GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of trading in for a M roadster...

CW GTi1

Ready to race!
$14.50 a quart and 7 quarts are needed. :laugh: how is that not expensive... Price some OEM brake pads/rotors. As well as OEM run crap tires.

M cars use regular high performance tires , none use run flats, only standard non M cars use run "craps". And you are right, 14.50 a quart is expensive, but you have to remember you are still maintaining a 60k car, so yes the maintain will be expensive compared to the gti or even the s2k

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
No one can say for sure its a good deal for you. If It makes sense to you, then do it. All the before posts are great information, and hopefully will help you make an informed decision. Ultimately, do what will make you happy. Those are some pretty sweet rides though!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Chiming in one more time... This thread makes me miss my M Roadster, so I'll say this — if you pull the trigger on this, you may very well sell it off in 1-2 years and loose your ass on it, but I guarantee you it will go down on your short list of your most favorite cars you've owned.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If no kids, no major concerns over warranty/maintenance and you have a hook up with a shop, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

DavC

i had 2 M Roadsters ... 98 and the last year of that model 02-03 i forget ..

bought the first one new ..

second one was a CPO car with low miles .. it was a blast ...

very night and day different from the fwd gti ...

i got my money out of it after a year ... still had low miles , and lots of Warranty left on it ..

insurance might be something to check out also ...

i gave up on convertibles after watching my wife's skin cancer treatment .. ! the MZ3 was just tooooo fast to keep a hat on ... !!
and it feels tiny with the top up .. !
the M roadsters don't usually have all the over complicated crap found on the other newer M cars ... they're pretty straight forward ...

i would think the Golf R would be even more fun .. !! wait a bit for a good used one .. !!?? i really think my 08 R32 was the cheapest fun car i've had .. and there's been a few ...

some photos found at www.myspace.com/musicbydavec

DavC

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think a Z4 M would be hella faster/more fun than a Golf R, stock for stock. My buddy test drove one before buying his S5... he regrets not getting the M. The M is visceral and hardcore. Sounds great too.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I think a Z4 M would be hella faster/more fun than a Golf R, stock for stock.

You are correct sir. :thumbsup:

My friend has the M Coupe 1999 I think. He has had this subframe failure twice:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1626574

The most recent episode has him without his baby for 12+ weeks.

My rear subframe cracked on my 2000 M Roadster and was fixed under warranty. Definitely a possible issue on the Z3 based models, but I don't think that problem is on the newerZ4 based models, which is was the OP is looking at.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
For the price though, I'd rather have a K04 GTI.

Obligatory pic of said car:

Z4-era M for comparison:

It's not pure sex like the S54 E38, but it is supposedly better to drive and probably marginally more reliable. Do it.

I'm slowly trying to convince my wife to let me buy my dad's '02 m-coupe (he drives it like an old lady), but I know that's a bad idea financially... so in the mean time I'm going K04.

Swayse

If you're even thinking about it - then YES, DO IT. Life is so short, experience as much as you can. Two of my favorite "fun" cars where a 1968 MGB and a 1974 FIAT X19. Both small, impractical 2 seaters I kept only a short time each, but enjoyed them with no regets.

I agree! I owned a 02 Z06 for about a year and a half, fun car, but it got old after awhile. I bought it for a decent price, sold it for $2,000 cheaper than I bought it for, and put about 17,000 miles on it. Just buy and sell smart, and have fun.