GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Welcome look forward to see the build play out. Like JettaGLI said def pick your tuner first and speak with them. Also as much as we all don't see eye to eye on everything here we all get along and happy to help where we can.

For my shameless plug if you have any interest in a cts kit cheap let me know i have one i am going to take off my mk5, i had it for sale before with trade ect but going to to sell it way cheaper. Its a gt3071 version, would include everything you need.

What are your plans for the mk5?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Oh also my car runs again. It just put down 550whp with the methanol turned completely off. Valves started to float because we swapped the intake valves I broke for IE ones without upgrading the springs. Head is getting fully built, I think they finished it yesterday.

s word

Ready to race!
Oh also my car runs again. It just put down 550whp with the methanol turned completely off. Valves started to float because we swapped the intake valves I broke for IE ones without upgrading the springs. Head is getting fully built, I think they finished it yesterday.

Why am I never at the shop when fun days like this go down.
Glad your back.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul

wait, 550whp with just a fifth injector? Because god damn...

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Dunno if anyone up on sema coverage...garrett released info on gtx gen 2 turbos...little more power

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Finally got around to swapping from the .82 to .63 Tial turbine housing. Picked up over 1300rpms of spool nothing else changed on a gtx3071r.

20psi by 4k. I figured I'd pick up maybe 500rpms, I'm pleased.

Deetz? New wheel profile?

God knows their turbine wheel is getting long in the tooth. Not that it doesn't work great, but I'd hope it's more than a refresh.

Last edited:

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Finally got around to swapping from the .82 to .63 Tial turbine housing. Picked up over 1300rpms of spool nothing else changed on a gtx3071r.

20psi by 4k. I figured I'd pick up maybe 500rpms, I'm pleased.

God knows their turbine wheel is getting long in the tooth. Not that it doesn't work great, but I'd hope it's more than a refresh.

3rd or 4th gear for 4k rpms?

No real details yet, but its on their site, they have some new big boy turbos...

the smaller frame gtx are stating 20% power increase, speed sensor port (id guess more for racing) and reverse rotational turbos for twin turbo apps.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Hey guys, this isn't a BT, but how much of an issue is this pin being loose? Would/could it cause boost loss, especially boost holding? Just looking for some info from turbo gurus.

https://vimeo.com/189577658

So the issue with pretty much all TSI ihi turbos is at that connection(i know this is a FT however). VW cost analysis made them not put in a 3cent bushing, it eventually wears out into a big hole causing play exactly like that wobbling. So if you had your downpipe off youd be able to pull the wastegate flapper open without moving the rod, ie p0299.

s word

Ready to race!
So the issue with pretty much all TSI ihi turbos is at that connection(i know this is a FT however). VW cost analysis made them not put in a 3cent bushing, it eventually wears out into a big hole causing play exactly like that wobbling. So if you had your downpipe off youd be able to pull the wastegate flapper open without moving the rod, ie p0299.

wasn't there a cheap clip (aftermarket) to hold it tight?