Ready to race!
i went to the dealer had this put on the noise was reduced not fixed they called techline and were told this is normal and to remove the weight then next day i got called and was told vw is working on a solution to fix this noise

When did you go to the dealer?

northfb52

Ready to race!
about a month age havent heard anything since

northfb52

Ready to race!
ive herd both mine does it at between 1800-3000 stock and i called techline with this and kevin got the call from customer care that they were working on a fix ill take u for a ride if i can look at ur catch can set up i bought one off of here i wanna make sure i put it on right

also i havent herd mine since ive been stage 1

Last edited:

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know if there are any short/long term consequences by leaving this weight in there?

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know if there are any short/long term consequences by leaving this weight in there?

As long as it is secure I don't see an issue with leaving it on, but I'm no VW tech. I plan to put 1 or 1.5 oz wheel weight on mine myself and secure it with a ss hose clamp so I can be sure it won't move. If it doesn't make a difference it will come right back off and I'll just wait for a full fix from VW (if it ever comes).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If the wheel weight affects the sound then I guess its a vibration frequency issue, I wonder if you can just machine a piece of weight and just JB weld it on the arm...