GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
I actually have a friend who programs for iracing and he’s getting me a code for free trial access once I move down to Florida next week and get set up there. I’m pretty stoked because I’ve heard it’s way less bumper car like than console racing games.

Jaber

Modero
I actually have a friend who programs for iracing and he’s getting me a code for free trial access once I move down to Florida next week and get set up there. I’m pretty stoked because I’ve heard it’s way less bumper car like than console racing games.

Oh dang. In4FreeHookup.

iRacing can get expensive, cause you have to buy the tracks/cars. But you can start out with the free stuff and slowly work your way towards the paid content. It's nice that you can take a break and come back to it later on and subscribe again, you won't lose what you purchased.

In the beginning... it will be bumper cars. Don't focus on winning, focus on surviving and finishing in a decent position. If you can get away from the pack, do it. Otherwise just try to get a good safety rating.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Oh dang. In4FreeHookup.

iRacing can get expensive, cause you have to buy the tracks/cars. But you can start out with the free stuff and slowly work your way towards the paid content. It's nice that you can take a break and come back to it later on and subscribe again, you won't lose what you purchased.

In the beginning... it will be bumper cars. Don't focus on winning, focus on surviving and finishing in a decent position. If you can get away from the pack, do it. Otherwise just try to get a good safety rating.

I won 3 races during the beta of GT using that strategy. I usually qualified top 5 and even though I was faster than the better qualifiers starting out, I would let them all take each other out and usually by the third lap I would dive bomb them while they were rub racing and just pulled away from the pack to victory. I’ve found that a lot of the best qualifiers are not good consistently and if you’re patient, victory is very much within reach on any given track

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

asseto corsa and gran turismo are fine racing sims...just gotta join up with SNAIL (sunday night american interactive league)

i was part of it for awhile, you have to use a certain car with certain tires etc etc and set a qualifying lap. from there your time will be reviwed and you will be put into 1 of i think 8 divisions. The division you end up in will determine skill, you will sit in this division until the moderators deem you good enough to move up. Races are sunday night around 8 or 9 i believe, there is no racing lines OR assists besides abs (model depending) and make/model is predetermined a week before.

When they announce the cars and track a week before, they have private rooms you can practice in with all snail members. Practice is huge part to winning come sunday...the people in your division will pretty much be your friends instantly since youll see them in practice room throughout week and on sunday night. Pretty cool actually...log in to your room at 7pm for prerace practice etc....room be like "hey bob. jim. rick. carlos. sanderz. hows everyone doing?" :bellyroll:

SNAIL is pretty tough league, they have forums just like this where you can talk about races and what not. If you get bumped in a race or dive bombed etc, you can submit it to your division leader for review. They have all the videos saved and will penalize those who cause incidents. Pretty cool how organized it is.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
asseto corsa and gran turismo are fine racing sims...just gotta join up with SNAIL (sunday night american interactive league)

i was part of it for awhile, you have to use a certain car with certain tires etc etc and set a qualifying lap. from there your time will be reviwed and you will be put into 1 of i think 8 divisions. The division you end up in will determine skill, you will sit in this division until the moderators deem you good enough to move up. Races are sunday night around 8 or 9 i believe, there is no racing lines OR assists besides abs (model depending) and make/model is predetermined a week before.

When they announce the cars and track a week before, they have private rooms you can practice in with all snail members. Practice is huge part to winning come sunday...the people in your division will pretty much be your friends instantly since youll see them in practice room throughout week and on sunday night. Pretty cool actually...log in to your room at 7pm for prerace practice etc....room be like "hey bob. jim. rick. carlos. sanderz. hows everyone doing?" :bellyroll:

Is that what snailracing.org is?? I kept seeing people post it in prerace chat and was curious about it. I love league racing so I’m totally going to join. Also send me a request @sanderzzz_

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Is that what snailracing.org is?? I kept seeing people post it in prerace chat and was curious about it. I love league racing so I’m totally going to join. Also send me a request @sanderzzz_

^
like i said its pretty intense..most of these guys come from real life racing backgrounds or at the very least understand braking zones, lines and techniques.

id give it a week or 2 since new gran turismo coming out, start practicing without driving line on, regular sports tires, grip real, slipstream real, track edge real, boost off etc...

i just remembered my biggest complaint was the time it started at "Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern " ...830 is supposed to be start, you might get people with issues connecting or whatever. so more like 9. then there is qualifying and then actual races. i remember one night we didnt finish till like midnight, which isnt a huge issue unless you have to work early the next day. hard to fall asleep after you been full focus for that long. youll go to bed tossing and turning picturing the track you just drove lol.

you will make friends with these guys, i found that pretty cool. 2 mins in theyll be welcoming you, introducing themselves and offering help.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion

^

like i said its pretty intense..most of these guys come from real life racing backgrounds or at the very least understand braking zones, lines and techniques.

id give it a week or 2 since new gran turismo coming out, start practicing without driving line on, regular sports tires, grip real, slipstream real, track edge real, boost off etc...

i just remembered my biggest complaint was the time it started at "Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern " ...830 is supposed to be start, you might get people with issues connecting or whatever. so more like 9. then there is qualifying and then actual races. i remember one night we didnt finish till like midnight, which isnt a huge issue unless you have to work early the next day. hard to fall asleep after you been full focus for that long. youll go to bed tossing and turning picturing the track you just drove lol.

Flight school is pretty backed up so even though I’m getting down there next week I won’t see the cockpit for a while I don’t think. Might as well get right into it. Plus I earned hella credits this week so I got money for cars

Jaber

Modero
I won 3 races during the beta of GT using that strategy. I usually qualified top 5 and even though I was faster than the better qualifiers starting out, I would let them all take each other out and usually by the third lap I would dive bomb them while they were rub racing and just pulled away from the pack to victory. I’ve found that a lot of the best qualifiers are not good consistently and if you’re patient, victory is very much within reach on any given track

Yeah, it's one thing to hot lap and another to stay in the battle and win. Gets crazier when you're in a multi-class race. One moment you're 2-3 seconds ahead and the next you're hitting traffic from the slower car class and your opponents are on your 6 now. Then when you get into longer races, you have to worry about tires and fuel.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Man if you could crank out 30mpg AVG on this car I applaud you.

Sure cruising at 60-70 in 6th gear can get me high 20's almost 30's on instant MPG but avg mpg is hard to pass 18 with how much I drive it.

Regardless, it's a blast and I try to not think about the gas lol but it does add up. Gonna pump some gas later and hoon with the bottle. Maybe I'll find that CTS-V from a few weeks ago...

my 99 FRC (from memory) averaged 25 mpg. If I babied it, I could totally see 30 mph being achievable. 6th gear was almost no effort in that car to cruise in.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie

Generally holds true in real life, too. Qualifying can be important, but consistency is much more so.

Lot of guys can throw down a flyer but can't back it up lap after lap.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it's one thing to hot lap and another to stay in the battle and win. Gets crazier when you're in a multi-class race. One moment you're 2-3 seconds ahead and the next you're hitting traffic from the slower car class and your opponents are on your 6 now. Then when you get into longer races, you have to worry about tires and fuel.

I hosted a 100 lap race last night on the oval with GR.4 class, fuel consumption 5x and tire wear 1x. Messed up my pit strategy and ended up coming in fourth. GT now has a setting for adjustable fuel maps in the HUD 1-5 with 1 being most power and 5 being lean. I was able to run full lean for about 10 laps and avoid having to pit with 3 laps left in the race.

Generally holds true in real life, too. Qualifying can be important, but consistency is much more so.

Yeah I’m very very consistent throughout a race. Usually no more than .5 seconds off per lap. I just pick them off one by one.

Jaber

Modero

I got out of iRacing right around when they launched a few improvements. How is it nowadays? Think I only got 1-2 races in, when they introduced dynamic track.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I got out of iRacing right around when they launched a few improvements. How is it nowadays? Think I only got 1-2 races in, when they introduced dynamic track.

NA miata, sport tires, monza....

put down a laptime.

in4competition

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie

:iono:

I'm a longtime iRacing fan so my opinion of "how is it these days" is about the same it's always been.

I also haven't done many Novice class races since ~2007. I jump into one on occasion if it's a fun track and/or I'm in the mood to drive the Solstice (er... they use one of the Miatas now for Novice don't they?)

I generally focus on a winter league, and then the longer endurance races that occur over the winter (Daytona, Sebring, LeMans tho that's usually late spring). I missed Petit, didn't even get an invite from the guys I usually roll with tho I figure that's likely due to me telling them I'm "out" for the summer races (like the 24H of Nurb, 6H of the Glen, etc.) Warmer months I usually just dabble here and there.

Lately been doing the time trials. Low commitment, can spread it out, if wife is gone and I have 45-60 minutes to myself I'll hop in and run 1-2.

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
19 MPG would be awesome. I have worked my average up to 12.8 with Darth Vader this week. The tires have to be sucking some of those MPG, but I cannot even get over 19 doing 55 in 6th gear atm. HP problems are savage.

Status
Not open for further replies.