GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's 100% confirmed...... VW GOLF R Coming to US!!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
With a little luck, it'll have an MSRP under $40,000.

I hope so, or they are going to have a hard time selling it against the competition and in this economy.

AAU

Ready to race!
No way it'll start over $40K. Remember the base model is not loaded. No nav. No dynaudio. No sunroof. Euro would have to break its 08 highs. But the other direction is more Euro-dollar parity where VW makes some $ here. Greece and Ireland could cause more trouble. Spain, Portugal, Italy haven't even come up yet.

I think I have myself talked out of the R again. I did it before I decided to buy my GTI (cost of GTI + selling my other car < base R :( ) but the actual announcement brought it up again. Just might be tough when they are at the dealer...

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I hear ya - when they arrive, and depending on pricing, etc - I may have to try and test drive one just to see... LOL.

woofie2

Ready to race!
Golf R-

Priced much more than $36k and people will start jumping ship for an Audi,
(Audi A3 Quattro is 35k with an Auto and sport package. Audi TTS is 45k, TT is 37)

goonieman

Ready to race!
Step one:in the works
Step two: I am actually positive on my GTI, only 5000 miles after one year.
step three: wife is already convinced, she is the reason I got the GTI in the first place
Step four: well, relates to one and three being done, so step one needs to come through.

Already called the dealer I bought the other two dubs from, so I think I am good.

What I want to know is this the TFSI engine or is it going to be the TSI engine??
TFSI requires fuel pump injectors and the like for upgrading to big turbo, but TSI doesn't??

jwoods986

Passed Driver's Ed
Great, they are bringing it! Couple of observations:
1. Trans - surprised VW is only offering a manual, especially since they (and Audi) are really pushing the DSG/S-Tronic thing, but that's fine. Of course, since it is coming to the US with only 1 trans, the manual vs. DSG debating is in full swing - get over it! If VW decided to bring it with DSG only (I'm assuming the cost to certify isn't worth offering both trannys), then half of you would be bitching about that.
2. Engine - not too impressed to learn this has the motor with cam followers, timing belt, etc. (what most know as the "FSI" engine"), plus, it looks like it's only going to have 250 hp: http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars/2010/12/09/the-answer-is-yes-–-the-golf-r-is-coming-to-america/
3. Doors - I do like that they are going to offer 2 or 4 door configurations. And the biggie.............
4. Price. I can't imagine VW trying to sell this for 40K. I would hope VW would keep the price around the same as the R32 - $33K + $2K for nav. And stop with the "GTI is $10K cheaper", "you can make a GTI faster for $10K" crap. First off, it's apples to oranges comparing a base, cloth seat, no sunroof, GTI to a R that will have leather, sunroof, etc., standard. If you put the same stuff in a GTI that's standard on a R, then you're only really talking about 5 grand (assuming the R will be priced close to the R32). And you aren't going to get R performance for 5 grand. And not everyone likes to "rice" their cars out, some of us like to get a car that is exactly what we want, as is, with a WARRANTY!

All that said, I'm still interested in checking out an R when they show up here. :)

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
Great, they are bringing it! Couple of observations:
1. Trans - surprised VW is only offering a manual, especially since they (and Audi) are really pushing the DSG/S-Tronic thing, but that's fine. Of course, since it is coming to the US with only 1 trans, the manual vs. DSG debating is in full swing - get over it! If VW decided to bring it with DSG only (I'm assuming the cost to certify isn't worth offering both trannys), then half of you would be bitching about that.
2. Engine - not too impressed to learn this has the motor with cam followers, timing belt, etc. (what most know as the "FSI" engine"), plus, it looks like it's only going to have 250 hp: http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars/2010/12/09/the-answer-is-yes-–-the-golf-r-is-coming-to-america/
3. Doors - I do like that they are going to offer 2 or 4 door configurations. And the biggie.............
4. Price. I can't imagine VW trying to sell this for 40K. I would hope VW would keep the price around the same as the R32 - $33K + $2K for nav. And stop with the "GTI is $10K cheaper", "you can make a GTI faster for $10K" crap. First off, it's apples to oranges comparing a base, cloth seat, no sunroof, GTI to a R that will have leather, sunroof, etc., standard. If you put the same stuff in a GTI that's standard on a R, then you're only really talking about 5 grand (assuming the R will be priced close to the R32). And you aren't going to get R performance for 5 grand. And not everyone likes to "rice" their cars out, some of us like to get a car that is exactly what we want, as is, with a WARRANTY!

All that said, I'm still interested in checking out an R when they show up here. :)