GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to do about the neighbor’s cat climbing on my car?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
If you know the neighbor just say something and then say if it happens again then you’ll call animal control and have them remove the cat from your property. [emoji6]

Phur

Autocross Champion
Honestly one of the issues is that I do know the neighbors. I don’t have issue with them. If I were to say something to them about it, what could they even ultimately do about it? Tell the cat not to do it? Then there’s weirdness with the neighbor. I just want to be left alone when I’m at home.

For whatever reason, dogs are supposed to be kept on a leash and contained but cats are just allowed to run free wherever they want tearing up whatever they want. I don’t understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
If I were to say something to them about it, what could they even ultimately do about it? Tell the cat not to do it? Then there’s weirdness with the neighbor. I just want to be left alone when I’m at home.

exactly. they don't need to know. this is between you and the cat :paddle:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Honestly one of the issues is that I do know the neighbors. I don’t have issue with them. If I were to say something to them about it, what could they even ultimately do about it? Tell the cat not to do it? Then there’s weirdness with the neighbor. I just want to be left alone when I’m at home.

For whatever reason, dogs are supposed to be kept on a leash and contained but cats are just allowed to run free wherever they want tearing up whatever they want. I don’t understand.

My dad who worked in many cities as city manager etc actually told me there is an ordinance that cats can't be owned like a dog because of their free willed nature. He's pretty old now though not sure if that's still true.

Edit: ok after some research cats are considered property but are still free to roam to a point and don't need to be leashed. As long as they aren't causing damage etc in which case you could seek recourse from the owner granted you knew who the onwer was and could prove it was their cat.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
My dad who worked in many cities as city manager etc actually told me there is an ordinance that cats can't be owned like a dog because of their free willed nature. He's pretty old now though not sure if that's still true.

Edit: ok after some research cats are considered property but are still free to roam to a point and don't need to be leashed. As long as they aren't causing damage etc in which case you could seek recourse from the owner granted you knew who the onwer was and could prove it was their cat.

The problem lies in the fact that most people don’t give two shits about their belongings and my entire family is OCD as hell and notices every imperfection in pretty much anything. Everyone else would say that there is no issue. A cat sitting on the hood of my beloved car that I just spent two days detailing is a fucking problem. But the general public just sees it as I am being unreasonable and I am nuts.

Phur

Autocross Champion
If I’m honest, I wish that all of my neighbors animals would find themselves no longer among the living...

Is that so wrong?
Like I said, I just want to be left alone.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'd be mad too. I swear every time I wash my car something crawls on it. I get these weird spots of dirt that look like tracks, but there's never been any damage to the paint and I've never actually seen anything crawling on it. I feel like it has to be from a cat because otherwise I have no idea how dirt is getting on my car like that.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
The problem lies in the fact that most people don’t give two shits about their belongings and my entire family is OCD as hell and notices every imperfection in pretty much anything. Everyone else would say that there is no issue. A cat sitting on the hood of my beloved car that I just spent two days detailing is a fucking problem. But the general public just sees it as I am being unreasonable and I am nuts.

I feel u. Those little fuckers like leaving foot prints all over way worse than water spots

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I feel u. Those little fuckers like leaving foot prints all over way worse than water spots

You need to somehow get the cat to accociate being near ur car as negative I would try the animal replent recommendations.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Maybe get a car cover if you’re OCD, cats claws retract, I can’t imagine how it is doing any damage TBH! It’s just a cat, I wish I had so little to worry about that this would be an issue!

DELETE

Autocross Champion

Dude I’m in that boat with you. Kill the fucker and be at ease knowing it will NEVER touch your shit again. Fuck your neighbor too. Just my thoughts.

zrickety

The Fixer
If it was a Porsche, I could understand. You have a mass produced car that's basically 5 years old now. I have a bit of the OCD myself, but I gave up on my GTI looking perfect a long time ago. Chips, dents, scratches are all in your future.
The cat is winning lol.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
The cat is winning lol.

you cant let the cat win lol. Its the principal of the matter. I'm very OCD and take very good care of all of my belongings. It doesn't matter the value of what it being damaged, if my property is being damaged, I put an end to it. I think killing the cat is a little extreme but I would make it so that cat never wanted to jump on my car ever again. I would skip sound repellents. Large sized sticky traps like they use for mice? something to that affect.

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
I worked for a fabrication shop that was inundated with feral cats. You will not win this battle. Car cover, or get a place with a garage, or buy a car with damaged paint and stop caring. Once the neighbors cat gets the drift, another will takes it's place and if not, the raccoons will come around, or possums, or any other critter looking for warmth off that hood.

What helped: Planting rosemary all over the back easement behind the shop seemed to actually help a lot. Cats hate the smell, that and lemon juice. He also installed a PVC pipe on a hose with 5 motion sensor sprinklers attached. Cats walk by, they beep a few times then start spraying.. this sucked on windy nights because the cats would trigger the sprinklers and everything tarped would get water blown on it. They just learned to avoid the sprinklers. Same would go for your car on windy nights. The sound frequency pest deterrents would work, but they got used to it after a few days and would return. Someone brought up you need a variable one to keep changing the frequencies to keep them away for good.

Good luck. Owner spent thousands on bushes, traps, pest control, city reporting, didn't matter. I bet if I roll by there today I can find a few furries to pet.

Directly targeting the neighbors cat with a trap or something will lead you down a path of angry neighbors, and possible fines or jail time depending on how froggy you get. Some cities take cats super serious and I know in California if you kill a neighbors cat and are caught it can be a 5 figure fine. Hell, where I live if you kill a seagull it's over a grand in fines.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
It's just a cat, you should just get a car cover if you're that anal about it. It's not gonna damage anything unless you make it spaz out.